cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Voicemail screen goes blank / black when playing back message (T.5.3.0.44)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Visual Voicemail screen goes blank / black when playing back message (T.5.3.0.44)

Since the push of the new update of visual voicemail (T.5.3.0.44) with Android 4.1.1, the screen goes blank when the voicemail plays over the phone.  The task bar at the top of the screen is still visible and accessible. I can not get back to the voicemail screen unless a) the message comes to the end or b) I press the home or task manager button to drop out of the voicemail app.

When replaying the message, it goes black everytime.  Turning on speakerphone, it does not go black, but the message is not heard on speakerphone. Volume is at max.

Additionally, the voicemail messages will not play over bluetooth - phone calls and music will.  The messages did play over bluetooth before this update and were heard through the speakerphone function.

Android version 4.1.1

HTC Sense version 4+

Software version 3.15.651.16 710RD

HTC SDK API level 4.63

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Wizard

SpiresVideo,

Have you taken the phone in to be looked at by one of our Service and Repair Techs?  I am not seeing anything in the known issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having same issue and also the proximity sensor thing left over from the previous OTA update. All other issues have seamed to be resolve,,, time will tell.

SpiresVideo wrote:

Since the push of the new update of visual voicemail (T.5.3.0.44) with Android 4.1.1, the screen goes blank when the voicemail plays over the phone.  The task bar at the top of the screen is still visible and accessible. I can not get back to the voicemail screen unless a) the message comes to the end or b) I press the home or task manager button to drop out of the voicemail app.

When replaying the message, it goes black everytime.  Turning on speakerphone, it does not go black, but the message is not heard on speakerphone. Volume is at max.

Additionally, the voicemail messages will not play over bluetooth - phone calls and music will.  The messages did play over bluetooth before this update and were heard through the speakerphone function.

Android version 4.1.1

HTC Sense version 4+

Software version 3.15.651.16 710RD

HTC SDK API level 4.63

Let me know what Sprint says for a fix.

Thanks,

Jimmbbo

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same issue, very annoying. Reinstalling visual voicemail doesn't help, the problem remains. Can we get an update on this issue please?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issues of the Voicemail screen going black during playback.  But for me, the task bar, along with everything else is missing.  And now sometimes on phone calls with the speaker phone on it does the same thing.  Very annoying, I have to press the power button to put in standby mode and press it again to get the screen back.

Android Version 4.1.1

HTC Sense Version 4+

Software Version 3.15.651.16 710RD

HTC SDK API Level 4.63

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have performed a hard reset (3 times) and this is still an issue. Have not found a way to "re-install" the app or rollback the state of the phone before this update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does your screen go black when making a regular phone call?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, but it wakes up once you tilt the phone or press the power button. It also will connect the call through bluetooth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has told me they are aware of this issue....now...and HTC is supposedly going to push an update soon.  Anyone else gotten that same information?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have not heard anything about this...please provide more details as to what you heard regarding an upcoming fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

A Sprint rep told me HTC is aware of the vm issue and working on a fix.  That is all they could say.  Are you still having the issue?

Highlighted
Wizard

Hello all,

Thank you for the reports. After testing this myself, it does appear to be a part of an issue we have found with the proximity sensor in the phone. This is the sensor that will shut off the screen when you bring the phone to your face when in a phone call. In this case, the phone activates the proximity sensor while the visual voicemail application is playing. This issue appears to not be present when a Bluetooth or wired headset is attached when listening to a voicemail playback.

I can confrim EVOhasISSUEScomment. The development team and HTC will be releasing a maintenance release for the Jelly Bean software on your phones. I don't have any information as of yet as to when this will be released.

As a temporary work-around you may avoid the screen shutting off by using speaker phone and making sure the proximity sensor (Black slit below-to the left of the speaker) is not covered up. Alternately, connecting a Bluetooth or wired hands free device will also prevent the proximity sensor for activating.

We will make sure to keep everyone updated about the maintenance release.

Thank you,

Chris

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat