cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1

Journeyman

Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1

I've been using the phone with Pandora on HQ and haven't noticed any slowdowns. In the very beginning when the phone was booting I noticed that it was slow for a few minutes. After this everything seems just as it was last time. Maybe you can try rebooting your phone and trying to replicate the problem noting which apps are open etc.

Journeyman

I love all the jerks on the forums who are blaming user errors on their phones bricking... that's helpful [/sarc], and totally baseless.

My phone is (was?) unrooted, and I didn't have any apps that I didn't get from the Android Market.

All that happened was that the update to build 1.47 pushed through to my phone twice (yeah, that's right, it pushed through twice... I didn't search for it), and I clicked "install" on the second time, not knowing/realizing that for some reason, the network would push the same update through twice in a row.

After the second install, when the phone went to power-cycle, it never came back on... still hasn't, and never will.

Given my location, all outlets around here are totally sold out of the phone, and God only knows when I'll be able to get a replacement. Needless to say, I'm super-pi$$ed about this little charlie-foxtrot, as we used to say...

Journeyman

First, to all douchebags who blame users: go brick yourself!

I have my EVO bricked after I updated it twice. Sprint refuses to deal with it because I bought it at RadisShack, RadiShack has no phones to replace, or knowledge to deal with the phones which is broken by the vendor.

It is Sprint and HTC who broke the phone, they have no QA in place. Which is bad but not as bad that they can not handle the error they've made.

Second: Sprint/HTC still did not acknowledge the problem! No communication, no apologies, no compensation for the inconvenience, no measures to alleviate the damage they've done. Sprint tech support has no idea about the update. Sprint stores have no idea about the problem.

THe only option I see is to return the phone and cancel the contract, which is very sad: I love the phone and network performance is not bad. But SO far SPrint hasn't provided any other options: they refuse to replace the phone, and they don't fix what they have broken

Journeyman

In response to your query narkeeso I've tried rebooting the phone. Even running Pandora in my basic "At Play" scene I get slowdows. The scene is comprised of the "Water" live wallpaper and the following widgets from far left to right. :Large Friendstream:Messages:Weather:Large Analog Clock (Internet, People, and Meebo app links)Smiley Frustratedmall Calendar/Agenda:HTC's Music, Last.fm, Pandora:Large Footprints: If I add any more apps it gets pretty damn unusable... Dolphin HD pretty much hoses the whole thing.

Journeyman

Hmm I just loaded up your setup and I can't tell if my mind is just telling me it might be running slower or it really is. Things seem to be running okay for me. My best benchmark would have to be running SNESOID (SNES Emulator) and it actually seems to be running a bit better as the music doesn't stutter as much as it use to. So I'm not sure if your case is isolated.

Also, I ran Pandora on HQ while playing SNESOID and still no problems. You should run Advanced Task Killer and see if anything is sneaking up and eating up your resources.

Message was edited by: narkeeso

Journeyman

where where you an hour ago????? I'm bricked...

Journeyman

Everyone keeps saying "if rooted" ... how bout this, the update manager should CHECK THE FREAKING VERSION B4 installing it! Granted, I could have, BUT WHY WOULD I? Should I seriously have to concern myself with whether or not an update will BRICK MY NEW PHONE?

An hour after it happens everyone is acting as though they are so freakin knowledgable about it. why weren't we warned DURING the update attempt even if the program didn't check for the update to see if it was already installed? NEITHER I NOR ANY PERSON who has written about this up to this minute sitting next to their paperweight ROOTED THE DARNED PHONE! This use of the word "ROOTED" is brand spanking new in my vocabulary!

Why is anyone even warning the people who do hack them about such a risk???? THEY KNOW the risk don't they??

Journeyman

You are wrong. The phone prompted many of us to update a 2nd time, when we did, it bricked. If you read all the posts in this thread instead of skimming, you will see. It has NOTHING to do with tinkering while in process. I was patient BOTH times it said to do it. And the people who were victims of this catastrophe, are probably why they pulled the update.

And another person on this thread suggested "if you force the update a 2nd time..." how the **** can I "force" the phone, and the server to do anything it doesn't want to do? some of these seeming knowit-alls are on my nerves. I am not a phone expert, especially not a android expert, and all of the real experts wrote and distributed the patch that did this Wi-Fi shooting.... thats what this was, driveby on the information superhighway as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick and tired of people telling those of us with 2 year contracts on a paperweight what's really happened to my phone, just because it didn't happen to them.

Message was edited by: raymondcool

Wizard

FeralParamour wrote:

I suppose it's time to throw my issues and observations into the ring. I'd like to target this at people who have had a successful update to the new HTC firmware and haven't noticed any major issues. It seems one of the changes that has been made is that the phone will no longer allow you to be on both the 3g and 4g networks at the same time. I am sure disabling this was meant to save battery life. Anyone notice the same thing? Also, after putting the device under heavy load, i.e. running Pandora on high quality, it seems that another battery saving measure has been to clock down the CPU. While running Pandora the phone becomes rather delayed in its responses... slow and framey... think a G1 running the Hero rom kinda slow. Typing anything in this state is rather unpleasant. I'd love some feedback from other EVO users.

My phone updated fine.  In fact, my phone updated twice, without bricking.  I'm not in a 4G area, so I can't say anything about that, but I have not experienced any slowdown when having multiple apps running.  To test it out, I ran Sprint Navigator, Maps Navigator, turned on GPS, bluetooth, and wi-fi.  I ran Pandora, and sent out text messages.  The key presses were fast and responsive and apps loaded just as fast despite other apps currently running.

Lastly, I got the best battery life after the install since getting my Evo at launch.  I had just put in a freshly charged battery and the update finished around 8:00AM PST.  After 16 hours, I finally got the 20% low battery warning.  And I really pushed the phone hard, much more than what I'd consider normal use for myself.  I made dozens of calls.  I was constantly pushing the email, I sent out dozens of texts, I watched youtube videos, Sprint TV, and side loaded videos.  I spent several hours browsing both over the 3G network and wi-fi.  I did a lot of stuff with google maps and Sprint Navigator.  I even snapped a couple dozen pictures and shot about 30 minutes of video.  This is way beyond my normal phone use.  If the battery life before was a deal breaker, there's definitely a new deal on the table.  I know there are quite a few unhappy Evo owners, I know I'd be miserable if my phone bricked after the update.  But as that was not the case, I couldn't be happier with me phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As my previous post stated, my un-rooted EVO bricked after the update.

When I tried to get this resolved at several Sprint stores in my area, the technicians was not aware of this wide spread issue.  At only one Sprint store did the technician indicate that he just recieved an e-mail saying to tell customers not to install the update.  They offered me a refurbished EVO (a returned); but I refused it because I did not cause the issue.  I also wanted to add that my guess, or really I should say my suspicion, is that Sprint store managers are focused on new sales versus giving out brand new replacements out to replace "bricked" EVOs. It will be a huge FAIL on Sprint if this issue is not resolved with replacing broken EVO with NEW ones.

If I don't get this resolved with a new EVO within a day, I am returning my EVO all together.  I'd hate to do that but Sprint has to come through on this problem that was caused by Sprint, HTC, or both. If I have to do this, I will request a credit for the apps that I have purchased on the Android Market.

And lastly, as I think about it.  I drove to at least  four Sprint stores trying to get this resolved without success. I think my efforts warranted some sort of significant credit on my account.  I want to note that Sprint's customer retention was great.  Here is why: When I bought my EVO, I also bought the $12.99 screen protection kit. Customer retention gave me a credit for it because when I get a replacement EVO I can not re-use the screen protector.

I am hoping that Sprint comes through in a BIG way for all customers that experienced this.  For many customers like me, this far beyond an inconvenience! I use my EVO for work. I am a student which I use the mobile hotspot. I use this phone as a tool to manage my work, academic efforts, and my life.

Message was edited by: toney65

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.