Highlighted
Wizard

10/25 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 4.54.651.1

HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 4.54.651.1

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Security Update

Important Notes:

- The new software version is: 4.54.651.1

- The customer may initiate the update beginning 10/25 or wait until notifications begin being sent to devices on 10/27

- Refer to the HTC EVO 4G Software Update blog for install instructions 

- Updates may be released in stages. When checking for the update, you may receive a message that no update is available,   

check back later or wait until the update notification is sent to your device  

47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Journeyman

I performed this update Saturday night. It seemed to install flawlessly, however, when my phone rebooted my contacts were GONE! I had to manually import my contacts to my phone, it would not sync. Then about an hour ago my phone froze and tried to reboot but all I get now is an error message that says 'com.htc.bgp'. I cant access my phone, contacts, menu, nothing, I am completely locked out. It seems the only option is a factory reset but Im going to take it to the Sprint store in the morning and see what they say, perhaps they know something I dont.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ShaneM, Is there a link to the process of performing a hard reset, what needs to be backed up, and what the hard reset does?  Is this basically going to take my phone back to the day that I bought it and I will need to perform all the updates, reinstall all the apps, etc.  I'm more of a casual android user and have basically "just been living with it".  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Figured I'd follow up.I took the update the other day and everything seems to be working fine. Hope those that are having issues get through them.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

its takes your phone right back to the day you bought it. your contacts is really the only thing it will keep as long as theyre saved to google and not to the phone. all apps will be gone but USUALLY you can go back into the market and redownload them. only bad part with this is you lose all the information that came with those apps. games saved info or levels will be gone. etc.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Master

A hard reset deletes all information off the device. like applications customizing etc It also wipes out the contacts It does not erase information off the data card. You will want to make sure you back up any sms messages you need to keep those and mails on the device will also be deleted The updates to firmware remain . there are two ways to do a factory wipe Menu> settings >privacy>factory data reset >reset phone .

or the following

• Evo
    • Remove/Replace the battery.
    • Hold the Power, and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
    • Use the Volume Keys to go down to and highlight Clear Storage. Press the Power button to select it.
    • Press Volume Up to confirm it.
Highlighted
Wizard

I also have not experienced any problems or bugs since the new security update. Nothing like Bryan Herbert posted, which seems more like the problems caused by the previous Gingerbread update. I truly believe that factory resetting my EVO before udating, even though kind of a pain,  prior to GB was the key for a clean install and update for that.

Given that it actually fixes something important, I'd recommend applying this one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just completed the update in less than 10 minutes without any major issues. After the initial reboot I was getting network connection errors. I turned off my Wi-Fi and then turned it right back on...problem solved. The apps seem to load a touch quicker, although it may just be a placebo effect.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the system update and ever since, I can't get my wifi to connect! Frustrating!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

did you already have the gingerbread update before that or are you jumping up to this from the froyo update?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

While I appreciate the security updates, I had to laugh at the irony of getting a low memory warning immediately following the update.  I had a glimmer of hope that the memory leak issue was going to be addressed with this latest update, but I was instead reminded of the generally poor user experience I've come to work around over the last four-six months. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i only had it happen to me once and had to do a FR. havent seen it since. others havent been as lucky after doing the FR. its a time eating gamble but what other options do you really have?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Shouldn't even be an issue as apparently it's such an easy fix for them to do to permanently lock HTC Sense in memory when the Evo is running.  Just absolutely sickening that it hasn't been fixed by HTC/Sprint since June.

Idiots.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat