cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

Wizard

Actually, Netflix streams quite nicely over 3G.  I  just got done watching a movie.  Other than the initial load, the movie  didn't stutter once.  The image quality was more than acceptable.  I'm  thrilled that Netflix is working again.  Those trip to the mall with my  wife will now be tolerable.

Say what you will, but sprint is still the best deal  around.  Plus, verizon just announced tiered data plans are hitting in  July.

Starting on July 7, new customers and upgraded lines can expect the following options for their servings of data:

•     2GB - $30/month

•     5GB - $50/month

•     10GB - $80/month

Compare that with AT&T:

•     2GB - $25/month

•     5GB - $45/month

•     10GB - $75/month

Even with the $10 data fee, Sprint's  Everything Data plan with unlimited data is unbeatable.   I consume at  least 15GB a month.  Right now I'm only 8 days into my current month and  I've already downloaded over 2GB of data.

HTC and  sprint are ahead of the curve.  Other carriers and other phones are  happy just to be getting Froyo.  When we got Froyo, some things got  messed up, but eventually corrected.  Why should this update be any  different?

Way to many knee-jerk reactions.  I honestly  don't see anyone seriously leaving Sprint just because of the  Gingerbread rollout.  I've been there (I suffered through the samsung  instinct); but in reality, it's just venting and idle threats.

When someone reads through one of these rants, the most common reaction is, "Good riddence."

Journeyman

Still having sense rebooting white htc screen then loading. Netflix still not to be found in market. And texts getting sent to wrong recipients

Journeyman

Well I agree with you on Sprint's offerings and that is the only thing  going for them. But, i don't expect that to last too long either. They won't keep offering unlimited data when everyone else is moving to tierd service. And, as for the rants, the customer has every right to complain when we pay full price for the service and the device. You might get better service in your area, but in my town video streaming is simply a no go with Sprint's service. Anyone would be pissed when instead of adding much an update breaks a feature that they use quite regularly, a feature that was working fine before.

Wizard

sprint_user_0 wrote:

And, as for the rants, the customer has every right to complain when we pay full price for the service and the device.

Absolutely.  I don't disagree with you that you have every right to complain, especially on sprint's public forum.  My feeling, is that once it get's to the point where it's a broken record, people tune it out.  Maybe it's just me.

Perhaps I'd be ranting myself if the GB update didn't go as smoothly on my EVO as it did.  Other than the Sense UI reboots, my phone updated without a hitch.  Now with todays update giving me back my netflix and fixing my compass, I'm set.

If sprint switches to a tiered format, I'll cross that bridge when I need to.  If they do like other carriers and grandfather current Everything data plan users, then I'll have no worries.

Journeyman

I've had two text messages be sent to the wrong recipient since installing this update, so that issue is not entirely fixed.  It seems to occur when you "move too quickly" for the OS.  I found it happened when I texted one person, then switched to a different thread and quickly typed and sent a response to that person.  The text ended up going to the first person and "jumping" into that thread.  It wouldn't display in the thread I was currently viewing, and then I'd go back and view the previous thread and find it there.  (This is with the built-in Messaging program.)

Clearly something that needs to addressed, as it's not a good feeling when you send a text and don't know with certainly that it's going to the person for whom it's intended.

Journeyman

Re: 6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

Granted, AT&T used to have an unlimited data plan for iPad and iPhone users. It was so popular that iPhone and iPad users here in San Francisco clogged up the network. You can't even get a decent call reception on your iPhone at AT&T Park when watching a Giants game!

Sprint's unlimited data plan for an extra $10 along with your call minutes package is still one of the lowest contract mandatory plans you can get. However, that does not give Sprint the green light to be mediocre at customer service. The reps at the store and the phone reps and the reps via email have all given me interestingly different answers. Nobody has their ducks in a straight line so it seems. I've been with Sprint for a little over 10 years now and they have always been a bit behind technology-wise in the hardware department. Lately, with the Android smartphone rush, I don't think Sprint realized how much maintenance these phones would get.  With Android firmware updates practically updating every 3-6 months, your phone could be pretty behind with the times in less than a year. Remember Android 1.5? Holy cow. Now that was slow. I'm sure when 2.4, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0 and beyond comes out, this rant for 2.3 will be a thing of the past. It was when I had an HTC Hero. The pressure to get a new phone was there. So I did. Got an EVO 4G. 2.3 is probably as good as it gets and I'll most likely be tempted to buy an HTC EVO 3D. Then again, that's what Sprint wants you to do. Always catering to the new customer, but not much emphasis on EXISTING customers.

Journeyman

Anyone having problems after the GB update #2 (4.24.651.2) of netflix not being found in the android market?

Journeyman

My issues seem to be fixed with this latest release. Thank you Sprint. That is all.

Wizard

Re: 6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

From what I've seen, that's Netflix's problem.  Their supposed to have it back in the market within a few days.  If you need it now, there's a download link a few pages back in this thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well i fixed it last night. Had to delete the mail account and restart a new one! Phone works great again!

Journeyman

Only way to root now is if you phone indicates S-OFF

Journeyman

After this update

Netflix still not available for download in the Market

Google Talk now not working at all. Will quickly flash loading screen then go back to home screen or app menu (wherever you were trying to launch it from)

Phone still running sluggish

Boot speed still extreamly slow.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat