cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st Amendment Killed on the Evo?

Journeyman

1st Amendment Killed on the Evo?

Not that I have a potty mouth, but I have noticed that when using voice dictation on the Evo, it turns swear words into #####.  Now who is censoring my language?  Is that HTC?  Sprint? Google?

I noticed it censors in any field such as texts, emails, and even in "to do" lists (So don't tell me it is some FCC rule because they have nothing to say about my own personal "to do" lists.)  Does anyone know how to turn censoring off? This is the United States of America, stop ##### censoring me on my own phone! ... and right before the fourth of July too.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 1st Amendment Killed on the Evo?

Its probably a safe guard in the text to speech system.  Think about it. 

"I'm looking for a good truck."  if the voice synthesis fails and it mistakes your wording you could have a very weird situation to explain.  They don't block it when you type, just when you speak, and its probably a good thing. 

Journeyman

Thanks Deksam, does sound like a rational explanation.  I just want to be able to turn it off.  Although, sometimes you might be looking for a good truck and at other times maybe something else I thought the Evo could do anything!

Journeyman

I'd try some 3rd party speech to text programs from the market if you'd really like to play with it.  If nothing else and you really wanted to get around it, I'd post something for the XDA developers to toy with, I'm sure they'd find a fix for you

Wizard

Apparently Deksam had it right, if the following blogger is correct:

http://www.nexusoneblog.com/blog/2010/1/23/androids-speech-to-text-censors-your-curse-words.html

Journeyman

I find it interesting that you cannot turn off that feature.  Didn't Google leave China because of censorship?  And now Google censors us without the option to turn it off?  I thought their motto is "don't be evil." Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat