cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

Journeyman

Re: 6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

jmiklos...the wireless N issue has been mentioned a few times, but since most people do not pay attention to how they are connecting to a network, it is not getting the comment numbers that it should. And.....Sprint is ignoring it completely.

Journeyman

My 2011 Cadillac SRX does not have the feature to sync the contacts of the Evo's phone book with the vehicle.

Journeyman

Well I subscribe to Google news related to HTC EVO and I saw this posting, looks and sounds familiar.

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/06/htc-evo-4g-update-news-new-update-for-htc-evo-4g-gives-...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm beginning to get the picture regarding Sprint's marketing pitch. Google updates are coming in quicker than phones being dished out. And it appears that the only way you could get a device that keeps up with the ever-so-updating Google operating systems is to buy a new phone. There's no money in new updates for Sprint. If we are given the passive/aggressive nudge that buying an HTC EVO 3D is the way to go, then provide us with hardware upgrade discounts sooner, rather than later. Besides, the phone will pay for itself after a few months into a new contract. I have finally joined the dark side and rooted my phone. I haven't looked back. Thanks for the janky updates Sprint and HTC.

Journeyman

Well, the factory reset, after less than a week, proved completely fruitless. 

Every single issue I was seeing both before and only after the Gingerbread update has come back already (note that they are all random and unpredictable):

* Sense reloading randomly after exiting apps (green HTC logo on white screen appears, followed by reloading of all stock widgets.  See next.)

* Stock widgets (such as RSS News, Bookmarks, Peope Favorites, Time/Weather, etc) reloading randomly after exiting apps (essentially the same thing as the one above, except no green HTC logo on a white screen appears before hand).

* Stock RSS app loses all stories after backing out of the web browser when reading a full story.

* Stock Email widget/icon showing unread email count when there are no unread emails.

* Stock Email app occasionally not retrieving push email from an exchange server.  This has happened randomly since I got the phone and after doing some Googling last night, someone had narrowed it down about a year ago to the problem occurring after the phone transitions between 3G and WiFi.  In thinking about when I have this problem, I would have to agree.  Again, this is a long standing (though random) issue.  Even when this happens, other internet-enabled things still work, so it isn't the WiFi internet connection itself.  Also, generally all I need to do is manually check the exchange email once (after the transition between 3G and WiFi) and it seems to jump start it and then works fine both on 3G and WiFi until after another transition between the two.

* WiFi internet connection intermittently stops working.  It shows it is connected to the AP but the internet connection is non-existent.  This one is different from above in that *nothing* that uses the internet works and instead shows an error that it could not connect.  This is on Wireless G, and while it could be the AP itself, I have my doubts because I have had it for years and nothing else ever loses the connection.  I'm no home networking noob and I have tried just about everything to stop this from happening to no avail...  But I am willing to accept the idea that it could just be an issue with my networking hardware so I don't hold this one against HTC or Sprint too much.  All other issues would seem phone-related though in my opinion.

I've only seen a handful of people in this thread mentioning sense reloading (for example compared to those with BT and voice command problems), but I think this may be a widespread issue.  Though far from complete, 2 out of 3 EVOs I know of exhibit this behavior since the update to Gingerbread and a factory reset did NOT fix it.  What worries me is that thus far, Sprint has not even acknowledged that it is happening.  While I am happy with the improved battery life in standby that came with Gingerbread (as I've mentioned before), overall I feel like this is a step back in usability and reliability.

Please, please tell me that these issues are not just going to be "the way it is" from now on. 

Wizard

Hey Robyn, my service manager finally did a factory reset.  He can now connect, but, you're right, he can't connect his phonebook.  I took his phone and tried it on several different vehicles.  A lot of GM vehicles don't import the phonebooks anyway, but the Terrain is one that does.  It actually has the best Bluetooth system that GM offers.  It's actually better than some of the Cadillacs.  There's definitely a problem with importing the phonebook, the question is, will they ever fix it?  It has to be a Sprint / HTC fix because you know GM isn't going to touch it.

Journeyman

davidjameslucas wrote:

Hey Robyn, my service manager finally did a factory reset.  He can now connect, but, you're right, he can't connect his phonebook.  I took his phone and tried it on several different vehicles.  A lot of GM vehicles don't import the phonebooks anyway, but the Terrain is one that does.  It actually has the best Bluetooth system that GM offers.  It's actually better than some of the Cadillacs.  There's definitely a problem with importing the phonebook, the question is, will they ever fix it?  It has to be a Sprint / HTC fix because you know GM isn't going to touch it.

David, glad your service mgr has his BT working again. My phonebook worked fine before the update. I'm afraid to allow it and mess my BT up again. But, everytime I get into my car it wants to connect...drives me crazy! GM shouldn't have to fix this problem, it's not their problem. It's Sprint/HTC's to fix. But, I'm not holding my breathe! I think I'm going to Sprint today and finally update to EVO 3D. I've been sitting on an update and from the reviews the phone sounds really good. At this point, the only problem I'm having with my EVO is the Speak to Text. But, there's times I really want that option. It's the driving of the car (road noise) that messes it up. When I slow down or stop the car, don't do anything different with the air, Speak to Text works. So, it has to be the faster speed/road noise.

Journeyman

I have a 2011 Cadillac SRX and the vehicle does not have the phonebook sync feature. What now???

Journeyman

I have a 2011 Cadillac SRX and the vehicle does not have the phonebook sync feature. What now???

Wizard

Can you connect?

Journeyman

KDommer wrote:

I've only seen a handful of people in this thread mentioning sense reloading (for example compared to those with BT and voice command problems), but I think this may be a widespread issue.  Though far from complete, 2 out of 3 EVOs I know of exhibit this behavior since the update to Gingerbread and a factory reset did NOT fix it.  What worries me is that thus far, Sprint has not even acknowledged that it is happening.  While I am happy with the improved battery life in standby that came with Gingerbread (as I've mentioned before), overall I feel like this is a step back in usability and reliability.

Please, please tell me that these issues are not just going to be "the way it is" from now on. 

I have a slightly different take on the HTC Sense reloading issue.  I've noticed several people posting about it (if not in this thread, then in the first 2.3 update thread), including myself.  The reason it's not getting as much attention (i.e. multiple posts by the same people) then other issues, is because it's more of an irritant then a stopper issue.  Even though we have to wait for the screens to reload, it doesn't stop us from using our phones.  Don't get me wrong...I hate it...I hate it with a passion.  To quote myself:  "Not a-f***ing-gain!"

Only 2 out of 3 EVO's having the problem?  I would guess it's a lot higher and that the only phones NOT experiencing the HTC Sense reload are those phones not running "larger" apps.  It's almost like the larger apps are pushing the HTC Sense code segments out of memory, causing the need for a reload.  Though this is an odd behavior for a Linux based OS, unless processes are being moved to the SWAP area, but since there's still plenty of idle CPU, I'm thinking that's not what's going on.  Conclusion: who the h-e-l-l knows!

All and all, I'm with you in hoping it's not going to be "the way it is."  Since this behavior can be reproduced practically on command, you would think it would be simple to track down the problem and fix it.  Maybe Sprint/HTC will surprise us and fix it with the next OTA update that will deal with the voice-to-text issue (see post #576).

Journeyman

MAGICIAN77 wrote:

KDommer wrote:

I have a slightly different take on the HTC Sense reloading issue.  I've noticed several people posting about it (if not in this thread, then in the first 2.3 update thread), including myself.  The reason it's not getting as much attention (i.e. multiple posts by the same people) then other issues, is because it's more of an irritant then a stopper issue.  Even though we have to wait for the screens to reload, it doesn't stop us from using our phones.  Don't get me wrong...I hate it...I hate it with a passion.  To quote myself:  "Not a-f***ing-gain!"

Only 2 out of 3 EVO's having the problem?  I would guess it's a lot higher and that the only phones NOT experiencing the HTC Sense reload are those phones not running "larger" apps.  It's almost like the larger apps are pushing the HTC Sense code segments out of memory, causing the need for a reload.  Though this is an odd behavior for a Linux based OS, unless processes are being moved to the SWAP area, but since there's still plenty of idle CPU, I'm thinking that's not what's going on.  Conclusion: who the h-e-l-l knows!

All and all, I'm with you in hoping it's not going to be "the way it is."  Since this behavior can be reproduced practically on command, you would think it would be simple to track down the problem and fix it.  Maybe Sprint/HTC will surprise us and fix it with the next OTA update that will deal with the voice-to-text issue (see post #576).

Definitely not a show stopper, I agree.  I'm just afraid it will be forgotten amidst the more urgent issues. 

I only say 2 out of 3 because I hate throwing out percentages like it's fact .......99% of EVO owners are having this issue darnit!    I have an EVO, my wife has an EVO and all of my co-workers have EVOs (about 11 locally and over 300 company-wide throughout several states).  My wife and I got the update pushed pretty early, but for some reason my co-workers are just now getting it, and only one so far that I know of.  I have the problem, the one co-worker (so far that I know of) has the problem, but my wife doesn't.  Hence the "2 out of 3".  I'll bet if I tried though, I could get my wife's EVO to do it too, and I'll be curious what I hear from other co-workers after they have had their "upgrade" for a week or two.

Also, while it's true that most people come to a forum to complain and it isn't a true representation of the entire customer base, I think it's also true that most people don't complain at all, either because they don't want to bother or they don't know where to go.  So if most people on a forum are having a problem, then it's probably safe to say that a large number of customers altogether are having that same problem as well.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat