cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question for the people at sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

A question for the people at sprint?

So I have been a sprint customer for going on 5 years now. I was looking forward to getting a new phone when I visited the sprint store last week but found out that sprint was coming out with a new phone that I had been reading about on endagadget so I wanted to hold off and wait for the release. The sprint store told me that I'd have to wait and order one after it had came in. So instead of ordering one I waited another week and read the reviews only to find out that users were having to charge their phones up to 3 times a day even on standby.

So now my question is, Why is a phone with the same processor and memory specifications as the Nexus one (a phone which has 250 hours of battery life on standby time) not meeting an acceptable battery life?

My second question would be, why are your customers being forced to spend an additional $10 for a feature that most of them cannot use?

I know this probably won't be answered, because I'm just one of the customers who is less concerned about having the latest and greatest shiny piece of plastic. I would rather put my money in to my savings account than have it swindled away so that I can fit in to the social norm. I'm bad for business, just looking for a response but this will probably get deleted anyways.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: A question for the people at sprint?

Hello ncr1988, there are a couple of threads that other members have opened to discuss the battery life - http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/33992?tstart=0.

One option is to download Advanced Task Killer and kill some of the unused apps that may be running in the background. You should see an improvement based on some of the comments I've read from other members.

Journeyman

Sir, you seem to have blatently avoided my question. I believe that sprint owes its customers an explanation. Hype sells but it doesn't hold customers.

Wizard

I am not one of the "people at Sprint", however:

First, as to the battery:  Some of the gurus on the development sites say that task killers actually use more battery, as the operating system wants those apps to run and each time you kill them the system starts them back up.  The repeated start and stop cycles use up more power than if you just let them run, as according to those gurus, the Android system does a good job of managing memory and the idle apps do not use much in resources.  Some people are reporting poor battery life, others are reporting acceptable battery life.  How many apps you have syncing in the background is one factor that plays a large part in battery life.  Whether you keep Bluetooth and wi-fi on when you are not using them is another factor.  There are many articles available giving tips on extending battery life.

Second, exactly how is Sprint forcing anyone to spend anything?  They have offered to sell you a product and its associated service for the price they believe is appropriate at this time.  It is not a life-threatening situation if you do not own an EVO. You are free to purchase it or not purchase it.  They do not need to justify the price.  If you do not believe it is worth the asking price to you at this time, just do not buy it.  That is how our system works.   There are thousands of posts on this forum alone about the $10 fee...you can amuse yourself for hours reading them.  There is no reason for another thread to re-hash the same thing.

Edit:

A user here named 00mred00 posted the following about battery life:

good post but I will say  this...after playing with several apps and settings I found an app  called system panel....it lists battery consumption and processor  speed/load etc.... low and behold guess what was killing my battery?   The task killing apps that both Best buy and Sprint had suggested.

They work  great for a quick kill of unwanted tasks (which via Syetem Panel I was  able to determine were not actually consuming any amount of battery  power anyway)  but don't leave them running!  They each were consuming  about 27% of the battery life....which in turn is why my battery was  dead within hours

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/181768#181768

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

Journeyman

Alright, No one here really seems to understand the question that I asked. So here it is again.

Question 1:

Why is a phone with the same processor and memory specifications as the Nexus one (a phone which has 250 hours of battery life on standby time) not meeting an acceptable battery life?(Having to be recharged 2-3 times a day)

I didn't ask how to get a 20% boost to an already dwindling battery supply. To make a comparison I'm asking why two cars with identical engines and weights have a difference of burning 100 gallons of gasoline while idling in the driveway. Then I'm being told to turn the air conditioning and radio off to use a gallon less.

Question 2:

why are your customers being forced to spend an additional $10 for a feature that most of them cannot use?

wasbakntyme I never said sprint is forcing anyone to spend anything, But well I guess in a way they are. If someone wants an android phone with a 720p camera over their network. They are forced to deal with an extra $10 per month for something that has nothing to do with that feature. Sprint has always had crappy phones and their loyal customers like me have had to deal with it. Now they finally have a decent phone and they killed the battery life on it for what reason? Did they botch googles code in an attempt to add a bunch of crappy features they thought their customers might like.

We don't really have legitimate answers to the these questions, In almost any other market there would be enough accountability for the companies to have an interest in providing a real answer. However in the cell phone market where mediocre service and high prices are the norm, no one is having to answer. The truth is the battery life on the evo could be TWICE as bad, they could of had the evo fee be $20 dollars a month and the phone would of sold JUST as well. Why? Because people really don't care about how they spend their money, they just want the newest piece of shiny plastic.

My contract is up for renewal, the new phone I got for my wife on my plan is still under its 30 day return time. I can cancel both of our lines and verizon has yet another customer. I've been reading good things about the droid incredible. It may come to that, but I really would like to stick with sprint.

Journeyman

So you didn't buy the phone, nor do you pay the $10 fee and you think you are entitled to an explanation?

Please feel free to pay more money to verizon for the same plan.

By the way, my evo got 15 hours yesterday before the charge me notification popped up (and I was playing on it all day). So either go buy the phone and decide for yourself (you can always return it) or don't expect sprint to answer for something that doesn't affect you. Personally, I think the fee is crap, but that was part of the deal, you either take it or you don't.

Journeyman

I don't know if this completely answers your question, but........The EVO has a significantly larger screen (4.3" versus 3.7"), has three subpixels (red, green, and blue) versus two in the Nexus (red and green, or blue and green alternately), and uses TFT LCD technology versus AMOLED in the Nexus. All of these display differences contribute to increased battery use. On the flip side, I have noticed significant improvement in battery life over the first week of use. I assume this is due to battery conditioning. I have no problems going through a 10 hour workday with "moderate" use of the phone and still have plenty of power left when I leave. I also have a fairly poor signal at work (one or two bars).

As far as the $10......heck, I don't even live in an area with 3G, much less have any hope of 4G coverage coming to my area before this phone's lifespan is over. Still, I don't mind the $10 fee. It is what it is. I love the phone and it's features. The massive screen is an appeal to me. If I felt the fee wasn't worth it, then I would choose not to have this phone. It's as simple as that. I do agree that charging this to everyone under the guise of "enhanced data use" is total BS! Sprint obviously knows that only a small percentage of it's customers will be able to use the 4G feature. They really should have just been honest and called it a "projected bandwith" use fee. I would expect that most EVO customers will be using more bandwith than other Sprint customers, just because the phone is actually reasonably useable as an internet device (screen size wise).

Journeyman

My battery usage is ok. One charge lasts the day, but I turn the Wi-Fi, Mobile, Bluetooth on and off as needed (I put apps for these on the home page and simply click them on/off when I need them). Also, I don't mind the extra $10 -- think of it this way. The cost of unlimited (with 450 land line minutes) is $80, much cheaper than other services. If you think of it as $70 + $10, then you'll feel worse.

Wizard

ncr1988 wrote:

Question 2:

why are your customers being forced to spend an additional $10 for a feature that most of them cannot use?

wasbakntyme I never said sprint is forcing anyone to spend anything, But well I guess in a way they are. If someone wants an android phone with a 720p camera over their network. They are forced to deal with an extra $10 per month for something that has nothing to do with that feature.

How can you re-ask "why are your customers being forced to spend", and then immediately say that "I never said sprint is forcing anyone to spend anything"?  And then follow that up with "If someone wants an android phone with a 720p camera over their network. They are forced to...".  Sprint is not forcing anyone to do anything.  If someone wants the device, they can choose to pay the fee and get the device, or not.  Still no force involved.

Journeyman

ncr1988, what's with the hostility? If you don't like what's being said about the phone and the fees involved then don't buy it. Just like with anything there are problems with a new product and changes will be made I'm sure. Maybe you should wait until it's been tweeked some and then look into getting one if you're interested.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat