cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is responsible?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Who is responsible?

Eversince I bought my EVO LTE, it has been a constant headache. First the sense started crashing and it would reload everytime I closed an app. I reset the device, reinstall everything and the device starts working albeit the time zone and the google wallet issues. Then came the update, and things went from working ok to unbearable, the device started crashing. Took in to the store, of course, Sprint corporate doesn't want to do anything with it since I didn't buy the insurance. I thougt that was supposed to cover any damages to the device, I shouldn't need an insurance if you sell me a defective device. So, I am sent to a repair shop. They want me to reset the device, the easiest way out since it doesn't take up any of their precious time and I'd be stuck reinstalling all the apps and reconfiguring a device on my time like my time is free. So, I naturally resist. They keep the device just sitting there for 45 minutes and tell me it didn't crash. Thank you so much as I must be a liar since the device definitely didn't crash on me 8-10 times everyday, sometimes while it was just charging and a few times during calls. On to another repair shop. They ask me to come back in an hour so they can run tests on it. Thankfully, I didn't sit around this time. And, viola nothing wrong with the device, must definitely be a ghost. So, I try HTC, and there is the magic solution again, reset the device. Why is my time as a consumer worth nothing is beyond me. Again I resist, so they ask me to put the device in safe mode. Amazingly the device crashes again within the first day of running it in safe mode. So, I call back and guess what now they want reset the device before I can send it in for repairs. The most beautiful thing happens then, and this amazing feat of engineering crashes while I am trying to reset the device while on the phone with HTC. And, guess what after the reset the same thing, the device starts crashing again. This finally gets the all mighty HTC finally tell me to send in the device. One weeks goes by and nothing. I call in only to find out that they are waiting for a part called the motherboard. Now I am two weeks in. So, this brings me to my question. If I cancel my service even 1 day before my contract is over I get charged $ 50-100. And here I am without even being offered a loaner for a friggin' CDMA device, it's not like I can just take my sim card and pop it in to another device while you fix something that you sold me defective to begin with. Who  is responsible for me paying full fee due while I don't even have the device that I am paying for. Something makes me feel this contract thing is lopsided.

8 REPLIES 8
Master

Re: Who is responsible?

Things happen with software installs and flashes that can usually be resolved by performing a Hard Reset. This is why the first thing they perform or ask you to perform is a Hard Reset to make sure the flash installed on the phone isn't the culprit. Sometimes when a flash is applied, things can go wrong and it doesn't apply and setup properly. Usually a Hard Reset will resolve, but not always. If it continues to do it after a Hard Reset with no apps installed, then it's a bigger indication that it's a problem with the phone or default software on the phone and the necessary course of action can then be pursued.

My recommnedation, perform the Hard Reset. Don't install any 3rd party apps and see if it crashes again. If it doesn't then some 3rd party software was causing the problem. If it does, then the default flash or even the hardware itself is the problem. But there's no way to tell unless you perform a Hard Reset.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

So, I finally got my device back from HTC with a cute little card inside that said I'm back. Should have in fact said I am back to piss you off even more. I turn on the device and try to activate it online. No luck and have to call up Sprint, and their system does not recognize my device's hardware ids. I drive to a Sprint store and after wasting another 45 minutes to an hour am told only HTC can help me. Back to glorious HTC, who escelate my issue and now I have to expect a call in about 10 days. Seriously, I am beyond my wits at this point. Lesson learnt. HTC makes great devices but if you ever get any problems might as well just forget have anything happen in a timely manner. Once they have sold you their crap you are the least of their worries.

Master

Sorry to hear that. Did Sprint even offer you the $35 repair option? Their policy is that if you don't have insurance, they will charge you $35 to look at the phone. If they can't fix it, they are supposed to replace it.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Get the insurance dude. It would have made your life so much easier. If Sprint couldn't fix it they would have replaced it. No issues. A hard reset is always something they need to try first though for software related issues. Had they replaced it you would have had to set it up again as well so I'm not sure I understand your resistance to the reset. They offer a service called Ready Now where they will assist you in getting it set up as it was. Sounds like you were unwilling to work with them.

Journeyman

I know I should have gotten the insurance but should I need inusrance to replace what was sold defective to begin with? Although, unfortunately the device didn't start malfunctioning until after the return period was over. And, you are right I am resistant to work with them because it is them who sold me a defective device and they are getting paid for it. If I had done something to the device that resulted in it's failure I'd be more than happy to work with them. Why should I waste my time for their fault. As for my aversion to a hard reset, it takes me days to set up the device as I want it, adding apps setting those up and what not. Again it's a waste of my time. One of the resasons I am not in to rooting devices as it takes too much time tweaking everything to your liking. On that note do oem/providers/Google encourage rooting as so many excellent resources are available for rooted devices when it comes to thorough bakcups? I am not aware any for stock OS. Having said that I did hard reset the device when the problem did not go away after running the device in safe mode upon HTC's suggestion.

Sprint did finally give me the replacement option when they couldn't reactivate the device anymore after HTC repaired it by changing the motherboard on it. The times when I took it to the repair shop it didn't crash right there so as far as they were concerned nothing was wrong with the device, and I wasn't offered the $35 replacement. Thanks to HTC for messing up the device to the extent that even Sprint couldn't activate it. And, yes now I have gotten insurance on the replacement device. To sum it up, I went through a whole lot of headache and ended up paying full price for a refurbrished device. Thank you corporate America. Hopefully, this one functions normally to bring me some relief.

GrandMaster

the other thing is there should be a 1yr manufacturers warranty on the phone itself.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

Think about it like this. If you bought a new LED or Plasma TV, would you have gotten the insurance? If not, you only get about 30 days with the place you bought it from and a year with the manufacturer. Not much different.

Again, similar analogy. If the TV goes belly up, they usually try to troubleshoot it first. In the case of the phone, one of these troubleshooting options is to perform a hard reset to see if that fixes things. They then document that it was attempted. If the issue continues, they usually replace. But without doing that first step (hard reset), they can't move on to the second step (replace).

Glad you got it resolved.

--

Journeyman

I understand what you are trying to stay and it makes sense, but where I think your example doesn't fit perfectly is you don't have to spend hours to setup your TV. Also, with a TV the retailer and the manufacturer understand their own terms, in my case the two involved parties simply wanted the other to take the fall. And, I'm sure a lot of other people have been in the same boat when it comes to cell phone manufacturers and providers.  I wouldn't mind a hard reset if they release the same kind of software, that performs a thorough backup and can restores my device after the reset, as is available on rooted devices. Honestly, are there similar options availble for devices with locked boot loaders? Is Ready Now service any good?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat