ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is responsible for Sprint's poor behavior?

Journeyman

Who is responsible for Sprint's poor behavior?

I understand that Sprint can not control Customs and neither can HTC.  But who exactly does Sprint consider responsible for their poor behavior during this situation.  They sold and received money for a product they did not possess.  They refuse to give their customers their money back.  And the best solution they have provided is to wait until deliver (WHENEVER THAT MAY BE) and refuse the deliver.  The problem is that deliver is not guaranteed. 

I personally think Sprint has handled this situation poorly.  They did not get in front of the situation at all.

Any company taking Pre-Orders for an item and the MONEY for those items, should actually possess those items!  Any company other than Sprint, that does not have an item or has an item on backorder does not charge their customer and actually take their money before the item becomes available. 

I am okay with a phone coming later than expected...

But what I would like to know who is getting the interest that they are probably collecting on ALL of our money that they are currently HOLDING onto??? This is the part that upsets me... What are you doing with my money if not providing me with my product?!?

And why do they keep telling us, "IF" it becomes clear that the phones will not be deliverable they will make some type of announcement.  What the hell do they think "delayed indefinitely" means?!?

HOW DO YOU FEEL?

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Who is responsible for Sprint's poor behavior?

This situation isn't bothering me.  Paying for the phone in advance isn't bothering me.  I've never had bad customer support from Sprint, personally, so I am feeling that things happen, sometimes the best process isn't followed, but lesson learned.  Is this an ideal situation?  Of course not.  Did you have to pre-order the phone, knowing that you would be charged for it then?  Nope.  If the phones weren't already packed, then I am sure canceling the order wouldn't be an issue, but they are.  It is what it is.  Is anyone going to die because they don't have the EVO 4G LTE in hand?  Probably  not.  And if money  is an issue, then one probably shouldn't have pre-ordered the phone and tied up those funds.   I guess I'm just not seeing the point of being so upset over this unfortunate situation.  Of course I want the phone for which I paid, but I'm stressed enough by my own job, that I don't need to get high strung about stuff like this.

Journeyman

I can definitely see your point.  I'm more or less disappointed by their lack of communication with their customers.  Things can always go wrong with the most well laid out plans.  But communicating with your customer is always the first key to managing the situation. 

The funds for my phone are for my phone and will still be for my phone.  When paying for my phone (pre-order or not), I would expect the provider to have the phones already.

And the phones are not packed and ready to ship to us.  They are ready to ship to Sprint.  So why can't they cancel?  The phones are not leaving customs and coming directly to us... They still have to be repacked once Sprint receives them, IF they receive them, and shipped them to us.  So why can't we cancel?  Don't you want to know what they are using your money for?

Journeyman

I think it just comes down to people feeling they are appreciated. We all work hard for our money and would like to spend it to support businesses that care about us and provide the highest value.

For me, sprint is cheaper than theother carriers so I choose to stay with sprint.The pre-order status hasn't hurt me, but I am a bit annoyed with a lack of options and updates. Being given the option to easily cancel the order and issue a refund would be nice (purely for the peace of mind that I can do it and get my money back, though I am unlikely to cancel my order). I guess cancel and refund is not a function that is easily implemented into the order system, so it has to be done by hand.

I understand all this. It sucks for everyone that there is no eta on this issue. What we're mostly looking for is just information, quick updates on what is going on. I wouldnt mind if the delay was for a week or two, just let us know it will take some time.

Journeyman

I read somewhere that they are actually in a warehouse in KY, packed and ready to go.  Customs is holding up the shipments to us.  I agree with you - being able to cancel and get a refund would be ideal.  It would be nice to have information - I agree with you there too - but unfortunately, most companies have compliance/legal teams that inhibit information / emails from going out, especially in mass quantities.  (I work for such a company).  I don't think holding back is so much that they want to keep us in the dark, as frustrating as it is, it's all CYA - Cover Your A$$ and that mentality is enforced by legal/compliance.   I'm not making excuses for Sprint, I'm just sayin'.  You'd asked how we feel, so just putting out here how I feel.   Like I said, I've never personally had issues with Sprint or their customer support.  I've been with Sprint since 1999 - like any relationship, there are bound to be ups and downs.  This is essentially my first "down", so maybe that is why I can easily forgive. 

Journeyman

I agree with you and "Nscapon". 

I hadn't heard about them being in the states waiting to ship.  Thats a little confusing to me.  Customs is holding the shipment that came in from Taiwan.  I can't imagine HTC packaged them all ready to be shipped to us from Taiwan. But we really don't know much.  And I'm speculating. 

I agree CYA always comes into play when things go wrong.  I work for a natural gas company... If things go wrong for us (which they never have), we would definitely have to be careful what we say... But we would have definitely said something by now.  Granted... If things go wrong for us, lifes could be at risk so the urgency is different but the responsibility to our customers is the same.  In my opinion of course.

I hope they resolve this issue better than they have handled it so far.  Kind of like Nscapon said, they waiting isn't the bad part.  Its the lack of information.  After how long of a wait, will the decide that their customers need to know what's going on.  Weeks? Months?

Journeyman

DARAEMCNAIR wrote:

I can definitely see your point.  I'm more or less disappointed by their lack of communication with their customers.  Things can always go wrong with the most well laid out plans.  But communicating with your customer is always the first key to managing the situation. 

The funds for my phone are for my phone and will still be for my phone.  When paying for my phone (pre-order or not), I would expect the provider to have the phones already.

And the phones are not packed and ready to ship to us.  They are ready to ship to Sprint.  So why can't they cancel?  The phones are not leaving customs and coming directly to us... They still have to be repacked once Sprint receives them, IF they receive them, and shipped them to us.  So why can't we cancel?  Don't you want to know what they are using your money for?

Not entirely accurate here I'm afraid.  I realize you feel that being allowed to preorder your phone means they should have them stateside and ready to go.  But every manufacturer, iPhone included, hosts preorders for phones that aren't actually in hand yet.  This is the first time this has ever happened.  So although you would expect them to have the phones here, every single provider allows preorders for phones with a very small window of receipt and distribution.

Second, these phones are absolutely packed and ready to ship to you.  It's called "Pick and Pack", every preordered EVO LTE is packed with a shipping label.  Imagine a freight container stacked to the brim with EVO LTE's, and somebody cancels, somebody would quite literally have to search through thousands of boxes in the middle of pallets of product to remove the orders.  That's why they need to ship them as is.  And that is why they are asking that you refuse delivery as part of the cancellation process.

All that aside the lack of communication from Sprint would definitely peeve me if I'd preordered.  And honestly that is the only thing anyone should realistically be upset about.  (not counting Apple and whatever idiot judges continue to allow software actions to be patented)

Journeyman

I don't know if this has been recently updated, but there is a bit of info here:

https://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/update-htc-evo-4g-lte-delayed-launch-status/

Journeyman

I have never order from another company who charged prior to having the merchandise.  But thats been my experience.

I'm not sure I totally believe that once customs releases them, they are coming directly to us.  If they do, I'll eat my words.  But I guess we'll see. 

However, I do think that when a company screws up the burden should fall on them.  So while, looking through a million shipments is no one's idea of fun why shouldn't that be their burden. 

Although a VERY unusual situation, one that has definitely landed Apple on my bad side... communication can always put the rational people at ease.

Journeyman

I hear you, little known fact is that the warehouse in Kentucky that Sprint uses to move phones stateside isn't a Sprint warehouse.  It's a UPS warehouse that Sprint outsources the entire operation to.  That's why they'll be coming directly to everyone, Sprint actually never lays hands on them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow... really?! Lazy A$$es... Just kidding!

Journeyman

The corporate office, I don't think anyone on this forum has faulted Sprint for the actual delay in shipping, it's all the poor communication.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat