Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

Wizard

6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

HTC Evo Maintenance Release - 4.24.651.1 Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Enhancements/Fixes:

- SMS are intermittently sent to wrong and seemingly random contact

- "Me" instead of "Yo" in SMS thread conversations when set to Spanish

- Unable to stream media thru some applications after updating to 3.70

- Email attachments are not displayed in the mail client

- Multiple Gmail accounts no longer sync after FroYo update

- Fix for battery discharge issue

- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

- Downloads management- The Downloads application gives the user easy access

to any file downloaded from the browser, email,or another application

- Corrects voicemail notification issue (from 4.22.651.2)

- Corrects issue with hearing aid compatibility menu disappearing (from 4.22.651.2)

- Netflix compatibility (from 4.22.651.2)

Important Notes:

- The new software version is: 4.24.651.1

- This update should be applied to devices on 4.22.651.2 (Android 2.3 update) and 3.70.651.1 (Froyo)

Devices on 4.22.651.2 will receive the following message when this update is available  “A system upgrade for 2.3 (Gingerbread)

is available that provides minor software enhancements.  Please download and install the following update. System Upgrade 4.24.651.1 (25 MB)”

- Refer to the HTC EVO Maintenance Release blog for install instructions.  When manually trying to initiate the update, you may receive a message

that no update is available.  Please be patient and check back later, or you may wait until the update is automatically sent to your device.

Update (6/22)

- Voice to text (voice search) and compass problems have been reported and are being investigated by Sprint and HTC.  Additional information will

be posted when available.

- Voice to text alternative per community member darnatl:

At  a Sprint repair store, the tech  suggested I try Vlingo Virtual   Assistant app.  I did and although more  cumbersome to use, it does  work  with or without background noise.  It  works in situations where  Voice  Search use to work but no longer does.

733 REPLIES 733
Journeyman

VESPA55 wrote:

ROBYN_5 wrote:

Now that I've had the EVO 3d for a few days, it's really growing on  me. Plus, as I keep reading, and remembering, all the problems with the  gingerbread update, I'm thinking more and more about sticking with a  "real" Gingerbread phone. My Speak to Text works while driving, and  allowing my phonebook to link to Bluetooth is not an issue.

There  are three new phones coming out soon, one being Motorola Photon. Does  anyone here think this would be a better choice than our "troubled" EVO  4g or the new EVO 3d???

Hi ROBYN_5, the techs at my local Sprint Store 'suggested' that I upgrade my phone from an HTC Hero to an HTC EVO 4G in March if I were to reap the full benefits of Android 2.2. So I did. 4 months later, I'm already having gripes with this stripped down version of Gingerbread, and we're talking BARE BONES Gingerbread, and what does the Sprint techs 'suggest' to me? "We suggest you try upgrading your hardware to the HTC EVO 3D." What????? Your suggestion was identical to the suggestion you gave me 4 months ago and now I'm stuck with this EVO 4G for another 8 months! Far as I'm concerned, I'm done with getting the next best thing. I did the same when I first bought an iPod. Rather than getting the latest and greatest thing, I'm still using the same iPod I bought 3 years ago. Same with the EVO 4G. At this point, I'm just grateful that I can make calls, text and get emails. All the other janky gripes and misfires is pretty much stuff you have to live with unless you root your phone. Shame on Sprint customer service. Suggesting to upgrade to a newer phone is just as bad as a person going to a mechanic stating his/her car has some engine trouble and the only to fix is to just buy a newer car. Great.

I was telling my husband the other day "life was so less complicated when all we had were cell phones to talk on." This upgrade on the EVO has been my first experience with a really nice Smart Phone getting so messed up. Now, when I hear update...it scares me!!!

BTW...after just 4 months of having your EVO 4g, does your Sprint Store plan to give you a discounted price???! Right! All they want to do is sell, sell, sell!!!!!

Journeyman

Like many others, my EVO worked flawlessly until the update.  Now the voice recognition is extrememely intermittent for testing, and less often for searching. The oddest thing I've observed is that the voice recognition seems to fail more often while I'm in a moving vehicle.

The call history does not reflesct the duration of a call either.

Occassionally the sense UI will crash and resart on its own.

I've contacted support twice about the voice recognition problem.  The first time, the tech told me to call in if the voice recognition stopped working again, and they would roll back software, removing the update.  When I did call back the tech was rather incredulous at my being told that, and said it wasn't possible.  That's what I thought too, unless a wipe was done and, either load it from the PC or force an OTA load of the original GB OS.

Hopefully another maintenance release will come soon to fix what they broke.

Journeyman

Robyn....I am soooo with you. When updates come around in the future, on ANY phone or carrier, I will be one of the last to update my phone. Also, my next phone will be a Samsung if I stay with the Android platform, but, I am seriously thinking of switching to an iPhone. I never wanted to own an iPhone before, but I love my iPad, and my husband has had his iPhone for two years with never any problem of any kind, ever.

By the way, don't take that Evo 3D back until you are certain that your eBay phone works (if you can).

Journeyman

I have experienced the exact same problem as so many here have documented. I too used Voice Search Daily. And find it's now broken application a SAFETY and LEGAL issue (California Hands Free Laws) I realize that, neither Sprint nor Google warranty software applications. But for me Voice Search and it functions were a huge part of my buying decision. Given that I held out some hope for Sprint to step up and care about there customers I went to the Sprint Repair Center today to try and resolve the issue. For what it's worth, at first the Service Manager claimed to be unaware of any such issue with Gingerbread and the EVO 4G. So I invited him outside (no not to sock him up) to see that even the subtle traffic noise outside the store prevented voice search from working correctly. After seeing what I was talking about first hand he admitted that "yes there was indeed a problem" and unfortunately they have no answers ether. Question, Some how repair handset?, Answer NO. Question, Roll back software to Froyo which didn't have the problem?, Answer, not possible. Question, Replace the now troubled handset under the insurance plan I pay for?, Answer, Still would be left with same problem. Question, Any suggestions?, Answer,  Errr NO! Maybe just wait see what happens with Google, Buy an EVO 3D (they seem to work with voice search) or call the better business bureau??? I really hope they come up with something better on a company wide level. I didn't buy a phone and service from Google, Sprint gets the cash for both the plans and Evo's I bought for my Daughter and myself. This is just infuriating!!!!!!!

Journeyman

I just signed on with Sprint on the Evo 4G. This will be my third carrier in about a year (due to various reasons not relevant to the discussion), but in each case, I have had an Android phone. Not only are AT&T updates a trainwreck (and until recently I worked for AT&T Customer Care), they lock down and cripple their devices until they don't even WORK like an Android phone and the ongoing delays to get ANY of their Android devices were beyond a joke. Don't know how many of you use backup apps to backup your applications, but with AT&T stock devices, it is impossible as they have removed the option from the menus to accept applications from untrusted sources (leaving only the Market).

When with Verizon, my device was at 2.1. They went so far as to post a PDF of FroYo and all it's "wonderful features" making it appear that the OTA was imminent. Phone agents did nothing to dispell this notion and would only say "It will be here when it get's here, but is should be soon. This was back in June 2010 and MotoDroid users got their FroYo in August (and that was after the report of a "successful" soak test at the end of July after which VZN indicated August 6 would be the day. Apparently a dispute about something between Google and VZN threatened to completely kill FroYo for the Droid so, after arguing about it for a week, they moved forward. Meanwhile, the FroYo build specified on VZN's PDF was leaked from a Google server and I, amongst thousands of others, I'm sure, downloaded it and did a manual update. The updated worked 95% well. After THAT, VZN changed to a different build and would not give difinitive answers as to whether the new patch would apply on devices who had already manually updated. In the end, everything worked out, even the manual updaters got the official OTA (although at the time the original leaked update WAS the "official" one), but it took waiting several weeks while customers were strung along and just got plain pissed off. Of course, once the update was out, all people could do was b*%ch about the problems they were having with their phones and some even said "if Verizon had only taken the time to do this right, we wouldn't be having to deal with a half-assed updated that only partly works. Human Nature = "People can never be satisfied".

Remember... the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. But once you hop that fence and land in that green grass, you sink about 4 inches into what was fertilizing that grass and making it so green. Every bit of green grass in the world has it's share of, let's say, "fertilizer" and it's inescapable. Things aren't so bad here at Sprint... where I live, I generally get two bars, and I can make and receive calls without fail, and they sound crystal clear. With AT&T... two bars means definitely NO data services and likely your call won't last long, either. With the iPhone now on VZN, they will start seeing the same thing. Oh... and point of fact...Unlimited Data Plans for Smartphones are no longer offered by AT&T (as of June 2010), and never will be again ... you can be grandfathered in and keep it, but one innocent change can wipe that out for you forever. VZN, this summer, is starting the same thing (funny both happened in iPhone's wake). For me, keeping a little freedom to use my phone as I choose and paying less for more services, but maybe having to wait a little longer than anticipated for an OTA for a major O/S upgrade, or simply a minor one to address some glitches, is worth all the waiting I have to do.

Journeyman

For Voice Search problem, has anyone tried:

Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, (All), Voice Search, Clear Data

Worked for me.

Journeyman

KMTAYLOR55 wrote:

For Voice Search problem, has anyone tried:

Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, (All), Voice Search, Clear Data

Worked for me.

Wow, did you just wake up and decide to add your 2¢ worth.  I don't mean to be rude, but have you read any of the posts about voice search?  For those of us who have this problem, this has been tried and does not work.

Journeyman

Uh, wow yourself.  I HAVE read other forums about this issue and found a solution that worked for me and shared it.  No, I am not going to read 43 pages of a thread.  If you can't use the information given, move on.  [..]

Message was edited by: mapesy, who removed profanitiy

Journeyman

KMTAYLOR55 wrote:

Uh, wow yourself.  I HAVE read other forums about this issue and found a solution that worked for me and shared it.  No, I am not going to read 43 pages of a thread.  If you can't use the information given, move on.  [....]

Well, I have read all 43 pages as well as the other threads in this forum on Voice Search.  I have also read other forums regarding this issue.  Your solution may have worked for you, although I suspect you have not tried it with any background noise.  It was proven not to work for the majority of us with this problem weeks ago.  But, thanks for playing anyway.

GrandMaster

is it working for you while driving is the real question. some slight background noise it will work. anything more than or while in a vehicle doing more than 35mph it seems and nothing works. doesnt even register. least thats the run down from the majority of the people that it no longer works for.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Wicked_Girl wrote:

Robyn....I am soooo with you. When updates come around in the future, on ANY phone or carrier, I will be one of the last to update my phone. Also, my next phone will be a Samsung if I stay with the Android platform, but, I am seriously thinking of switching to an iPhone. I never wanted to own an iPhone before, but I love my iPad, and my husband has had his iPhone for two years with never any problem of any kind, ever.

By the way, don't take that Evo 3D back until you are certain that your eBay phone works (if you can).

Wicked....got the evilbay (haha!) 4g today. Hard to believe she had it for only three months, so many scratches on the screen. My phones NEVER get scratches. Some people just don't take care of their things. Doesn't look like she updated to gingerbread, the lock screen still shows "silence"...wouldn't that say that it still has 2.2? How long has Version 0004 been out? I don't know how to test this phone unless I take it to Sprint and return my 3d. If Sprint/Samsung would just release that S2, I'd make a decision between the EVO 3d and Samsung Galaxy S2. I love HTC Sense, and the 3d is a very nice piece of phone. But, from all the research I've done on the S2, it sounds like an AWESOME phone. Won't know until we see it. From what I've read about the S2, there's disappointment with the resolution not getting updated, still 800 x 480. The EVO 3d is 960 x 540...gorgeous screen. Also, I've read that the S2 heats up quite a bit...not good. I haven't had that problem with the EVO 3d. And, I hardly charge my battery during the day, even though I use the 3d alot, including that addictive stupid game Angry Birds!!!

Journeyman

Robyn...that totally sucks! I hate scratches on my screens on any electronics. What the heck do people do with their stuff? I also never (knock on wood) get any scratches. Send it back and make her refund you if she did not mention the scratches in the listing. I have made sellers take back the merchandise and refund me if they "misrepresented" something. Even if I spent as little as $4 on something. I have had to file a dispute with Paypal two or three times, but I got my money back.

As far as screens go, nothing beats the appearance of the iPhone. I bought the Evo 4G thinking the better screen resolution would trump the iPhone display, but in no way at all does that happen. The Retina display on my husband's iPhone spanks the Evo 4G something bad. A quick way to see the difference is to put Scrabble on both phones and hold them side by side. The Evo 4G does not come out looking good at all. Hubby's iPhone never overheats either. The only reasons that I did not buy an iPhone in the first place were the lack of expandable memory, no Flash, and the fact that it was an Apple product. Well, after having a smart phone for a while now, I have realized that I only keep a certain number of apps on my phone and I don't carry my whole music library with me ever, so size does not matter, I don't want to surf the net on any screen smaller than my iPad, so I don't give a crap about Flash, and although Apple has its failings, those are certainly not in the technological function department. They produce a fine piece of equipment as far as I can see after observing the performance of an iPhone 4 and an iPad for over a year now. Yep, I know which way I am leaning for my next purchase. 

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat