cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)

Journeyman

@fireguy, I had the same problem I got tired of it and just did a factory reset

Journeyman

I just want to say a couple of things that I'm certain have been pointed out by mods and people that actually understand how Android works. There is sooooo much complaining. Primarily about handcent and netflix from what I've seen.

Those are issues with that particular app. Not the phone, not the update. If Netflix is a make or break deal on a phone........maybe try reading a book for a couple days rather than watch a movie on a this small a screen. Maybe even spend some time learning what these upgrades mean??

It's not like Windows where the App developers only have to create an app for one OS. There are as many versions of 2.3 as their are phones that carry it. It will take them(app developers) a while to catch up which is also part of the reason it takes so long to get the upgrades. They want to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible. Having trouble with one particular app? Try a replacement or use the stock until it gets the upgrade/update. Which will happen. It's a matter of time.

From what I've seen, I am not having the issues. I don't have issues with handcent and since I use Google Voice, haven't had to deal with the voicemail issue. I haven't read every post so maybe there's even some fixes to some of the issues but mostly I saw complaints about 1-2 issues or apps. And complain complain about the failure of HTC and Sprint to make sure the update was ready for prime time. I think they've done a relatively good job myself.

I understand the disappointment with sense UI. But if you want to, you can get it. Since you basically feel like your phone is a brick due to this update, what's the issue?

I would like to thank Sprint and HTC for the FREE UPGRADE. And if you think there are customer service problems with Sprint? Try the other two giants. See how much worse their service is. I have never seen so many people ungrateful for something free that most of the companies will make you buy a new device for.

Though it hasn't been promised, I wouldn't be surprised a bit if we evetually get a Sense update. But they have to wait for developers to catch up with 2.3 since that was the overwhelming gripe for the last 10+ months. They could have pushed out a Sense update but then the upgrade would have taken even longer.

So to all the whiners, check out Google Android forums and try and first understand how this works. Then go on any other manufacturer/carriers site that have recently received an OS upgrade and you will see the exact same thing. The only thing I'm seeing here are minor and temporary inconveniences. If you can't work around them, maybe go back to factory until your favorite apps, not the device or OS, are more stable. But don't complain about not having the update available. Write to the developers of your apps that are having problems and tell them to provide a port for the device. See how quick they act if they do at all. Netflix and handcent will patch. Guaranteed. Some of the other issues? They will be corrected.

The Evo is a great phone. I'd put it up against any less the new dual cores. But even some of them can't touch this phone.

Wizard

@VoodooDroid

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

Wow...do you think we need to take a breath and think before we post.

State the facts! Leave out the residual, and Sprint will have more time to actually work on a resolution.

Oh…by the way…I’m on the list! EVO 3D in my hand on June 25th!

Sprint is a Damn Great Company!

Journeyman

VoodooDroid wrote:

I just want to say a couple of things that I'm certain have been pointed out by mods and people that actually understand how Android works. There is sooooo much complaining. Primarily about handcent and netflix from what I've seen.

Those are issues with that particular app. Not the phone, not the update. If Netflix is a make or break deal on a phone........maybe try reading a book for a couple days rather than watch a movie on a this small a screen. Maybe even spend some time learning what these upgrades mean??

It's not like Windows where the App developers only have to create an app for one OS. There are as many versions of 2.3 as their are phones that carry it. It will take them(app developers) a while to catch up which is also part of the reason it takes so long to get the upgrades. They want to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible. Having trouble with one particular app? Try a replacement or use the stock until it gets the upgrade/update. Which will happen. It's a matter of time.

From what I've seen, I am not having the issues. I don't have issues with handcent and since I use Google Voice, haven't had to deal with the voicemail issue. I haven't read every post so maybe there's even some fixes to some of the issues but mostly I saw complaints about 1-2 issues or apps. And complain complain about the failure of HTC and Sprint to make sure the update was ready for prime time. I think they've done a relatively good job myself.

I understand the disappointment with sense UI. But if you want to, you can get it. Since you basically feel like your phone is a brick due to this update, what's the issue?

I would like to thank Sprint and HTC for the FREE UPGRADE. And if you think there are customer service problems with Sprint? Try the other two giants. See how much worse their service is. I have never seen so many people ungrateful for something free that most of the companies will make you buy a new device for.

Though it hasn't been promised, I wouldn't be surprised a bit if we evetually get a Sense update. But they have to wait for developers to catch up with 2.3 since that was the overwhelming gripe for the last 10+ months. They could have pushed out a Sense update but then the upgrade would have taken even longer.

So to all the whiners, check out Google Android forums and try and first understand how this works. Then go on any other manufacturer/carriers site that have recently received an OS upgrade and you will see the exact same thing. The only thing I'm seeing here are minor and temporary inconveniences. If you can't work around them, maybe go back to factory until your favorite apps, not the device or OS, are more stable. But don't complain about not having the update available. Write to the developers of your apps that are having problems and tell them to provide a port for the device. See how quick they act if they do at all. Netflix and handcent will patch. Guaranteed. Some of the other issues? They will be corrected.

The Evo is a great phone. I'd put it up against any less the new dual cores. But even some of them can't touch this phone.       

Well Said.....!

Journeyman

From speaking with Sprint technical reps, I have learned that Sprint (allegedly) has nothing to do whatsoever with "working on a solution" for the problems with the Gingerbread update. 

Those who CAN fix the bugs are:

1) Hardware vendor (HTC)

2) Android community (owners of the Gingerbread platform)

3) UI software owner (HTC, developers of "Sense")

4) Individual App developers

Sprint doesn't create any software and doesn't have any software developers working on these issues.  Sprint is only a re-seller of phones and the provider of the Celular, 3G, and 4G networks we use.

So the only thing Sprint can do based on our feedback in these forums (IF they even monitor them), is pressure the 4 groups above to work on fixes.  Although I'm a big Android supporter, and not a big fan of the iPhone; this is Apple's big advantage- they own the software and the hardware.  (But complaining to AT&T or Verizon about an iPhone software problem would have the same result as complaining to Sprint about an HTC Android device problem).

All this said, we do need to maintain a master list of "issues", and SOMEONE (Sprint, HTC, Google, App Developers) needs to address these concerns.  The silence from them all is deafening.

GrandMaster

I know how to backup the contacts but is there a way to backup the apps without putting them on a comp?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Apps that you got from Android Market will be on your Google account just log on and you can download them.If you used Amazon reinstall the store and log in to get your apps back,but data will be lost I think.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)

VoodooDroid wrote:

This post was obviously made by an extreme apologist who doesn't quite have the technical knowledge to fool someone who does.

Android is almost exactly like windows in that it's installed on many different hardware configurations. That was the first thing to tip me off to the fact that this poster is near clueless.

What complaining are you COMPLAINING about? I've seen more people crying about other peoples complaining than any legitimate complaints. Most people are posting their experiences with the update and bug reports. How you could be upset about that is beyond me.

So happy that the update went so flawless for you but not everyone has been so lucky, assuming your experience is the only one that matters is a bit self absorbed, don't ya think?

Oh and I use the netflix app to watch movies on my tv, you realize the evo has an hdmi connector correct? What did you think that was for? Maybe you should read a book too, the owners manual would be a good start!

Stop apologizing for sprint and htc, we don't need that here. This is a support forum, a place DESIGNED for people to come for support and YES "complain" as you put it.

I'm wondering if you think this place was supposed to be people shouting their lust for sprint from the mountain tops while spewing rainbows and happy thoughts from all their various orifices...

Luckily your second to last paragraph actually become helpful, if anyone made it that far through your diatribe.

Journeyman

SNARKE1924 wrote:

VoodooDroid wrote:

Well Said.....!

I totally agree with what you said! People have smart phones like the EVO and the Iphone and have no idea what an amazing device they are holding in their hand. Iphoner's have one ONE dropped call and they 'hate' ATT and want to storm the corporate offices with torches and pitchforks. As you said, people don't knwo how to maintain their devices and have unrealistic expectations of the company, the device and themselves. I've had a cell phone in my business since they first came out and there was crappy, analog coverage. Today I'm simply amazed at the EVO and I and everyone I know has had Zero problems with this phone or hte update. Those who do have problems with the phone HATE it with a passion and it ends up being their fault by having crappy apps, or just too damn many. I've read the posts in the forum and there are very few problems with the hundreds of thousands of EVO's out there.

GrandMaster

i tried appbrain before and i think i only got like a 1/4 of my apps back. i really hate having to reset my phone lol.

never tried google before for this. anything special i need to do? import/export? or are they already there?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

it usually breaks down to not having the knowledge of what to do when a problem comes up. which thankfully this forum is here for. only problem is most dont even know about it or never use it.

some problems are self explanitory or usually can be answered if they just read all the posts in a thread before complaining. odds are some of these problems with the update have already been answered in here at some point. the other issues are still being worked on...hopefully

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat