cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you worried that sprint can't deliver EVO 4G phones?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are you worried that sprint can't deliver EVO 4G phones?

I'm a current iPhone/AT&T 3G user and after trying the iPhone 4 and returning it (dropped calls, very poor reception, antenna problems, proximity problems, etc. etc.).  Now that my iPhone 3G has been reduced to unusable thanks to Apple's OS4.x updates, I'm in a market for either a EVO 4G or Droid X.  Wife went with a Droid X and got it delivered within a week, rep was very helpful with pretty precise on delivery date.

I've "pre-ordered" my EVO 4G from BestBuy and have been told they don't know when they'll get the phone in?  So I'm like, what do you mean you don't know??  In this day and age when everything is tracked from manufacturing (even the individual components that go into making the entire phone are tracked at the source) to final destination, how can a company as large as Best Buy not know??  So I contacted sprint (called) and got the same answer, they don't know when they'll be available??  Did I just enter the Twilight Zone ... is this 1950??

Why I'm worried:

1.  Sprint Senior Management doesn't have any process in place to track volume and availability -- this is 2010 right, not 1950?

2.  Sprint phone support was unhelpful at best.

3.  Sprint release a new phone but don't have the financial muscle to ensure enough phones can be produced to meet the demand

4.  Sprint mgmt seem unaware of iPhone user problems which has caused those customers to look elsewhere (aka more demand)

If I was this incompetent at my company, I would have lost my job a LONG time ago.  How can any company this large NOT KNOW or track it's volume, where that volume is going AND provide delivery information to it's retailers receiving the shippments?  I can't believe it, it's scares me to believe that Sprint don't have this information available?  Scares me so much that I'm concern as to what other areas Sprint would fail to deliver on - like maybe 4G coverage.

So is it time to move to Verizon?  Apple failed, Sprint failed.  Or, should I wait it out with "indefinite" delivery date?

For the record, I have contacted 34 retailers in my area and outside of my area asking for EVO 4G stock -- every single one of them has said "They don't know".  Spooky isn't it ... 2010 and nobody knows anything.  Doesn't leave me feeling confident about Sprint.

Rob

31 REPLIES 31
Journeyman

Re: Are you worried that sprint can't deliver EVO 4G phones?

I know the feeling. I ordered my EVO on 8-11 and it still is being processed at this time. I was unaware that the phone would be on back order for at least 10 business days. That means it will take a little more than 2 weeks just for the phone to be shipped! None of the reps at Sprint can tell me anything but to keep checking on the order status online. You would think that Sprint would have ordered a hell of a lot more EVO's after such a big hit with them. Now they are loosing business from their negligence.

Journeyman

Has to be one of the dumber things Sprint has ever done. The EVO is an awesome phone. It is better than the iPhone. You have people ready to switch and 2 months later, Sprint still doesn't have any EVOs? Wow.

Journeyman

Does Sprint monitor these forums (I think I know the answer given their current inability to even monitor their own volume of phones)?  I'll give Sprint until end of this week Aug 20th (Friday).  If nothing, then I'll go order a Droid X.

I must admit, this is BIZARRE -- huge demand for the phone but no one able to provide any information of it's availability, talk about poor business practices.

One would think that these companies would have their sh!t together, yet Apple managed to fail with the iPhone 4, screw their existing 3G customers, and Sprint doesn't know if they have any phones, ... could they leave the door more WIDE open for Verizon to dominate the market?  Other than "really?" - is this the state of the mobile device/phone industry?

Journeyman

I can be understanding that they just got caught unprepared for the demand.  You might have though that given the huge buzz around the phone they would have ramped up a little harder early on, but hind sight is always the best sight.

What's really frustrating though is the lack of concrete information.  Other carriers seem to let you purchase a backordered phone.  Get in line basically.  They also give you an idea when you will get it (x weeks).  Sprint seems to be really evasive about letting any information out.  There are Sprint employees that read and reply here frequently, but never with any real details (not allowed to I'm sure).

I got on an EVO waiting list at Best Buy, and my local Sprint store, back in late July.  It's mid August now.  I've not heard a word from either.  That's frustrating.

It sounds like if you really want this phone, you have to make daily phone calls to local Sprint/BestBuy/Walmart/RadioShack stores.  But others have said you're better off visiting in person, as store managers don't want to tell callers they have them, then feel obligated to hold them for people that might never show.  Problem is, there are a lot of people like myself that just don't have time to do that.  I work long days, have a family that needs things, etc.  I just can't spend a chunk of every day calling or god forbid driving around from store to store hoping this might be the day one of them gets a few phones, and hoping I just happen to be there at the right time.  That Sprint would feel this is the best way to distribute phones is really baffling to me.

Help us out Sprint.  Put together a real and fair distribution plan, vs. this roll-of-the-dice phone man-hunt.  And be open about what supplies are really coming.  Dates and numbers.  I don't expect exacts, but something concrete.  The weeks of vague information about some undisclosed number of phones slowly being delivered to undisclosed stores, with more undisclosed number coming in greater volume at some future undisclosed date is just making it feel like you're hiding a more ugly situation.  It was passable at first, but as weeks drag into months (launch date was first week of June) it slides from understandable launch recovery murkyness to feeling like something is quite wrong.

The short version:

Sprint needs to be more open about what real current and future supplies are, as best they know them.

Sprint needs a distribution plan in place, so the people waiting longest for the phone get them, vs. lucky walk-ups.

Journeyman

Sprint sucks, and they should lose millions of customers.

Journeyman

The lack of information is definitely disturbing, like I said, doesn't want me to embrace Sprint as a customer.

If no word by this Friday (August 20th), I'm off to Verizon and order a Droid X.  Verizon also have a 4G phone in the works and upgrades for  existing Droid X customers are free ... soooo....

I feel a little sorry for existing 4G owners, if Sprint can't get their act together on simple delivery times of the EVO 4G phone, I doubt they can even get remotely close to when customers will see 4G in their area.

Like I said, it boggles the mind that Apple and Sprint could be so OUT OF TOUCH with consumer reality.

Rob.

Journeyman

This is a widespread problem amongst all carriers. For example, Verizon was out of stock of the HTC Droid incredible for over 3 months due to a supply problem. The Droid X was promised by Motorola to have enough availability at introduction yet they ran out and had a 3 week delivery problem. This is not a Sprint problem but an HTC problem and it affects other carriers and devices.  You also said that Verizon will update the Droid X for free, but not to 4g (it has no capability) nor will they update to a font facing camera as it is not part of the phone. They have promised to update to 2.2 Froyo, which users of the Droid X and Droid Incredible are still waiting for. The Evo got the update on August 3rd. I would recommend that you continue to call Sprint customer service and tell them you are a new customer switching to them and also ask to speak to someone else if you don’t get a satisfactory response.

Journeyman

robains - I understand your frustration, since I absolutely love my Evo and can't imagine not having one yet.  However, if you go back to the Verizon website to order a Droid X right now (as I just did) you'll see that they won't be shipping any more until August 31st because of the high demand.  The latest, hottest phones are always going to sell out fast, and then the waiting game begins. From what I understand from posts on other forums, you may have better luck if you actually go to a Sprint store and tell them you are a new Sprint customer.  They will sell one to a person standing in front of them before they will commit to selling one to someone over the phone. My understanding is that the stores are receiving a few at a time and they are mostly sold first come, first serve. I wish you luck receiving one soon.  You'll love it!

Journeyman

My wife got her Droid X within a week -- not sure I understand you there?  But the point with Verizon is that they were able to provide a delivery date.  That's my real point, Sprint seem to be completely clueless -- even if there is a supply problem, Sprint should be aware and should be able to get commitment dates.  I've never heard of a supplier (HTC) saying to a very large significant "client" -- "you'll get them whenever we're ready".  That just doesn't happen in the real world.  It might be that there is a significant problem with supplier, but the supplier will provide details.

If Sprint are purposely keeping everyone in the dark for delivery dates, then that is a good indication there is a more serious problem.  So serious that providing the information would lose more customers than keeping everyone in the dark.  Which unfortunately means A LONG LONG wait.

Verizon are working on 4G ... my point about upgrades is that Verizon offer "free" phone upgrades or discounted upgrades ... I know the Droid X can't do 4G, but the next version will ... but you are right, it's not going to be a "Free" upgrade.  But as of right now, nobody really has 4G in any meaningful way, only 4 cities in CA and those cities are remote areas -- why select such remote areas??  My guess is because large areas would simply overload Sprint's networks -- so even though Sprint have 4G now, it's virtually useless.  Given Sprint's ability to provide the EVO 4G, it's even less likely Sprint can provide 4G coverage in a major area (like say SF/Bay Area or LA) -- it'll be the same "coming soon" promise.

I'll call Sprint again, but I can't keep doing this ... especially when other alternatives are available now.  But if they feed me a BS delivery date just to try to "keep" me interested, that's not gonna happen.  Like I said, if I don't get some type of positive commitment (verifiable) by Friday 8/20/2010, I need to proceed with another carrier.

I do agree with you that all 3 major carriers have been extremely poor -- no single carrier can seem to get it right, not Apple, not Sprint, not Verizon -- they all missed the boat.  My only conclusion is senior management problems ... I know Apple fired a few execs over their iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G OS4 issues.  But that seems to be the echo of companies these days, "no one else can do it right, so it's ok for us to not do it right".  Kinda mind boggling when you think about it ... these Execs get paid and compensated with some serious cash, yet can't deliver.  I wonder if Sprint and/or Verizon have let some of their heavy hitting "baggage" go?

Journeyman

Just got off the Phone with Shelly at Sprint.  She indicated that there is a supply problem with HTC and it would be mid to late Sept before they see any significant supply.  She indicated their online store has been out of EVO 4G since end of June.  Unfortunately she said they do not have a master database of to point me to a Sprint store that "might" have the EVO 4G, but she said it's very unlikely.

What I did find VERY interesting is that she tried to sell me on the Samsung Epic 4G which will be available in quantity on August 31st.  Which sounds to me like Sprint diversified their options as it was clear that HTC is not able to meet the demands.  It costs a little more than the HTC and has a slide out keyboard but screen is smaller ... hmmm, I like the large phones/screens and I'm not a big fan of slide out keyboards.  But going to the sprint web site and it appears all the Epic 4G's are pre-sold also and I'd have to wait for another shipment which would be who knows when.

Think I'll just go with Verizon, as it stands now, I couldn't get EVO 4G or Epic 4G until late Sept early Nov.

Bizarre world of Mobile/Phone devices.

Master

As someone else posted above, it's not just the EVO that has been having inventory issues. The Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Nexus One, and Droid X all have had inventory or parts issues over the last several months. Personally I think it's related to the fact that these smartphones all use almost identical parts now. They all use 1GHz Snapdragon processors, they all rely on the same suppliers for parts, and those suppliers simply can't keep up with the 900% increase in Android phone sales from last year.

robains wrote:

Just got off the Phone with Shelly at Sprint.  She indicated that there is a supply problem with HTC and it would be mid to late Sept before they see any significant supply.  She indicated their online store has been out of EVO 4G since end of June.  Unfortunately she said they do not have a master database of to point me to a Sprint store that "might" have the EVO 4G, but she said it's very unlikely.

What I did find VERY interesting is that she tried to sell me on the Samsung Epic 4G which will be available in quantity on August 31st.  Which sounds to me like Sprint diversified their options as it was clear that HTC is not able to meet the demands.  It costs a little more than the HTC and has a slide out keyboard but screen is smaller ... hmmm, I like the large phones/screens and I'm not a big fan of slide out keyboards.  But going to the sprint web site and it appears all the Epic 4G's are pre-sold also and I'd have to wait for another shipment which would be who knows when.

Think I'll just go with Verizon, as it stands now, I couldn't get EVO 4G or Epic 4G until late Sept early Nov.

Bizarre world of Mobile/Phone devices.

There are a lot more differences between the EVO and the Epic, and each one has advantages and disadvantages over each other. It depends on what you are looking for.

The EVO has a 4.3" LCD screen. The Epic has a 4" Super AMOLED (new technology, and mind blowing in my opinion)

The EVO has an 8MP camera with dual LED flash, 720p video, and a 1.3MP front camers. The Epic has a 5MP camera with LED flash, 720p video, and a VGA front camera.

The EVO has HDMI out and a kickstand. The Epic supports wireless DLNA (audio, video, picture) streaming.

The EVO has Android 2.2 now, but launched with Android 2.1. The Epic is launching with Android 2.1 but will be getting 2.2 soon after release.

The EVO runs HTC Sense on top of Android. The Epic runs TouchWiz 3.0 on top of android. Both have very similar capabilities but look different and operate slightly differently.

The EVO is thinner because it is only a touchscreen. The Epic is fatter because it has a sliding keyboard, and also comes preloaded with Swype for the on-screen keyboard.

So it depends on what you want in the device. Personally I love the EVO, but I'm going to be getting an Epic because of the reviews on the camera of the Galaxy S phones, the Super AMOLED screen, I can use DLNA with my PS3 for all my streaming, and the keyboard.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat