cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5/3 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.1

GrandMaster

Re: 5/3 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.1

i have had my phone restart on me and the screen freeze up on me as well...BUT...my optimizer is turned off already...has been for quite a while..

cityw5 wrote:

So after this update, my phone was working great, battery life improved, and then about two weeks later, my phone started crashing 4-5X a day, and at other times the screen would become unresponsive, and I would have to remove the battery.  Then I turned off Sprint Connections Optimizer about a week ago, and all of my problems have disappeared since then.  Guess I found the problem, although it is interesting that it worked well for a number of weeks.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

OMG I thought my phone was nutty till I read this! Thank you so much I didn't have the slightest clue why it kept turning my 4G on when I didn't do anything. I am so glad I decided to read the forums tonight, you guys are so helpful.

Journeyman

Can someone explain to me how to turn off the Connections Optimizer for good?  Is it possible?  I can stop the process but it just turns itself back on.  My phone has been restarting itself randomly.  The battery will be full and it restarts and it comes up with a completely empty battery and an alert to charge it.

Since this update I've had nothing but trouble with this phone.  It keeps kicking me from 3G to 4G and alerting me of Wifi even though I have 4G and Wireless disabled.  I don't have any Wifi connections saved at all. 

This is an OEVO.  Any suggestions or should I throw this thing in the garbage?

Thanks!

EDIT:  I found the disable option.  Hopefully it stays disabled. 

Journeyman

So I am disapointed in some ways with the latest update However other things are better than they ever have been. So my first and biggest complaint. 1. My phone will no longer charge on any charger other than my computer cable. Whats up with that? If I place it on any other charger it says its charging, you know the red led, lightning bolt in the baterry, but it slowly discharges the battery as it would with normal usage. 2. My next complaint is related to the same issue because If I leave the D*MN thing on the charger overnight it crashes and wont reboot so my alarm wont go off in the morning. So now I have to make sure the battery is fully charged before I leave work so it will last the night.  3. Next complaint is the Friggin thing answers and makes calls with the speakerphone automatically on. Criminy that is annoying. 4. Next complaint is that the thing will randomly light up and start clicking off in my pocket and wont Auto off. 5. The next thing is that during startup the car kit thing turns on. WTF is that cr*p? 6. The darn thing rebooted the other day and the screen was blank. Nothing there, No clock, No apps, nothing. ALL six screens were blank. Went to restore it to the way it was before and all of the wallpapers are gone... I dont get it. I never had any issues with this phone until the last update. I am so upset with it now that I am thinking I am going to go to the S3. I love sprint services and I have always had reliable customer service from them. I am running the unlimited and its a good thing cuz during my last billing cycle I used 3,955,736KB on 3G data and 8,252,227KB on 4G data. You just dont get better than that. However If I cant figure out these issues I am going to go nutz. So on the Pro side I have one major PLUS This thing now has the longest battery life I have ever had and I am really enjoying it. I actually got the thing to last an entire weekend on the extended battery. I could barely get a day (10 hrs) out of it before. I am trying some of the things mentioned on here as of today. I am disabling the unnecessary pre loaded apps, disabling the optimizer thing cuz I have always kept strict control over that anyway cuz i know that it kills the battery.

If anyone has any other recomendations I would greatly appreciate it. I really would love to be able to charge this thing again.

Message was edited by: doitlaynstyle Because I missed the 4g portion of the data

GrandMaster

1+2. one of 2 things...either the cables you have are finaly croaking out...or the usb port in your phone is coming loose or is starting to get a bit worn out..

3- does this happen while it plugged in or no?

doitlaynstyle wrote:

So I am disapointed in some ways with the latest update However other things are better than they ever have been. So my first and biggest complaint. 1. My phone will no longer charge on any charger other than my computer cable. Whats up with that? If I place it on any other charger it says its charging, you know the red led, lightning bolt in the baterry, but it slowly discharges the battery as it would with normal usage. 2. My next complaint is related to the same issue because If I leave the D*MN thing on the charger overnight it crashes and wont reboot so my alarm wont go off in the morning. So now I have to make sure the battery is fully charged before I leave work so it will last the night.  3. Next complaint is the Friggin thing answers and makes calls with the speakerphone automatically on. Criminy that is annoying. 4. Next complaint is that the thing will randomly light up and start clicking off in my pocket and wont Auto off. 5. The next thing is that during startup the car kit thing turns on. *** is that cr*p? 6. The darn thing rebooted the other day and the screen was blank. Nothing there, No clock, No apps, nothing. ALL six screens were blank. Went to restore it to the way it was before and all of the wallpapers are gone... I dont get it. I never had any issues with this phone until the last update. I am so upset with it now that I am thinking I am going to go to the S3. I love sprint services and I have always had reliable customer service from them. I am running the unlimited and its a good thing cuz during my last billing cycle I used 3,955,736KB on 3G data and 8,252,227KB on 4G data. You just dont get better than that. However If I cant figure out these issues I am going to go nutz. So on the Pro side I have one major PLUS This thing now has the longest battery life I have ever had and I am really enjoying it. I actually got the thing to last an entire weekend on the extended battery. I could barely get a day (10 hrs) out of it before. I am trying some of the things mentioned on here as of today. I am disabling the unnecessary pre loaded apps, disabling the optimizer thing cuz I have always kept strict control over that anyway cuz i know that it kills the battery.

If anyone has any other recomendations I would greatly appreciate it. I really would love to be able to charge this thing again.

Message was edited by: doitlaynstyle Because I missed the 4g portion of the data

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

No the port is fine and just to be sure I purchased a new charger. It doesn't work either. It will only charge on the  HTC cable. This phone is only 4 months old. Brand new replacement for one that actually wouldnt charge because of a busted port. I do know the difference. and to answer your question yes it only crashes overnight while on a home charger.

GrandMaster

i have noticed that alot of the 3rd party charging cables will either not work with these phones or will only work for a very short time. hit up amazon and snag a OEM charging cable from them. i snagged up 2 of them for less that $10. i keep one at home and the other stays in my truck. picked them up about a year ago and theyre still working like a champ. if im remembering right the cable itself has to have a certain amount of current running through it to keep up with these phones.

Journeyman

2 anker (certified) batteries with charger from amazon. Dont sweat the update. Its an attempt at battery/connection optimiser. Not so great, I have run and checked it out. Anker batteries are certified for evo 4g 1700mah, I simply uninstall maps and anything unnessarily currently running. Keep GPS off unless you really need it. Keep auto sync off and data on only when you really need it too. When inside keep the display brightness down. Phone internet messaging works fine without data being on. Might take a look at cyanogenmod 7 as a backup rom. You WILL be amazed at the lenght of time your battery lasts. Streaming music and video will kill battery quick. However, it will on a notebook too.

Highlighted
Master

Hey, what happened to the Blog Post mentioned in the first post for Sprint Connections Optimizer?

Sprint Connections Optimizer

Coming up as being deleted.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat