cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8/23 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 4.53.651.1

Master

I'm not going to do this update as it may block rooting again, I am going to root since mine is out of warranty anyways. I've never rooted before as I like my devices stock so I experence the same thing other non-rooted customers do in order to provide better hands on support.

But for the life of me cannot figure out why the Dev community can provide flawless ROM's but the manufactures cannot.

mmark27_ wrote:

Levi4u wrote:

How about the MAJOR memory leak, Our phones are almost usless as we have to keep deleting apps in order to do anything, I noticed the other day that my contacts have not synced since july as the phone has no room to downlaod them. I had to delete another 15 apps just to get them to sync.

When downloading Gingerbread I had 129 apps installed, Down to 75 now as I keep having to delete them to get the low memory icon to go away, Which only comes back acouple days later.

This is super frustrating.  Sprint should offer to not void warranties for rooting phones since they are just blowing this phone, its power users [it should be using for testing] and its issues off.  Clearly they were working hard on issues (that besides the voice to text) I had no problem with or NEVER SAW....and I'm hard pressed to find a person that knows their phone better than me.

Journeyman

@terrytrissell  I too downloaded HTCSync 3.0.5551 (on two different machines) and each time I try to sync the software just sits at the splash screen with the message "Updating htc library..." This is why I have a case open with HTC, however they don't have any answers now even though other cases have been reported.

So dshoem01 or mmark27_ if you have any recommendations on how to sync Outlook with an EVO that just installed the Gingerbread (2.3.3) upgrade it would be appreciated. My software number is at 4.24.651.1 and when I attempt to manually update any of the software for my phone it tells me eveything is up-to-date.

Again, I didn't have any of these issues until I installed Android 2.3.3.

Wizard

yes, I already applied the update because I wanted to give Sprint one last shot, I highly doubt this broke the root exploit - since that happened so recently. I read up all last weekend on it and was finally feeling confident enough to go for it.  They had until this coming weekend to do something with this Evo officially.  I'll keep an eye on the dev forums and cross my fingers its root is not broken.

Wizard

Hey everyone,

I know the various issues everyone is experiencing are very frustrating and I'm sorry the updates to resolve these issues are taking longer than expected. I do know that most of the issues reported above are either being investigated or soon to be addressed in future software updates. As always though, with any issue you experience if you can post exact descriptions of the issue along with troubleshooting you've performed and any possible information we could pass long that could help is always appreciated. For example, the memory leak information, we could use more information on that and specifically every detailed troubleshooting step you've performed in order to resolve it, because there's been a few different temporary solutions posted such as the reloading the contacts.

Wizard

Okay Shane_M....give me the exact list of problems you know are being worked on.  Saying the "above list" doesn't make me feel any better.  Sprint hasn't made a peep about what is and isn't being worked on besides the voice to text/command issue (and the voicemail notification thing it fixed with the last one).

Wizard

mmark27_,

I believe the only thing I do not see under investigation is the camera/pictures issue, I'm not sure exactly what totlco is describing if it's a matter of distorted pictures or something else. The other issues mentioned in this post, such as HTC sense, bluetooth, syncing with outlook issues are being investigated. Most of these issues have been acknowledged and updates have been communicated in various other post such as this one.

The two issues you specifically mentioned I can tell you that they are both being investigated, I believe we could use more examples of the bluetooth issue if you would like to give us the specifics on that I can pass that information along. As for the HTC sense reloading, it's an issue introduced with HTC's new power management feature that takes a more active role in managing background applications and helping improve battery life and reduce cpu cycles, however it was discovered that this new feature was flagging HTC sense when it was in the background and closing it which forced it to restart it when you exited an application. For now the only true work around we've found is to use a 3rd party launcher such as launcher pro, it's inconvenient though because we lose the ability of the HTC widgets which are nice.

Journeyman

First, thanks for replying directly here, Shane.  I think that goes a long way to showing that someone at Sprint does care and is trying to do something, even if it's slow in coming.  Of course, as customers, we'd like things sooner rather than later... or no problems at all (that could have been caught in thorough testing) but failing that, a quick response is good.. some response is ok..  and no response is total crap.  So thanks for giving us some idea that things are still being worked on.

As for diagnostics, some things are hard to track down, even for those of us who are developers and gadget freaks and know how to get information out of their devices to even start to help diagnose problems.

Out of what was mentioned (and I don't think I have anything else to add), the three issues I run into on a regular basis as well as my observvations:

1. HTC Sense restarting after exiting nearly anything - You've already mentioned that this is due to overzealous task killing on HTC's part in an attempt to help out with battery life.  Sounds like this is know and is being worked on.

2. Bluetooh issues - With the last mainteance patch, this seemed to get a little better, but I still have an issue.  Specifically I have a 2011 Camry Hybrid with, I believe, a JBL stereo that allows BT audio streaming.  When using DoggCatcher RSS feed/podcast reader, I don't have any problems.  It seems to work well.  Periodically it'll pause for some reason (I think it actually says "paused because something else tried to use the audio output" or something along those lines).  But when I use PowerAmp, it'll crap out and not come back. I have to turn my car off and back on to get the BT to reconnect to my phone even if I turn the BT off/on on my phone.  Weird.   My guess is that some mystery process is trying to grab the audio out in both cases and DoggCatcher handles it well, but PowerAmp doesn't.

3. This is the big one.. ever decreasing storage space.  As one of the previous posters mentioned having 130 apps when they installed GB and now they have 75.. I've run into the same issue.  I thought maybe the apps I was updating were just getting larger and slowing creeping up on my space, but I cleared out 15mb of space and within a couple days, I was getting low space warnings again.  Unfortunately, when 'low space' is the status, Gmail, Exchange Mail and other things don't auto-sync.  Also, having to uninstall an app or two every few days really blows.

I use App2SD and use it's "clear cache" feature constantly.  I've also taken to going into Manage Applications and pulling up apps and doing 'clear data' on them.  Just did it on the Facebook app to free up 6mb of space.

I know some things like text messages and maybe Exchange email bodies are probably stored on internal storage so I set my Exchange email to only download headers and only show me today's emails.  I also went into Handcent SMS and deleted old SMS conversations, assuming they might be stored on internal memory.  That seemed to help some.  I don't text a lot and I'm habitually deleting older message threads now.

I did get an app called DiskUsage that does a very good job showing how much space directories are using up as well as breaking it down by app/data/cache, but without rooting, the system directory shows nothing (don't have permissions to parse the directories in there).

I intended on logging the size of the different areas to try to track down what might be growing, but I haven't yet.

I'd be more than happy to assist in tracking down this bug if there's anything I can install that can send logs back to you guys or anything you'd like me to try.

Please contact me if you would like my help in dealing with any issues (especially this last one).

-Trevor

Journeyman

I also have been getting the memory issue over the past few months. Talk about annoying! I've deleted apps from the phone, moved everything possible to the SD card, and it's still below 40MB free within a few days, meaning nothing will sync again. I've cleared app data and caches, and again it runs out of memory.

I get the HTC Sense reloading issue as well, which while slighty annoying, doesn't make the phone a paperweight quite like losing the ability to sync with any Google related services because the phone is out of memory again.

GrandMaster

the only thing i have seen that will stop the data loss is a factory reset. i had the same issue but deleting apps or clearing caches didnt solve anything. it lost it just as quick as i deleted them. after the reset no problems...cant say for sure if its going to resurface again or not but at least i have use of my phone again...for the time being

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

TGRYFFYN,

I'm going to send you a private message regarding further testing.

To everyone else,

Has anyone else besides fireguy_63 experiencing any memory leak issues performed a hard reset and had success?

Wizard

Shane_M wrote:

TGRYFFYN,

I'm going to send you a private message regarding further testing.

To everyone else,

Has anyone else besides fireguy_63 experiencing any memory leak issues performed a hard reset and had success?

Hard reset does not fix my memory leak.  I had a brand new (refurb) and did some testing with it and the memory leak resurfaced again.  Like others have said, can't put my finger on it.

Bluetooth access issue details:

I have a car stereo that wants access to my contacts list (like most bluetooth devices and Android supports this).  It gives you an option to authorize this device to have a lookie loo at your contacts.  The options are to accept or decline and a check box that says "always".  If you check accept (with or without always), the phone will connect to the stereo, play about 30 seconds of music, then disconnect.  You have to unpair the phone and start over.  IF you check "decline" (with or without always), it will work that one time as normal (without access to phone book contacts of course).  Then next time you connect you have to go through the selection process again, even if you check "always".  There clearly is a permissions issue that arose is 2.3.3 update (the first one).  This is the best and most reproducible issue I can give you.  It has happened with two different Evo's that I've owned.

Application Icons not relaoding after reboot:

if you have apps that you have moved to the SD card, with icon links in a FOLDER on your home screen for quick access.  After rebooting your phone, these icons have the generic Android Icon instead of the proper app icon.  Some people report that if you wait long enough, they will repopulate.  This has not happened on my two evos with GGB.  The work around is to create a Scene with your desired settings and display in your folders.  After reboot, switch the Scene to the stock Sprint one, then switch it back....then all the icons are there.  But you have to wait until your phone isn't thinking about anything else, otherwise it won't work.

You already have plenty of details on the Sense reloading.  So I'll skip my account of it.  And NO, I'm not downloading another fli.ppin' laucher to correct it.

PEAP WiFi security issues:

Won't remember your network and credentials when connecting with Enterprise PEAP WiFi security protocols.  This is used in University settings and is my only option besides an open network.  I will say that this isn't an Evo specific issues, but more of an Android one as other Android phones have this same issue. However, it is still a bug I'll report to you.

Journeyman

Anyone interested in REALLY fixing their Evo 4G will root the thing and, if you like Sense, use FreshEvo and if you dont like Sense, use CyanogenMod.  Just saying.....

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat