cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: Do Not Factory Reset if you have Activated Google Wallet

Master

WARNING: Do Not Factory Reset if you have Activated Google Wallet

! ! ! W A R N I N G ! ! !

This is just a warning folks. If you have activated Google Wallet and setup any credit cards or the PrePaid card, DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET without first going into Google Wallet and performing the Reset Google Wallet function first. The Reset Google Wallet function has to be performed within the Google Wallet App, you can not delete data or delete cache and hope to be ok. Once you have Reset Google Wallet, you can reset your device and you will be able to access wallet when your done.

With phones that have the NFC chip, a Factory Reset is known to wipe out the key that was generated when you activated any card in Google Wallet. Once this key has been wiped out, you have in a sense bricked Google Wallet to the point that you can not use Google Wallet from that point on. Non-seucre functionality of NFC will still function but all secure functionality will be broken. Although some at Sprint/Google/HTC know of the issue and are working on a resolution, the problem isn't widely known and at the moment it appears only a device swap will correct the problem.

Again, this issue seems to only apply if you have activated a credit card or the prepaid card within Google Wallet. If you have not activated a credit card or prepaid card within Google Wallet then you can do a reset to your hearts content.

If Sprint or Anyone tells you to do a Factory Reset, please be sure to Reset Google Wallet first.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
24 REPLIES
Master

Re: WARNING: Do Not Factory Reset if you have Activated Google Wallet

I'm bumping this because a Sprint representative just recently instructed a user to Factory Reset their device in another thread.

Again, if Google Wallet has been configured on the device and a factory reset is performed you will have Bricked Google Wallet and the NFC functionality from performing secure transactions for, as of this writing, the life of the phone.

Please instruct users to Reset Google Wallet prior to performing a Factory Reset.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Wizard

i also believe this to be true however you shuld list your source(s)...

many thanks for alerting the readers here...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've reset my phone a couple times (trying to fix this stupid saturation issue) how do I know if for sure I'm not secure connecting?  I had added my credit card to Google Wallet already.  Where do I look?

Master

Sure thing, here's a couple,

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/554851-sense-crashing-restarting-dont-reset-without-checking...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1675353

--

Master

If it's gone belly up, it will give an error similar to the following when you launch Google Wallet,

THE SECURE ELEMENT HAS STOPPED WORKING PLEASE CONTACT GOOGLE WALLET SUPPORT.

--

Journeyman

Okay, so I should go to Google wallet (I haven't been back since last reset) and start the process again and see if that message pops up?  What if I use a different account (use a different email) ?

Wizard

yep, those are good sources (im a mod over there ;-) )

based on what i have read from other posts and from android dev threads over at google, this is not actually a bug but rather a security measure to keep your financial data secure from a stolen handset, etc.

this does need to be addressed as something to do before a factory reset.  lack of knowledge on this specific issues is not bliss unfortunately...

Wizard

using a different account will not chnage anything. this is a physical issue local to the handset. so yes go through the motions and re-set up your account.

Journeyman

Ok thanks, I just went to set it up and THaNKfully as I'm back in the app I realized that when I went there before I had signed in but I had never added a card or paid for a google prepaid card or anything, I just signed in my account but didn't actually get the time to add a card or pre-paid card.  So I should be okay, right?  Thank you for letting everyone know this!