cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10 Extra Fee for "Premium" Internet Service that's HORRIBLE!!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

$10 Extra Fee for "Premium" Internet Service that's HORRIBLE!!

DEAR SPRINT:

I just wanted to express how absolutely unhappy I am with my service.  It angers me that you charge my phones a mandatory $240/year for what is called "Premium" internet service. 
The service is supposedly for my EVO phones to use 4G connection.  The problem is that 4G is not available in my area and the 3G service that is available is so bad, it's not even funny.  Why do you call this premium service??  Most of the time the "3G" icon (on my phone) is blinking or off showing that it doesn't work.
I run a broadcast company and many times I have to test our mobile streams.  The problem is that the SPRINT "Premium" internet service is so bad, I cannot properly test our streams.  I have to use a Verizon phone in order to do so.
My biggest problem is that you're charging me $240 a year EXTRA for this HORRIBLE service.  I've talked with other Sprint EVO users and they say they're experiencing the same bad service.  I just don't know how you guys get away with this.
My questions are, what are you doing to correct this problem?  Why is the 4G service (that I'm paying for) not available in my area?  When is it going to be available? What options do I have if my internet connection is bad?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Wizard

That's why Sprint gives you 30 days to try out the service. If you don't like it, cancel.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wizard

That's why Sprint gives you 30 days to try out the service. If you don't like it, cancel.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

The "30-day take-it-or-leave-it" policy is NOT the answer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, but then again, you could not buy the phone. I don't like it either, but even with the extra $240 for 2 years (not every year), it's still cheaper then other cell carriers. Even though Sprint's own CEO said Sprint would not charge a  4G fee, there is not much we can do about it, except complain.

Premium Data Fee explained:

The "Premium Data Fee" is not for 4G (per Sprint), but for the ammount of data 4G phones will hog (because they are more powerful than older models). Imagine you buy a computer directly from your ISP (internet SERVICE provider), instead of from the electronics store. You have thus far been using DSL, but your ISP just introduced Broadband internet. Lets say that this ISP builds the modem into each computer, consequently, your current computer can only use DSL (since it doesn't have a Broadband modem). The ISP now offeres two new computer models with broadband modems (and DSL modems). Not only do the new computers have newer modems, but the processors are twice as fast and each one has at least three times the RAM. Argueably, if you only use the DSL modem on the faster computer, you will still consume more data, because the faster computer can handle more at once.

This is the arguement Sprint made to me. However, until Sprint, or someone else, does a semi-scientific study to prove this claim, I remain unsatisfied. Now that I think about it, I think I will shut off 4G on my next billing cycle and compare to my HTC Hero days to see if data ussage indeed increases.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't like the $10 surcharge either, but this was my thinking when I got the phone in June and since then:

• The EVO was the best Android phone at nearly the cheapest monthly cost at the time where I could get essentially unlimited texting and Internet, even with the surcharge.  I think T-Mobile was a little cheaper overall.  AT&T (iPhone) and Verizon were insanely expensive.  AND my Sprint service has been ultra-reliable with maybe one dropped call every 2 months.
  • Sprint 3G service is perfectly adequate for almost all situations (at least here in Minnesota).  I use Navigation and streaming every day (Pandora, last.fm, Tunein) on 3G while driving and they work fine.
  • 4G was about to roll out in the Twin Cities (arrived in August) and has been spotty.  It works at home and work (who cares since I have WiFi in both places).  4G also seems to work well along freeways, so I sometimes use it when I want to stream while driving, but not very often.
  • I am near WiFi most of the day and the Wifi on the phone works great

In Sprint's defense, my phone uses a LOT of data even when I use WiFi as often as practical.  I use 1-3 GB per month.  On my last phone (Windows mobile 5), I used maybe 300 MB per month.  I use ActiveSync and IMAP push on 4 accounts plus I sync Facebook and Twitter.

Highlighted
Wizard

AEUSTUDIOS1 wrote:

The "30-day take-it-or-leave-it" policy is NOT the answer.

Yes, it is. No one is forcing anyone to buy an Evo. And no one is forcing the OP to stay in a contract. The 30 day money back refund is Sprint's generous way of letting you know whether or not it is worth it. If you decide to stay past 30 days, you have no one to blame but yourself as you KNEW what you were buying.

Plus, Sprint still has the most competitive data plans even WITH the $10 premium charge.

Highlighted
Wizard

If you upgrade after 12 months, you'll have made out well, paying $319 ($199 + $10 x 12 months) for a phone that would normally have cost over $349.  Do you know what the TP2 sold for at the start, even though it only has a 528 Mhz processor?

It is unfortunate that you agreed to pay the $10 every month.  I've had times where I was stuck to an agreement that I've regretted.  Just learn from it and use your experience in future decisions.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat