Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

Wizard

6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

HTC Evo Maintenance Release - 4.24.651.1 Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Enhancements/Fixes:

- SMS are intermittently sent to wrong and seemingly random contact

- "Me" instead of "Yo" in SMS thread conversations when set to Spanish

- Unable to stream media thru some applications after updating to 3.70

- Email attachments are not displayed in the mail client

- Multiple Gmail accounts no longer sync after FroYo update

- Fix for battery discharge issue

- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

- Downloads management- The Downloads application gives the user easy access

to any file downloaded from the browser, email,or another application

- Corrects voicemail notification issue (from 4.22.651.2)

- Corrects issue with hearing aid compatibility menu disappearing (from 4.22.651.2)

- Netflix compatibility (from 4.22.651.2)

Important Notes:

- The new software version is: 4.24.651.1

- This update should be applied to devices on 4.22.651.2 (Android 2.3 update) and 3.70.651.1 (Froyo)

Devices on 4.22.651.2 will receive the following message when this update is available  “A system upgrade for 2.3 (Gingerbread)

is available that provides minor software enhancements.  Please download and install the following update. System Upgrade 4.24.651.1 (25 MB)”

- Refer to the HTC EVO Maintenance Release blog for install instructions.  When manually trying to initiate the update, you may receive a message

that no update is available.  Please be patient and check back later, or you may wait until the update is automatically sent to your device.

Update (6/22)

- Voice to text (voice search) and compass problems have been reported and are being investigated by Sprint and HTC.  Additional information will

be posted when available.

- Voice to text alternative per community member darnatl:

At  a Sprint repair store, the tech  suggested I try Vlingo Virtual   Assistant app.  I did and although more  cumbersome to use, it does  work  with or without background noise.  It  works in situations where  Voice  Search use to work but no longer does.

733 REPLIES 733
Journeyman

2586 Quadrant score on EVO 4G??? Holy cow..

I hesitate to provide direct links. This post will likely just get killed by a mod if I do. But I'll point you in the general direction.  xda-developers (forums -> Evo 4G)  would be a good place to look. Another way would be to use ROM manager, which is available in the market. But it can be a little tricky for some ROMs (some ROMs prefer certain recovery images. Personally, I'd suggest AmonRA for a recovery image).

Using stable builds of CM7 with the default kernel (rather than nightlies with a tweaked kernel like the guy in the link you posted), everything (4G, USB disk drive) should work just fine.

My friend ended up switching to Synergy RLS1 with the Godmode option.  It's stable, quite fast, and quite pretty. It has Sense 2.1, which has its pros and cons. I tend to prefer Sense enabled ROMs. Vanilla Android is lean and fast, but so boring!

So far, everything seems to work quite well. Most (if not all) of the problems in the 4.22/4.24 that Sprint/HTC still hasn't fixed are now a thing of the past.  Interesting how the hobbyists can get it done almost immediately, while the guys that get paid for doing it are still scratching their heads.

Here's what works now in Synergy (CM7 too, sans the Sense related stuff):

• Voice recognition in a real-world setting (car, driving, etc).
  • 802.11n
  • Proper orientation/compass/magnetic sensor data.
  • No Sense randomly restarting (Perhaps because it runs Sense 2.1?)
  • No long hang at boot time
  • No battery overheat when charging under certain conditions (I've managed to root cause this one, but I don't intend to share my findings just yet. I have shared them with the CPSC, perhaps they'll take them seriously. Suffice it to say, it's not a hardware issue.)
  • No more lies about the network. Ponder this:  have you EVER seen a 1X (ala 2G) icon on a stock EVO 4G ROM? Hmmmmmm.

• I don't know about the bluetooth issue with some devices (car stereos) that many people have reported, but I expect it does. I have aftermarket bluetooth in my truck, and thankfully it still worked with the 4.22/4.24 updates. I can tell you that Synergy has the following BT profiles:  A2DP, AVRCP, FTP, HFP, HSP, OPP, and PBAP.

Some screenshots of Synergy + Godmode (only screenshots here, no links to anything). If anyone has never ran anything but the stock EVO 4G ROM, here's a little of what you're missing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66657081@N08/sets/72157627353246695/

The Quadrant score in the screenshots represents no tweaking beyond flashing Synergy + Godmode (i.e. phone is not overclocked).

Again, standard disclaimer:  I don't encourage anyone to root their phone. While not illegal, it does void warranty coverage, and could possibly brick your phone (though it's actually quite hard to brick one to the point of not being able to recover, but not impossible!)

Cheers.

Message was edited by: srv0  because a few lines seemed a bit tacky. I am still angry with Sprint for (among other things) their contribution toward allowing that dreadful update to make it to their customers in the first place. It's not entirely their fault, but they are our service provider and have an obligation to make sure things are right with their customers.  For what until recently was a flagship phone (for which we've all been paying a premium), many of us expect nothing less than excellence.

Journeyman

We took my husband's EVO 4g to Sprint store today. They did diagnostic. Said everything was fine. They TOTALLY DENIED that Sense randomly restarts, that Speak to Text won't work in a running car, etc. They act like they've NEVER heard or seen these issues with the "gingerbread" EVO 4gs!

BUT, said there was a new update coming from HTC...I'm not holding my breath!!!!!

I hate it when Sprint lies about the issues we are having. While we were at the Sprint Store, two other EVO 4g owners came in with all the same issues. But, Sprint CS continued to say "their personal EVOs" didn't have any problems. My husband told the one Sprint CS...I'll trade you phones then!!! He didn't have a come-back for that!

I am sitting on an upgrade, have already gotten my phone swiped once, waiting for all the new phones to come out. I don't have the time or energy to bug Sprint about the issues with my EVO. But, my husband is stuck with this EVO for 18 more months. This whole Gingerbread update mess is not right!

Journeyman

The 2.3 update turned my expensive Evo to junk.It has been 2 months now and it is still junk. I have been a Sprint customer for over a decade, but AT&T and Apple are looking pretty good.

Journeyman

htc time fuk up.jpg

Sigh.  This isn't even as bad as weather showing rain on a perfectly sunny day...

GrandMaster

go in and uncheck then recheck the automatic in the date and time settings. there has been some weird random issues with some evos that ends up putting the wrong time and locations. but i havent seen it happen like yours. so this might help.

for the weather issue you'll probably have to remove it and then re add it back on. might fix it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@SSIntimidator

First, if you really have a SS Intimidator very nice....I have a Firehawk myself

About your screen shot, you are running sense 2.x I see. What rom are you running?

Journeyman

As awsome as the Evo was, I had to give up and get a better phone. I got the Motorola Photon. Taking a bit to get used to it but, I am liking it WAY better. It has Gingerbread 2.3.4 and the voice search and commands work better than before they pushed 2.3.3 to the EVO that screwed it up. The 8mp camera has single, multi, sports and panorama settings. Has a battery life setting so this thing lasts half the day before recharge with full screen and Navigation running all day. The Photon is simply put, Superior to the EVO.

This phone is what the EVO should have been upgraded to (EVO 2), not 3D.

Journeyman

@SSIntimidator

Yup, what fireguy_63 said.  Sometimes at work mine tells me that I'm in India (haha, which actually isn't too far from the truth) and gives me their weather. Occasionally happens with a colleagues Thunderbolt on V's network too.

GrandMaster

if memory serves isnt the thunderbolt a HTC phone too?

only phones i have seen the problem with are HTC's. i unchecked the automatic update and havent had the issue since...plus i rarely travel into another time zone so i dont have to worry about my time being off

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

For all you all that have your panties in a bunch....HTC EVO 4G Maintenance Update 4.53.651.1 Rolling Out Over The Next 1-2 Weeks - Here's What It Fixes

HTC EVO Software Update - 4.53.651.1

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Integrated voice recognition accuracy with voice search and voice-to-text

- Image size issue with contact transfer over bluetooth

- Images cut off in Picasa

- Group contacts not in alphabetical order

- Out of memory, Unable to send SMS

Master

@ SSintimidator-

How were you able to take that screen shot?  I am wondering what application you used to do that.  That is very handy.  I have read that Android wont let you take a screen shot unless you are rooted.  Is there a way to do it without being rooted and without using a camera and cropping?

thanks

-John

Journeyman

DJSCISSORHANDS01 wrote:

For all you all that have your panties in a bunch....HTC EVO 4G Maintenance Update 4.53.651.1 Rolling Out Over The Next 1-2 Weeks - Here's What It Fixes

HTC EVO Software Update - 4.53.651.1

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Integrated voice recognition accuracy with voice search and voice-to-text

- Image size issue with contact transfer over bluetooth

- Images cut off in Picasa

- Group contacts not in alphabetical order

- Out of memory, Unable to send SMS

UGH, hope they fix the sense reload issue too. Though since I've rooted again I found a script that adjusts memory settings so that sense no longer reloads, of course that comes along with its own caveats!

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat