cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

Journeyman

Re: 6/20 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.24.651.1)

You are probably right Levi. Either that or I spoke to a rep that did not know that, which is entirely possible. The point of my post was that for those who want the update now, they should just go to a sprint store and have them update the phone.

Journeyman

Hate to break it too ya'll. You cant go in a store to upgrade. The release in only OTA for now. once its done OTA then if you still didnt receive it you can get in a store once the activate the stores for the release file. Just got back from two stores in dallas and off the phone with a tech at sprint.

Wizard

Well Netflix has rolled out an update but it still does not work on the EVO and the EVO has even been removed from the suported devices I'm guessing until Sprint stop dragging their feet.

My questoin to the Sprint team is this. WHY announce a update and a release day if it's not going to be put out?

This talk of releasing in waves is all smoke because you look on several sites and you see people from everywhere in the country and no one has gotten the update yet.

Journeyman

Why????????????? everytime a new release is coming a good phone has to be screwed, these are STUPID marqueting techniques to make people to change to the new a phone like the new 3D upcoming in a few days. It sounds very suspicious to change from Froyos to Gingerbread just sometime before a new phone in on the market. If the phone is actually working charm on Froyos then why to upgrade Gingerbread?, I saw the new AD video intro about Gingerbread 2.3 and it doesn't convince me a single piece. And to finallize this is not possible to rollback. OMG this truly STUPID. If you are in Froyos 2.2 stay there.

Journeyman

Are we supposed to get 2.3.0 or 2.3.4?

Wizard

This will just be a pactch for the 2.3.3 release a couple weeks ago. I doubt we will see 2.3.4 or anything higher for the EVO even though it will support it until everything is strictly dual core releases.

Journeyman MSF
Journeyman

I have froyo, software version 3.29.651.5.  I haven't updated my phone because there always seems to be bugs with every update.  As a cellphone user, I shouldn't be scared about bricking my phone when the carrier releases an update.  I shouldn't be afraid of features that I use breaking, because of a buggy update.  I'm sure Google deserves part of the blame too along with the carrier and manufacturer.  So why am I penalized when they screw up?

As a customer, if my phone is bricked because of an update that a carrier release, they owe me a brand new cellphone of equal or greater value.  If an update breaks features, the carrier should be apologizing publicly and do everything to create a fix asap and keep customers updated.

So why doesn't it work this way?

Unfortunately, cellphone users don't have any power.  Cellphones are still considered to be miracles in our pocket and none of us care that we're probably rendering ourselves impotent and cancer might be around the corner.  So we put up with these update issues because we depend too much on our phones.

Journeyman

ALynch40 wrote:

Well Netflix has rolled out an update but it still does not work on the EVO and the EVO has even been removed from the suported devices I'm guessing until Sprint stop dragging their feet.

My questoin to the Sprint team is this. WHY announce a update and a release day if it's not going to be put out?

This talk of releasing in waves is all smoke because you look on several sites and you see people from everywhere in the country and no one has gotten the update yet.

Actually, this has now been pulled again.

Journeyman

Just came back from the Sprint Store in Daly City (it was nearby the restaurant where I was having dinner). The techs there stated that the update is only available OTA and there was nothing they could do for me. As I walked away from the store, one of the techs was having a smoke break and told me: "Man, I'm not supposed to say this, but you're better off rooting your phone. These maintenance releases seem to do more harm than good and you'd probably get more out of your phone if you just rooted your phone with a customizable ROM from an outside devs" Wow - I agree with him and I totally appreciated his honesty. When I asked if his phone was rooted, his response was: "Yup."

Journeyman

Just got off the phone with sprint. I asked about a new update since my front cam does not work with the gingerbread update, the tech had no knowlegde of any planned update from 4.22.651.2

I asked if he could shoot me downgrade back to froyo, he said that was impossible and I have to go into the Sprint Store to have them downgrade my phone..

The update BROKE MY PERFECTLY WORKING PHONE ! ! !

Journeyman

EBSTARK wrote:

Anyone know if this release will fix the problem of Sense UI constantly restarting.  I feel like it is somehow related to the built in ATK in Gingerbread.  Whatever the cause, it is getting **** annoying to have Sense restart almost every time I return to the home screen.  This problem only krept in with the GB update.  Help!

There is no atk in android, not in any version. there's memory management built into the os. extremely different things.

Journeyman

VESPA55 wrote:

Just came back from the Sprint Store in Daly City (it was nearby the restaurant where I was having dinner). The techs there stated that the update is only available OTA and there was nothing they could do for me. As I walked away from the store, one of the techs was having a smoke break and told me: "Man, I'm not supposed to say this, but you're better off rooting your phone. These maintenance releases seem to do more harm than good and you'd probably get more out of your phone if you just rooted your phone with a customizable ROM from an outside devs" Wow - I agree with him and I totally appreciated his honesty. When I asked if his phone was rooted, his response was: "Yup."

I wouldn't trust most, or any, sprint techs. They still insist on installing task killers to fix just about any problem a customer comes in for and the last one that i dealt with to replace my evo didn't even know how sprints google voice integration works. I had to explain it to him. It's a surreal experience when you know more about the product/service than the person selling/repairing it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat