cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching pictures to messages

Highlighted
Journeyman

Attaching pictures to messages

I've been attempting to send pictures to some people in messages, they appear to attach just fine but the other person never receives them.  I can receive pictures from others.  Regular texts work fine, all other functions are fine.

This will be the third phone in a row that I'm unable to send picturemail/mms on.  The previous two being a PPC6700 and Touch Pro.  Yes, I've been having this issue for 4 or so years, but now its irritating me.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Patron

Hi there!  Can you please describe when the receiving person can't see attachments? I have 3 questions that might help narrow down why the images aren't going through to your friends.

1 - Are they using their mobile device or retrieving the message you're sending them on their computer through email?  I'll assume mobile device since this is a mobile device thread.  I've personally only encountered this issue when the other person is using an iPhone so that brings me to my next question.

2 - Are your receiving party using iPhones?

3 - What is the image size you're trying to send?

I suspect it's # 3 that's the root of your problem.  If your images are too large in size (and I don't know what would be considered too large with an MMS style message but I'm now going to try to find out since you have me curious), then the attachment is stripped off the message when you're sending it to your friends.  The only way around this is to email it since you've already taken the image.  MMS have limits just like an email server - e.g. you can't send a 40MB file from most email service providers.  The systems would croak if the providers didn't place an upper limit on the file size for files people want to send to each other.  It's impractical for the various providers to allow such a thing.  We as the general users would have to ultimately pay for their ability to support a very small population of people who would do such thing and it would drive our costs up when we aren't the users who would be using that sort of capability.

Try this if you think # 3 is the problem.  Set your camera resolution to the lowest resolution, smallest file size possible just for an experiment.  Snap a photo of something and send it to one of your friends who wasn't able to receive images from you previously.  Ask that person to confirm if he or she received an image.  If the image went through, then it's a file size issue.  If it didn't, then see if they're using an iPhone.  I've had problems with iPhone users not being able to send or receive images to and from me and I'm clueless on why this would be a problem.  Perhaps scanning iPhone Forums might help.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

1 - no, I'm sending it MMS so they should receive it on their phone

2 - no, its a Samsung Moment that I would usually be sending to (so its even android to android)

3 - no, its not a size issue, the EVO 4G auto-reduces the size of pictures that are too large for MMS

Highlighted
Journeyman

It appears I have corrected it.  When I imported the contacts from the GMail account into the phone it imported for this specific contact in the order of work, mobile, home.  But it said 'primary' next to mobile.

I deleted the contact and re-added it, but was sure to add the mobile number first.  Now it appears to be functioning properly, but this seems like a pretty stupid limitation of the Android software, or of the messaging application.  Especially since texts would work just fine, it appears MMS messages default to the first number in the contact no matter what you pick in terms of the 'to' field when creating it.

I'm rather disappointed in the poor programming.

Highlighted
Patron

That's great!  I think you just helped me fix an annoyance I haven't gotten around to looking into yet where the imported contacts the Sprint store transferred for me from my Verizon Blackberry to the Evo 4g resulted in a very long list of Unnamed people.  There is no 'name', just a company name in the Company field and it looks like I have to somehow figure out how to properly tag these so when I sync with Outlook, I have everything I need from the computer onto the hand held unit.

What a major pain to switch phones any more.

Glad you figured out the issue with not being able to send pictures!  Thanks for sharing!

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks for explaining the down-sizing of the images on the Evo, I was wondering why I saw a 'too large to send' message flash on the screen, then disappear and the image would send anyway.  I figured there must be something going on that allowed the user to continue with the send feature.  I'll have to send myself a photo to my other cell phone and see how much of a size diff it ends up.  Cool feature!

At least they got something in their programming 'right' as a customer delight feature!

Highlighted
Journeyman

wolfhelm wrote:

I've been attempting to send pictures to some people in messages, they appear to attach just fine but the other person never receives them.  I can receive pictures from others.  Regular texts work fine, all other functions are fine.

This will be the third phone in a row that I'm unable to send picturemail/mms on.  The previous two being a PPC6700 and Touch Pro.  Yes, I've been having this issue for 4 or so years, but now its irritating me.

This was happening with my Wife's phone last night.  I contacted Sprint, and they had us to the usual procedures (Reboot Phone, etc.), and they also pushed an update to the phone to Re-Sync it with the provider  ... What I also suggested to the Rep was that I did discover was that I had not yet have a contact created for my wife in my phone, hadn't sync'd any of them at this point... Once I added her contact in my Phone book I was able to recieve the messages with pictures from her finally.  At this point, we weren't sure if it was because of the Re-Sync with Sprint, or if it was something that the Evo dosen't allow you to receive Attachments to Text Messages without that contact being in your phonebook/contact list... Security feature maybe?

Highlighted
Journeyman

i have the evo and can not send any pics to wifes phone it is an android based have another friend that got them for half a day then just stopped son has evo and can send to both

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat