cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 features missing?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.2 features missing?

Reading reviews of Froyo and some of it's features, it seems like the Evo is missing them...

Anyone else notice this?

A few mentions.  Camera settings haven't changed or even the layout of those god-awful buttons.  I've seen a review that shows a big change.

Image gallery.  I've seen a "3D gallery" with some nice features that seems missing on Evo.

Call threading.  Supposed to group calls together.... missing on evo...

among others...

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Journeyman

Those issues are because those were changes made to Stock application on Android. HTC builds their own Gallery, Camera, and Phone applications, among others. Basically, these were known to be missing. I'm sure HTC will be adding some of those features into these apps at some point, but the Camera already has more options than Stock from what I've seen at least. The only thing truely missing that is actually a part of Froyo itself is the Cloud Backup setting. We should have a setting that allows us to backup our settings, and some applications are supposed to be able to do this as well, but its missing. Kinda annoying. As for the apps you mentioned, you can find the Gallery3D.apk floating around and you can install it like a normal app. The camera was updated to have the buttons rotate in all directions, based on the way you hold it and 720p video recording was improved, so the camera still has improvements.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I did see the changes you mentioned but the camera controls are just so klunky on Evo, would have been nice to see the 2.2 stock controls included... all at the right thumb print...  and the gallery is just bells and whistles but it looked really cool.

Overall I was looking for the performance gain... which I got... and I'm hoping battery life improves as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I haven't really had a chance to test battery yet, but I think its at least a little better. I hear 4G is improved, but again, I haven't been able to test that yet. The performance improvements are definitely the best part, along with apps to sd, some of the little UI tweaks, and the other things. The Gallery 3D app, if you find and install it, allows you to integrate it with Picasa, which is why I use it. The 3D effects are cool, but sometimes get in the way. Sorry that the camera controls aren't as good as you'd like. I know having a button to easily switch between cameras and between still and camcorder would definitely be nice. Other than that, I'm used to the interface and think it works pretty well. I'm sure HTC will keep improving it. I'm going to try to make a blog post of all the new features soon, if I can find the time. There sure are a lot!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat