cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8/23 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 4.53.651.1

Journeyman

Shane,

After the 2 MRs in June I had to do a factory reset after each one due to a mysterious duplication of every contact in my list and even the appearance of very old contacts that have been long since deleted (oddly enough, never even in google contacts...another story another day).  Both times the memory seemed okay I had like 100+MB left after reinstalling all apps and moving those to SD that could be etc (all the normal stuff).  Anyway the memory is now hovering around 40 and below 40 I get that nagging Low memory indication that won't go away or allow me to install updates etc (even if I am at 39MB).  I just had this on my wifes last night as well, had to uninstall 3 apps just to update 3 then it allowed me to reinstall those I removed...makes no sense (no pun intended).  I am anticipating having to do the factory reset again after this MR gets to me but it is definatley an issue and very annoying.  I have resorted to constant clearings of cache and rebooting sometimes multiple times daily... This phone would be the best if I wasn't fighting memory and battery constantly.  So if you can relieve one of the issues AWESOME.

Howard

Journeyman

I have contacted a lot of people at Sprint about my phone not working after Gingerbread update. Upon trying to install the update, my phone got stuck on the white screen and would not go onto the next screen. I took it into a service center and was told that they would not work on the phone because it had scratches on it. They told me to make an insurance claim. Well now I have had my refurbished phone now and everything has took a turn for the worse. Phone freezes, doesn't respond to touch, wont update market or prl, always forces close and so on. Well I preceeded to do the same procedure of taking the phone in to the service center only to be told the same thing. Not this time my friends! There is no way I am paying another 100 dollars for a phone that is becoming obsolete. Anyhow long story short, I have talked to customer service via phone sprint chat and now as of today via twitter. All of them told me the same thing, you have to make an insurance claim. The thing that gets me the most is that the customer service person via phone told me I was having problems because there was a voice, data and internet outage in my area. I then notified her that she was completely wrong and a liar because I was calling from my phone, therefore there is not a voice outage in my area. Its about time Sprint steps up and takes care of their customers instead of the customers venting on the forums. Hope everyone gets their issues worked out and just thought I would share this with you all.

Wizard

FYI Levi, the Hboot is the same after this update, so one should still be able to root according to XDA.  But I wouldn't take the update anyways if you haven't already.

Journeyman

Re: 8/23 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 4.53.651.1

Something else that is happening since the GB update is the GPS target icon in the notification bar does not work accurately.  I only use GPS maybe once a week so I toggle it on/off via the HTC GPS toggle widget.  Since the update when I turn on gps the icon still shows the slash through the gps target icon, meaning its off.  This is misleading because if I try to run an app that uses GPS, for example google maps, the GPS does work (even though the icon shows its not on). 

If I go and turn off the GPS via HTC toggle widget and turn it back on the slash disappears. This is the case 99% of the time.

I have seen many others complainof this issue so it should be easily reproduced.

Shane_M please pass this along as it is very annoying. Again this did not happen ever before teh GB update. Factory reset did not correct the problem.

Journeyman

There's a completely different thread on the Sense Reloading issue - and this is hardly the place to pound Sprint or HTC about the bug.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/328352#328352

Rooting isn't the answer for 95% of the EVO users that have no idea what root is or how to do it. The painful truth is, techie users demanded a Gingerbread release and Sprint put a decent effort into it. They have rolled out two fixes so far, neither of which can fixed with an update unless Google actually fixes the code that controls the IPM features in 2.3.x... Some may ask how the ROM makers do it, and that is simple - they write code everyday, and do it well. They patch the issues, plug in something and sacrifice something else over the network.

It's a fine line between performance and fixes - and this update is a pleasant treat simply for the Voice Recognition fix and the Out of Memory issue. The other nice feature that I'm looking forward to is the Picasa upload fix. Hopefully Sprint and HTC can figure out how to get a better/newer version of Sense loaded that will not get cut by the IPM feature, but for now, just minimize your Sense widgets and apps installed to SD. Your performance should be much better than it currently is.

GrandMaster

i havent really seen anything on it (or really dug that hard to find it) but i dont really see the 3D having the same issue. then again theyre running sense 3.0 i think...

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well if this "patch" doesn't address the issues that have been voiced by MANY over the past FEW months I am done with Sprint. I went into the local Sprint store (2501 W Happy Valley Road, Suite 18-1000 Phoenix, AZ 85085 (623) 582-1111) yesterday and the representative (Tony V - I believe) was a complete D-Bag. He offered no help and simple tried to make it seem like I was an idiot and didn't know what I was doing. He was very rude and condescending. I have purchased numerous phones and accessories from this store and always been treated well in the past. I WILL NOT go back and in fact I went to the competitor next door to get details on their service. This may be the last straw for me. I hate switching, but I have a business account and will not accept sub-par service.

If any Sprint representatives are reading this you may want to send this on to your customer service manager. I would gladdly have a conversation with them.

Journeyman

does anyone know if this update still has the stupid sense 1.0 or if they did the right thing and gave us sense 2.1?

GrandMaster

that would be a negative.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

fireguy_63 wrote:

i havent really seen anything on it (or really dug that hard to find it) but i dont really see the 3D having the same issue. then again theyre running sense 3.0 i think...

yes, that's true, 3D has the same issue, so does the Shift4G....its clearly a bug where HTC needs to put their thinking caps on harder.  the 3D has TONS of RAM compared to the Evo and it still does it.

GrandMaster

the memory loss problem or the htc spash screen? i havent really seen either of those posted over there.

either way its a pain in the arse. new issues popping up here and there. time for a new phone im thinking.

Journeyman

Re: 8/23 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 4.53.651.1

@mikepoling123

I'm so sorry to hear about your issue with your tech... I'm not a Sprint employee, but have encountered many different techs during my 18 months with Sprint as my carrier. The bad part is, my last few tech experiences have ended with the techs asking me questions about the EVO and why it was doing what it was doing. While I can't get you an answer yet, I can try and help you through the issue until something is actually fixed (or they can roll us back to 2.2 officially and eliminate the problem!)

The part of the puzzle to blame in the 'Crappiness of Evodom' right now is the Internal Program Management function of the Gingerbread operating system. IPM will close 'inactive' programs and reallocate the resources to active programs that need them to function cleaner and faster. It's essentially a task killer - and it doesn't realize that Sense is a neccessary task. That means that the internal memory manager is killing the 'Sense' application because it is a memory hog and it is not 'active' in the phones system at the moment.

A few HTC widgets seem to make the problem worse than others. Music, FriendStream and Messaging really tax the system. Any combination of these will bring Sense to a screeching halt. The Email widget also presents some issues and the Contact one can also require a longer load time. 3rd party widgets don't seem to slow it down so much. I have Beautiful Widget as my new clock widget, HTC FriendStream (non feed version - update only), Data Counter and a battery meter as my only running widgets and have only had Sense reload after killer browser sessions or a Netflix movie.

So, keeping Sense lean will minimize the shutdowns and really cut the reload time. Another great option is to load Go Launcher EX or another Gingerbread optimized home replacement to run over Sense and set your home button to take you there (Install launcher - Press Home Key > Check the box that says always do this > then select your launcher replacement - to undo this simply go to your applications list, select the Launcher replacement app and click the 'clear defaults' button from your program.

Let me know if there is particular items you need help with and I will try and troubleshoot them for you.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat