cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, let's have it - Your first impressions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Well, let's have it - Your first impressions?

to anybody who has the OG evo4g

how does the size compare? from pictures it doesn't seem to big too big of a difference due to how thin the lte is, but i would just like to know before i go pick mine up tomorrow

Highlighted
Journeyman

I like the phone,  but after having the old evo for 2 years I guess I really had my hopes up too much.  The camera is my main disappointment.  Saturation is too high and my dog looks very orange.  I turn the saturation down but then the grass he's standing in is dull and looks like it's a pale pale green.   My old EVO camera sucked so bad that I was just so excited to hear how wonderful this camera is and I'm truly a little let down.  And as I've said in my other post, the dedicated camera button on the side is driving me absolutley insane because I'm just constantly touching it somehow (it's way too sensitive I guess) and the camera is on all the time without me knowing it or comes on when I'm doing something else.  I cannot find any information to turn that off.   One X people are lucky they don't have one.   I was so hyped up and waiting for this phone and just kinda let down now knowing the camera is going to bother me so bad.  I'll keep using as long as I can before I need to return and hopefully I'll get use the button on the side, but I still hate orange pictures

Highlighted
Journeyman

I heard the new Evo come with a 25g Drop box app. Is that true? Can the Kickstand hold the phone up vertically?

Highlighted
Journeyman

A22MATIK wrote:

I share the same feelings!  I was worried about the camera (seems to check out so far) and the speaker.  I had initial worries b/c the speaker looked so small on the back of the phone.  I use my speaker (OG EVO) daily for music playing and streaming.  I usually have it playing when I'm around the house.  It's still early, but I can tell it's a little weaker than my OG EVO's speaker.  GPS this morning confirmed it too.  It's amazing though that they put Beats on this, but it's only for plugged in listening.  I would've thought they would have also focused on giving this thing a good loud speaker too.  Could be a real estate thing...  Guess they didn't feel the speaker was a focus point for this version of the EVO...  Just like you, that won't make or break this phone for me...

Because I've been a Nextel customer for years I'd gotten used to having a loud external speaker and every Sprint phone I've had since then has always lived up to standard. It's gonna take a minute getting used to but I'll manage. I guess if you get a bluetooth speaker for home or car it won't be so bad. But this definitely gives me a reason to buy Beats buds. LOL...As for the camera, my wife has a Iphone and she is jealous of the camera on my 4g lte

Highlighted
Journeyman

Love the phone, been playing with it for a while now and the only thing I'm having any difficulty with is the UI. It's such a jump up from Gingerbread. Google still doesn't have any reasonable way of putting an ICE app on the lock screen while having the phone locked. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how to turn the 4G antenna off. It's sucking my battery life looking for the non-existant LTE network in Denver.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Settings > mobile network > network mode > cdma

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's already been answered on here, so I'll be quick.  Settings < Mobile Network < Network Mode < CDMA only.  My default was on LTE/CDMA but I changed it this morning when I figured out where it was on the phone.  LTE is not available yet in my area.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Awesome. Thanks A22MATIK and tre9614.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's just a tad bit wider than the OG EVO.  It's also longer (which is good IMO).  It's wayyy lighter and wayyy slimmer than the OG EVO!  Those two are the big differences to me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I have to say that overall I am very pleased with the phone.  I love the fact that when I run a benchmark, for what they're worth, the phone will be at the top or very near the top of the list of devices.  That feels nice.

The phone is really zippy, no lag at all.  The camera is great!  I love that big and beautiful screen as well.  Battery life for me is not bad but still not great either.  It's way better than my NS4G was with battery though.

3G here in Minneapolis is between 1 and over 2Mbps so that's not bad at all.  Looking forward to LTE but not the hit that it will take on my battery.

A bit sad about the lack of decent cases.  Best Buy has their Platinum cases which are way overpriced.  Sprint has some OK ones.  Waiting very impatiently for the Trident cases, due out 6/22/12 per their Facebook page.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The color saturation on the display, which you can't change except when taking a new photo, is totally out of whack.  Look at any photo of fair (white) human flesh on your computer monitor, old Evo 4G, HD TV, etc. and then look at it on the new EVO LTE.  The new EVO LTE makes all flesh look orange or pink.  When you open the camera app, put your hand in front of the camera and you'll see it looks orange or pink on the display (if you have fair skin).  If you go into the settings, change the saturation to -1, and it will look perfect through the camera.  That saturation tweak is essentially what HTC needs to do with an OTA update very quickly.  It's so bad, it's unbearable.  All other colors seem ok, but not fair skin tone.  I look like I had one of those spray on tans done to me on every single photo I view on this phone.

Other than this, I have only minor complaints, most of which I'll probably get over in time.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

sprint is pushing a update to all their phones so they'll basically do the same thing alot of the verizon phones are doing. you leave everything on and the phone itself will actually control when it searches and doesnt search for a signal..im actually surprised its not already on the EVO LTE... i have yet to get it on my OG EVO but a few others have already...theyre giving it a few days before they report back on how it works and if it does actually save on your battery without you having to do anything.

its called "sprint connections optimizer". if its already pre installed then it SHOULD be in the wireless and networks area. if it is then there should be a way to turn it off and on in there...

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat