cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add or remove Android applications on your HTC EVO 4G

Go to solution
Journeyman

Sprint has a page that describes how to Install or Uninstall apps.  This works great for app I have installed or want to install.

But what about all those apps that came with the phone, like NASCAR?  How do I uninstall the ones I don't want.

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: Add or remove Android applications on your HTC EVO 4G

You can't uninstall apps that came with the phone unless you "root" or "jail break" the device, which I would not advise since it voids your warranty. This is what is commonly known as "bloatware".

Journeyman

Thank you for your response.

You got that right when you used the term "bloatware".  It looks as if the best I can do is turn some of the apps 'off' by deleting their data.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you again.

Journeyman

darklighter43 got it right.  I have read through a LOT of online discussions (including the geeky ones like xda-developers) and there seems to be no way to remove those apps without rooting your phone.  Easiest way is to root the phone (I used Unrevoked3 way back in August 2010) and then install a new mod like FreshEvo, which retains all of the HTC/Sprint features except the bloatware.  I also found that just deleting the bloatware (you'll have to search for that procedure) significantly improved battery life.  Installing the FreshEvo phone image is a good way to do this.  FreshEvo is currently at Android 2.2 but there is an Android 2.3.3 beta version (FreshEvo 4.0) available for download.

I currently have settled on CyanogenMod 7.0 as my phone software of choice, for a host of reasons.  It currently comes with Android 2.3.4 and all functionality is good.  I have none of the issues people have been reporting after the latest Android 2.3 upgrade from Sprint.  I would say battery life is not quite as good as with FreshEvo 3.5 (which contained Android 2.2) but it is better than the original Evo software with the Sprint bloatware.

Other reasons to root:

• The ability to do complete system backups
  • Additional functionality like wifi tethering
Highlighted
Journeyman

Doesn't rooting your phone void the warranty???

Doesn't rooting your phone make it so it doesn't work with the Sprint updates???

Your said, " I also found that just deleting the bloatware (you'll have to search for that procedure) significantly improved battery life."

What did you mean by "just deleting the bloatware (you'ss have to search for that procedure)".  I took you to mean that when you installed FreshEvo the bloatware was left out.  Did you mean something else?

Journeyman

rctaubert:

Sorry, I was wasn't being very clear.  Yes, you may not be able to get your phone serviced by Sprint if you return it rooted.  There are ways of unrooting it to factory default condition, it's just a significant amount of time to look up how to do it and then do it - not appropriate for those who want everything to be easy, which I can certainly understand.  Once the phone is fixed or replaced, then you can just re-root it and restore your last backup and you're back to where you were.  Yes, you can't get Sprint updates if your phone is rooted, but getting Sprint updates is unnecessary if the Android image you use (like ClockworkMod, as I use) stays ahead of Sprint anyway.  And updating ClockworkMod is quicker and about as easy as applying a Sprint update.

About deleting the bloatware.  Once I rooted my phone, I found a procedure (quite easy to do) to remove the Sprint apps like Nascar, SprintTV, Blockbuster, etc.  In addition, I tried FreshEVO which is an Android image that already has the bloatware removed but allows you to easily reinstall any of it if you wish. FreshEVO is otherwise a very stock (though rooted) HTC/Sprint software image.

Journeyman

Thank you for your quick reply.

I see what you are saying now.  I would really rather bug Sprint or Android about this and try to get them to provide a solution.

Are there any particular web sites to go to for information or do you simply have to search for it?

I will have to think about this and the consequences of doing it.

Thank you for the info.

Wizard

One advice: read, read, read, read and be very patient

You may want to start here http://www.unrevoked.com/ to root your device

If you want Fresh try geekfor.me

CyanogenMod can be found at www.cyanogenmod.com

XDA go to http://www.xda-developers.com/ look for EVO in the forums

Journeyman

Thanks for the info.  I'll check them out.

Wizard

You are welcome!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat