cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my broken phone when the Sprint store keeps it?

Journeyman

What happens to my broken phone when the Sprint store keeps it?

Hi All,

My HTC EVO 4G LTE quit working on me today. Just shut off all by itself and never turned back on again. I took it to the local Sprint store, they worked on it for an hour and after trying everything (taking the phone apart, replacing the battery, ect) but they couldn't get it to turn on. They deemed it 'unfixable'. Long story short- they were wonderful, they didn't have any Evo 4G LTEs in stock so they just went ahead and upgraded me to a new HTC One for free (since I would have had to go 4 days without a phone waiting for a 4G LTE to arrive by mail) even though I wasn't eligible for an upgrade for a year. Like I said, WONDERFUL.

However, the downside is that I've lost everything from that phone. Contacts, files, everything. If it gets back to the manufacturer and they're able to fix it- could my identity be stolen? (Not that I have any money to steal lol). It just makes me a bit uncomfortable for that info to be floating around out there, you know?

I'm hoping that If they're able to fix it at the manufacturer(to refurbish it or whatever) they would just automatically wipe the memory clear, is that right?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JB

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: What happens to my broken phone when the Sprint store keeps it?

jessabrown,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get a new device in store so that you wouldn't have to wait 4 days without a phone. I completely understand your concern about having your information out there. If the phone would not turn on at all, the phone will be melted down and recycled. As far as your contacts and files, did you have your phone synced with your gmail account? Google + automatically backs up everything as well if you had that set up on your HTC EVO 4G LTE.

*Liz

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for your response. I'm not as worried about the contacts and things as I am the other information, passwords, bank accounts ect. What if they do get it turned on? Can I be sure that my private information is protected and removed?

Highlighted
Journeyman

jessabrown,

Thank you for getting back to us. It will be protected and the phone will be destroyed.

Jen R

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

WOW! My Evo 4G LTE was deemed unfixable and the Sprint store I went to would not change my phone. They told me I would have to switch plans or wait the 4 days. I use my phone for work, kids, etc. It has been a real inconvenience and I missed two very important messages. Disappointing...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat