cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)

Highlighted
Journeyman

darnatl wrote:

All of you who say that Google Voice Search (voice to text, commands,  etc) is fixed by clearing data, have you tried it in a car or an  envirnoment with a lot of background noise?

My Voice Search worked after the update in a quiet environment.   It just would not work in any environment where there is any backfround  noise.

Nothing suggessted to date has worked yet.  I have checked and  double checked all the settings, I have cleared data. I have tried to  uninstall (you can't unles your are rooted) and reinstall (I actually  think this would work). I pulled the battery.   I took it to Sprint  Repair Store.  They tried to roll the update back  to 2.2.  They could  not do it.  They did a hard reset that did not work either.

The  only thing that has helped is downloading the app Vlingo.  It works like  Voice Search, but is a but more cumbersome to use and not as precise. 

My household has two evos.  Both hardware version 4, bought in December 2010, with all previous updates,  non-rooted. Never had any problems before.  Both updated to 2.3 without  any problems.  Both have the identical issue with Google Voice Search -  works when quiet, does not work when noisy.  Installed Vlingo on both  after the update and Vlingo voice commands work although not as well as  Google Voice Serach

Highlighted
Journeyman

I totally agree. Went to Sprint corporate store today, of course they did the hard reset, no luck ( made my life more of a PIA reinstaling etc). No voice to text while driving and told me could not uninstall 2.3 and also told me this update was making me safer while driving. Go figure that one. Also told me, no way to revert to 2.2. So, now stuck with this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)

This is my 2nd post to this thread. I am so very grateful I have chosen not to "upgrade". To be fair to the "technology providers", we scream bloody murder for the latest in software in the hope of increased functionality and the most current tech. I am most confident that this release is Sprint's attempt to keep their customers happy in that regard. However I feel about this like I do about the Windows O.S., any of which typically is worthless until an SP2 release. I, for one, ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to be a "beta tester" in any capacity, especially when my permision is not asked. My phone works very well on 2.2. It's an effin' Cadillac, as a matter of fact, and operates in the reliable manner that I expect. Any upgrade MUST provide for the same superior functionality and hopefully an added feature or two. It otherwise is an unmitigated waste of time and energy for both the distributor and the user. Further, it provides just cause for a full refund of the purchase price of the phone, or a NEW AND FULLY FUNCTIONAL replacement without the need to jump through major hoops or waste my time to have a rep reset and re-install to no effect. This stinks of my Samsung Moment experience. A 1.5 phone that was usable on 1.6. After the release of 2, it became useLESS. So much time wasted in rep/tech reset and reinstall, and "warranty replacements" that in reality was insurance replacement with several refurbs having exactly the same issues. Later, we find that the phone had hardware problems at the outset and the phone was discontinued after barely a year on the market. This, while the workhorse Hero handset continued to be offered for well over a year. In utter frustration, I broke down and purchased an Evo that I am very, very satisfied with. I will not go through my "Moment experience" again. As far as I am concerned, Sprint can KEEP this particular update until they get everything figured out. I'll get off my soapbox now, thank you

edited to quote "upgrade" in the 2nd sentence

Message was edited by: JONDADDI64

Highlighted
Journeyman

There's bad with the good...can't set phone to silent or vibe only by pressing and holding the top button and using the popup menu, voice dialer no longer functions properly, my phone intermittently reboots itself, and fastboot or no, startup takes at least twice as long on my EVO.  No non-market software has been installed and no recent changes other than the install of the software update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Vetorama, please forgive me but I need to ask. If you are trying to use google voice in an noisy environment or there is ambient background noise how do you expect google voice to work?. My google voice works fine after the update but I will turn down my radio in my car or ask those who are with me to be quiet while I use google voice. I can understand if you are in a restaurant and you need to look up something but we all must realize that some of these apps need ideal circumstances to perform. Also not to take anything away from the Evo but if it had dual mics this all would be mute.

Highlighted
Wizard

@ betrthanmost

+1

I agree with you!

Highlighted
Journeyman

betrthanmost wrote:

Vetorama, please forgive me but I need to ask. If you are trying to use google voice in an noisy environment or there is ambient background noise how do you expect google voice to work?. My google voice works fine after the update but I will turn down my radio in my car or ask those who are with me to be quiet while I use google voice. I can understand if you are in a restaurant and you need to look up something but we all must realize that some of these apps need ideal circumstances to perform. Also not to take anything away from the Evo but if it had dual mics this all would be mute.

I think what he is saying is it worked in slightly noisier situations prior to the update. You must be reading him wrong. I don't seem to have any voice search issues myself, but i highly doubt everyone who has posted an issue with it after the update is being too demanding of the app. Sounds to me like they are experiencing some degredation in the quality of voice search after the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please don't have your handset reset. It's a waste of time. This is a software problem. It should just work.

I'm on 0003 hardware version and the latest release of software. (.2) The voice-to-text is unusable in the car, and it was totally useable before. So to everyone saying, "Just turn down your radio". No. That's not the solution. It was totally working before, and they screwed it up.

If I were Google (this is not a Sprint issue) I would fix these problems as small fixes one at a time so people can fix what problems they are having without screwing up what works. Perhaps I'm just ignorant of operating systems, but it seems like patches can be applied piecemeal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

betrthanmost wrote:

I have tried clearing data, I did factory reset also, and no I dont try using voice search with radio on or anything like that (people in the background) other than me driving those are "ideal" cicumstances, and if its not something with the update how come this function worked perfectly before the update in same conditions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

betrthanmost wrote:

betrthanmost  - It's a bit more pervasive than what you may have perceived. The issue spoken of is across a large audience of users, myself included. For many of us, voice commands worked flawlessly before, whether in noisy environments or not. Now they do not.

At first I thought the factory reset fixed the issue, but it does not. I have a QA call-back from HTC who is looking into this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Voice Search worked fine in all environments before the update.  In my car, it would work while driving with the A/C on and radio on low.  Now it does not work at all (A/c off, radio off, everyone quiet).  Before I could text, email while walking through an airport terminal, now I can't.  This is not a user studpidy or wrong expectation issue.

Also Google Voice and Voice Search by Google are different programs.  Please stop confusing the issue by calling what we are discussing Google Voice cause it is not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

WCHADNOEL wrote:

Installed the Gingerbread Update this morning.  Now "Detailed Call History" no longer includes call duration.  Anyone else experiencing this development?  Any solutions to this problem?  Thanks.

I noticed that yesterday as well.  You're not alone.  I'm guessing, however, that there is no solution--that the removal of "call duration" was by design, not by bug.  Too bad...it was a nice feature.

If anyone is seeing something different (i.e. "Call Duration" still appearing in the "Detailed Call History"), please post.

Can anyone from Sprint (a tech and/or moderator) please comment on this issue?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat