cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, let's have it - Your first impressions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, let's have it - Your first impressions?

Post your personal reviews here...looking forward to hearing what you all think.

163 REPLIES 163
Highlighted
Journeyman

So far I likie...not too impressed with the speaker volume compared to the original EVO, but not going to whine about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Best phone I've had so far. It's everything I expected and then some! My wife wants to trade in her iPhone for one of these lol. The quality and overall performance is beyond what I predicted. Apple really needs to step up their game. I can't wait till I get my beats headphones in 🙂

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had my hands on mine for about 5 hours now and i love it! I had to take it to a Sprint store to activate it and the 2 girls working there hadn't seen/played with one yet. Apparently i was the 1st person in that store today with the new beast. I let them play with it for about 10 minutes and now they both want to get one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh, i also picked up a brand new (in the unopened package) pair of beats audio earbuds today. They are $100 + tax at any Best Buy. I picked them up on Craigslist for $60.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Someone do me a favor go to YouTube in desktop mode with flash on... Do videos work for you? Mine won't play videos on YouTube on 3G or WiFi

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you guys know if there is an actual way to turn 4G on or off? I had heard rumors of LTE being rolled out in my area already, but I am only seeing the 3G and regular service bars. I haven't seen anything under any settings. I would think that there would have to be an option for disabling it.

You think it's possible they have that feature locked until they are ready to populate the LTE network? I mean it wouldn't be that hard to issue an OTA unlock area by area when they are ready...?? Thoughts?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just one guys opinion.

My wife and I are both coming from 2 years on HTC Hero's (my gosh, that phone sucked).  She upgraded to Galaxy s II last month.  The Galaxy s II is a great phone and here in Vegas runs great on the Wimax network.  I seriously considered the S II but wanted the latest and greatest.  I pre-ordered the Evo 4G LTE on day one, fully aware the LTE won't arrive in Vegas until who knows when and the last week seriously considered cancelling with all the customs as*pain.  Anyway, my Evo 4G LTE arrived today and here are my (so far) extremely limited impressions.

Screen - awesome

Speed - Awesome.  Mind you I'm coming from an HTC Hero but OMG, the improvement is mana from heaven (at least for me)

Form factor - Great.  Easily as solid as my wife's Galaxy S II and feels great in the hand.  My only issue is the 2 tone backing.  To be honest, it's uglier than the reviews made it out to be, oh well, I'm sure there will be after market fixes for that

WiFi Performance - The one thing I definitely noticed is a super, super dramatic improvement in WiFi capability (once again, this is compared to the HTC Hero).  The Evo 4G LTE quickly (superfast) ID'd my home network and quickly (superfast) connected.  Downloads are quick (superfast) and way beyond anything I ever saw with the HTC Hero.  Via WiFi, youtube videos run faster than my desktop and I'm a geek who builds my own desktops. Webpages load in the blink of an eye.

3G performance - don't know yet, will activate tommorow.  To be honest, I had been leaning towards returning the Evo 4G LTE and waiting for the Galaxy S 3 (seriously, the S2 is that good).  However, my first 6 hours with the HTC have been simply awesome and I'm a convert.  You won't be disappointed

REMINDER - this is just my humble opinion

Highlighted
Journeyman

Settings > mobile network > lte/cdma and choose cdma

Highlighted
Journeyman

Settings> mobile network> network mode> CDMA only

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you both

Highlighted
Journeyman

from opening the box and getting this thing in my hand I was real impressed --- it's got a nice feel and balance to it. the charger port is unfortunate but I'm moving over from a shift so I'm used to it.

I didn't activate the phone right away but used the wireless to setup my email --- this is where the improved electronics started to shine. The wifi hauls but^ --- darned near as fast as a typical laptop. Also while I was doing the setup I poked around the menus --- and again the "feel' of the beast is exceptional. Almost everything is where it was on my shift, only more of it --- lots more in some places.

After I backed up my old phone using backup pro plus I tried to activate via the web site. No dice. Had to do activate via a chat window --- no muss no fuss, phone made tthe call to sprint's test line.

After I was online I signed into google and downloaded my backup plus. After figuring out where the mem slot was I was able to restore all my apps, photos, music, txt, mms and call records. I use exchange for mail and google for my contacts. After very little messing around I had everything coming at me as I like it.

Did a few speed tests on wife and got 50 ms pings and 18 down and 6 up --- which is pretty close to my laptop. pings are a touch slow but all the results are 3 times better than my shift. I tested 3g at 150 ms / 480 d  / 350 u -- which is as pathetic as my shift. I run in wifi circles a lot, and I mean a lot, so I'm not eal concerned about the 3g speeds --- though I do want lte asap for those times I'm not using wifi.

I eventually got the ringer changed, the message sound changed and predictive text turned off.

Honestly I was going to wait for Sat morning to make the switch but as soon as I picked it up I couldn't not get it going. the UI is sexy, at least to me. And it's not a steenking Apple product so it's good with me. I've got some screen protectors and a case here some place but I can't find them --- I will and do that Saturday morning.

Yes, it's a damned nice phone --- and the excellent wifi is tops in my book. I'll keep messing with it but I'm really liking what I'm seeing with the lte.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Over 10hrs off charger from fully charged heavy use most the day been sitting at 4% battery the past 3 hrs...pretty good...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat