cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While messaging, Evo won't attach photos from gallery

Highlighted
Journeyman

While messaging, Evo won't attach photos from gallery

When I am texting and want to send a photo from my gallery, I click the attach icon and select my gallery and then what ever photo I want to send and then I get taken back to messaging with no attachment; as if I never tried to send an photo attachment.  I called and talked to HTC but they were no help, they had me to a soft reset and empty my cashe and delete my text history.  None of that helped.  I really don't want to do a factory reset if I don't have to.  Any ideas?

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Wizard

ejhaney,

Ok. Let us know if it becomes an issue. I will say I use Handcent and I really like it.

Markie_B

Master

Lets try a different way.

1. Open your Gallery
  2. Find a picture and tap it to view it
  3. Tap the display to bring up the menu at the bottom
  4. Press the Share button
  5. Select Messages

At this point, the Messaging App should open and the picture attached. Probably wil ldo the same thing as trying to attach within Messaging app, but you never know.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Tried that way as well and it fails too.  Additionally, attachments to email fail as well.  This really sucks!!!  I thought I was loving this device...

Highlighted
Master

Ok, do the same thing above, but boot into Safe Mode first.

Restart the phone. At first boot screen, press and hold Volume Down button until fully booted. You should see Safe Mode in the bottom left corner.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem.  I have updated my profile PRL and HTC Software.  There were no firmware updates available.

Here's what I am doing:

In the message app, I click on the paperclip for an attachment. 

I am then taken to the attach drop down.  I select picture and I am then offered a choice between the gallery or the camera.  I slect gallery and it takes me to the folders where I am promoted to select a single item.  when I touch the item I want to attach, I am taken back to the album list.  This goes on and on....

Another option is opening gallery, selecting the the pic and clicking share and then I am back in the album folder.  This goes on and on...

This is all in SAFE Mode as well.

I noticed that while in the GMail app I can attach and each pic has a little circle to accept it.  But in the gallery I cant attach, there are no "radio buttons" on the pics and I get caught in this ongoing loop of "select a single item" and album list.

I heard someone say that some apps will cause others to hav problems.  I am seriously entertaining  the idea of a factory reset.  Will that remove all of the apps?

My phone is still in safe mode right now.  Do i just restart to get out of it?

Highlighted
Master

Yes, to exit Safe Mode, simply restart your phone normally.

Yes, a Factory Reset will revert back to a brand new phone. It won't erase what's on your SD Card, but everything on the phone itself will be removed. Make sure your contacts and such are backed up to Google and any pictures you want ot keep are o nthe SD Card or uploaded to some site.

For ghits and siggles, do both of you have the images your trying to attach on SD Cards? If so, try unmounting/remounting the SD Card, see if it has any effect.

• Settings > Storage > Unmount Storage Card

When the card is remounted, it should recatalog all images/videos stored.

If that doesn't work, try changing the storage location for pictures to the Phone Storage, unmount SD Card, take a picture with the camera so you have a picture to try and see if that will attach. If that works, then it's possible your SD Card is going bad or already bad and needs to be replaced. This is very possible as th ephone didn;t come with an SD Card and most people used the card from their previous phone.

• Camera > Settings > Storage

or

• Settings > Storage > App Storage Location Settings > Camera

--

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tried unmounting card and even removed it.

Tooka  new pic and saved on phone.

Tried attaching and got back intot the select a single item and back to folder loop again.

Will let you know how the factory reset goes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the factory reset and the attachments work fine.  Theres no telling which app caused the conflict, but I did not use third party messaging or anything like that.  As I download apps I will try to attach a pic as I go and I will let you guys know which one causes the bug to come back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay so now that I have done the factory reset, I lost all my contacts. 

When I got my EVO the CSR was able to pull my contacts off my SD card.

How do i do that?  Import did not work.

Highlighted
Master

Keep us informed on what app maybe conflicting with your attachments.

As for your contacts. I'm assuming you did the following,

• People app > Menu > Manage contacts > Import/Export contacts > Import from storage card

Then you selected either Phone or Google to where to import. It should have then searched and found the Vcard data file to import.

I'm assuming at no point you transferred your contacts to Google? and maybe you haven't connected to the Google Acct yet?

--

Highlighted
Master

Does the phone NOT see your SD Card by chance? Can't import if it can't see it.

--

Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally fixed my problem in attaching photos while messaging.  First I did a safe mode and checked to see if I could send attachments that way through messaging... yes I could, so that meant it had to be an application that was interfering with the stock messaging app; so I painstakingly went through and deleted any photo app (other than the stock one) one by one, each time after the uninstall checking to see if I could send an attachment photo while messaging, until I came to one called Photo Editor by Dev.macgyver; and I also checked my App2SD app to see if I had moved any apps to SD card that had a little 'x' on a app icon.... yes I did, it was an app called Robin (personal assistant), so I moved it back to internal storage, rebooted my phone and now I can send photos from my gallery while messaging.  I think it was actually the latter that was the problem.  If you have an App2SD app check to see that you don't have any apps with a little 'x' on it that you moved to the SD card.  I am a happy camper now!!!   Hope this helps.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat