cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

Highlighted
Wizard

SYBOLJAY2, thanks!  It's Saturday and I did the reset on Thursday.  So far, everything is great.  I'm still glad that I decided to do it.  Believe me, I was very reluctant to do it because everything was working fine on my phone at the time.  I can see an improvement on speed and streaming (which may be from the update, I don't know).  It's good to know that I don't have to take out my SD card.  I was just scared it would delete pics or the 1,000 plus songs I have on there.  I wouldn't be afraid to do it if I were you, because really it shouldn't hurt anything.  You're just wiping the junk off of your phone.  I'll probably do it again in a few months since it made a difference this time.  The Sprint tech that I called and talked to before I did it said that she does a factory reset at least once a month.  I don't think I would want to go that far, but it's probably not a bad idea.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I contacted SPRINT last night and was on the phone with HTC for almost an  hour...

It seems like everyone is passing the buck and not owning up that  SPRINT let HTC push an update that was already glitchy and now has  messed up many of your valued customers devices.

But Sprint doesnt care  about this almost 10 year customer who pays his bills ON TIME and IN  FULL. I am ready to return the EVO and go back to my trusty Touch  Pro...or get rid of Sprint all together. This is uncalled for.  Its like HTC and Sprint messed up your device so you HAVE to buy the new 3D model.

Highlighted
Journeyman

BRNDN84 wrote:

about task killers, the last time I was at the sprint store a technician actually installed one on a guys phone. I bit my tongue really hard on that one. He seemed to be like the head guy there too.Sprint really needs to push these guys to offer up better info about task killers. They're not helping their customer base by allowing techs and salesman to put these apps on peoples phones.

I also use system panel, and it's not a task killer really. It can kill tasks, but that's not really what it's all about. When you speak of task killers you generally think of ATK and apps that kill automatically in the background. System panel works great for finding poorly coded apps though!

I also recommend juice defender to people having battery issues, it can REALLY stretch your battery life.

Even task killer ATK says in their Android Market description that you should "use ATK manually [to] kill apps instead of auto killing apps."

I use ATK with no problems.  I use it to kill tasks as suggested: manually, which is basically the same as doing a Force Close using the Android interface.  I also use its built-in Ignore List option to not kill apps like Mail, Messages, Voicemail, etc.  ATK gives a nice list of running apps, so you don't have to kill them one-by-one.  You can uncheck apps as needed so not to kill them or even Ignore them altogether for future kills.

Some apps just don't quit when you want them to.  And it's nice to have a fast way to dump them.  But like anything else, just know what you are using and don't go overboard.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: 6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

Makes sense to me but I've heard from a lot of people that you actually get better battery life without the task killer, due to the fact that it's always running and scanning apps.  They say that takes more battery than just letting the OS take care of things.  I, myself, noticed better battery life once I uninstalled ATK.  As long as your not totally depleting your RAM, then it's not necessary.  The system is made to use the RAM, any that you have sitting there unused doesn't make your phone any better.  I'm not saying that you're wrong or anythng, just my opinion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Your welcome baby, and thanks for the advice. Lol, yes your right, once a month sounds a little too frequent especially if you have apps downloaded from the market but every few months doesn't sound like a bad idea. I will install the update and thanks again. If I should hear of anything else that sounds positive I will definitley share. I did notice what some EVO holders were talking about with duplicate contacts since the upgrade. I noticed some of my contacts had duplicated but in the upper right corner of the screen I saw something that said Links. So I tapped it n it asked if I wanted to link to a contact already in my people list. So I proceded and noticed somehow the update recognizes yahoo accounts n links their email addresses to their cell #. Sounds weird but my 15 yr old son helped me figure it out. So I linked the duplicated contacts. It was easy. I hope this helps those who have duplicated contacts. I did make sure that when I linked to make the Google account primary.

Highlighted
Journeyman

davidjameslucas wrote:

Makes sense to me but I've heard from a lot of people that you actually get better battery life without the task killer, due to the fact that it's always running and scanning apps.  They say that takes more battery than just letting the OS take care of things.  I, myself, noticed better battery life once I uninstalled ATK.  As long as your not totally depleting your RAM, then it's not necessary.  The system is made to use the RAM, any that you have sitting there unused doesn't make your phone any better.  I'm not saying that you're wrong or anythng, just my opinion.

If they have ATK running constantly then I can see why they would have diminished battery life, but that goes for any app (I've had to plug-in during heavy sets of Angry Birds myself).  But that's why I run ATK manually--at times of my own choosing.  I control it, so I control it's battery use.  At one time, ATK stopped "killing" itself.  When that happened, I reverted to the previous version until that problem was resolved.  I don't want ATK running all the time.  I use Quick System Info Pro (an app all techies should have, in my opinion) to make backup APK files before installing some updates.  It was easy to jump back a version.

Yes, the system does handle RAM usage and it handles it quite well.  But it's not just RAM you have to worry about.  You have to be cautious about apps that connect to the internet not quitting when they should.  Using apps like TrafficStats I've seen logs of some huge data transfers from apps that I thought I had killed but didn't.  You would think they would just sleep in the background doing nothing, but that was obviously not the case.  And now with Air-Push ads, it's only going to get worse.

And the consequences of not making sure internet apps are dead...there you have extra battery usage (Constant wireless activity is a battery drainer), unnecessary data usage (with AT&T and now Verizon, starting July 7th, tiering their data usage plans for more cash), and not to mention the security risks (What information could they be sending?  With the permissions some apps have these days, it can get a little scary.)

Sometimes it's better to handle things yourself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm tempted to do a reset just to clean out the junk but one thing I'm worried about is losing progress in games, such as Angry Birds.  Do 'app backup' apps also backup the app's data and allow you to restore that as well?

I think there is an app backup option in ASTRO, but I have never used that feature.  I'm pretty sure all will go smooth with my contacts, email, etc, but I don't want to lose all of my Angry Birds progress! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there a Sprint rep on this forum?

HTC Thunderbolt OTA Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread Update coming this Week

They are releasing the last update because 2.3.3 was giving lots of problems.

Will we see the GB 2.3.4?

http://androidadvices.com/htc-thunderbolt-ota-gingerbread-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=e...

Highlighted
Wizard

I downloaded Juice Defender and it seems to work very well.  I've never had much luck with all these battery saving apps on the market, being that I've tried a lot of them.  The Juice Defender seemed to work so well that I bought the Plus version for 2 bucks.  You can custom set apps to keep them from connecting and using any data when you are not using them.  The cool part of it is you can keep bloatware etc. from transferring data in the backround, which in turn saves battery.  You might want to give it a shot, considering that is something you seem concerned about, just as I am.  I rarely ever pay for an app, so it definitely says something when I do.  It sounds like between the two of us that we're on the right track, anyway.  LOL

Highlighted
Wizard

I use Juice Defender on my personal Evo.  I love it, really did improve my battery life. I also use system panel because it gives you a widget that you can kill all background processes from the homescreen rather than having to open the program and going through several steps.  This is from a personal standpoint not Sprint, just adding to the conversation.

NRHTX - I haven't seen anything as of yet regarding any timelines for pushes quite yet, but they usually don't communicate them to us until they are ready since it's hard to say exactly when they can get the patch working correctly.

Highlighted
Wizard

_D4V1D_, is system panel an app?  So, it's not an actual task killer, right?  I'm up to try anything, I just haven't heard about it.

EDIT: I just downloaded the free version.  I'm gonna check it out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well David, you've almost got me talked into the doing the update, although I haven't done the last 2, reading about too many problems.  Any I too have thought my phone is working great, why make waves.  When you say Neflix is working great, where did you get it after the factory reset and update?  It's my understanding, it's off the market for Evo. 

I was also hesitating because of the bloatware.

davidjameslucas wrote:

This isn't really a reply, but I did a factory reset for the first time since I've had my EVO.  I just had a lot of stuff on my phone that I didn't use, so I was going to uninstall things anyway, so I thought what the heck.  I've never had any trouble with my phone, including these last two updates.  I guess I've been lucky.  Anyways, I thought my phone was running really well until I did the reset, now I see that it wasn't running as good as I thought.  It's like a brand new phone and smoother than ever.  I had it all back to the way I wanted it within a couple of hours.  If you're like me and have never considered doing one, because you didn't want to replace everything etc., you may want to think about doing it.  Big, big improvement.  Also, I've never had Netflix on my phone until yesterday.  It's awesome!  What a cool thing to have on your phone.  I'm also surprised how well it streams in 3G.  I have the HBO Go app, which is pretty cool, but Netflix is beyond awesome.  Now, I know why everyone was complaing so much when it quit working.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat