cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Evo Gingerbread breaks app links in folders

Highlighted
Wizard

I have many applications that are in folders on my home screens. The Apps that are on the SD lose their links and turn into the Android generic symbol. This has happened three times. I have reformatted my SD so I know it's not corrupt. I believe this is a reproducible bug. Anyone else???

Tags (3)
24 REPLIES 24
Journeyman

I have this happening as well, however, after a couple of minutes, the links reappear and work normally. This only occurs when I power off the phone and power it back on.

GrandMaster

same here. but for some reason the phone either goes to the white htc screen or shows a loading screen after playing any games that take alot of memory or have high detail. once it goes back to the home screen a few apps will have the generic android symbol but will go back to normal after a lil bit.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

Mine doesn't correct itself, they stay the generic icon and not the proper app icon.  This is a gingerbread bug for sure.  Please report this to HTC.

others, please try to load a few apps into a folder on your homescreen that are apps that are installed on your SD card.  Then reboot the phone, go back into that folder, are your icons still there?  I bet not. 

I've tried to unmount and remount the SD, no dice. reboots cause the proper icons to be replaced by generic symbols.  This S.UCKS

Wizard

I'd include a screen shot, but this Gingerbread update disabled ShootMe from working on Evo without Root.

I take back my comments about this being the smoothest Android update.

Wizard

Are others able to reproduce this?

Journeyman

I have the same problem.  Occured when my phone powered down from low battery.  Nothing fixes it unless I delete the icons from the folders and re add them each time the phone shuts down.  It doesn't happen to all my icons but - Evernote, Pandora, Scoremobile, Goggles, Movies, Google Sky Map, Barcode Scanner, My Tracks, Google Translate all are impacted by this.

Journeyman

I am also experiencing this same problem.  I not sure that many people put app icons in folders (at least that I have seen) so there may not be much buzz about it, but for us that do like to have our apps organized it is frustrating.  The links still work, but oddly the icon reverts back to the generic Android App Icon if you ever reset your phone.  Even if you delete the app link from the folder and replace it, it will stay App Specific only until you reset your phone at which time it reverts back to the Generic Android App Icon.  Once again, oddly it is not every app just most.  Its not a deal breaker for me since the links still work, but it is annoying.  There must be a EVO update specific bug in regards to this.  Has anyone posted it on a forum where someone who could fix it might see it???  If so, link it here so the rest of us having this problem can reinforce that post (i.e. so its not just a lone voice in the wilderness). Thanks in advance

Journeyman

My EVO 4 work exactly the same way.  Install an app in a folder, icon ok, reset, generic icon.  Needs fixin'

Journeyman

I've got the same problem with the folders.......

Wizard

Re: Bug: Evo Gingerbread breaks app links in folders

I haven't seen this one reported.  Let me make sure I've got the scenario right:

- only happens to apps on the SD card

- some app icons appear as the generic android app icon

- removing and re-adding the link changes the icons back to the app icon; rebooting the device reverts the icons back to the generic android app icon

- the app link still works

- reset with the "Restart" the icons change. If you instead "Power Off" then turn back on, the icons do not change.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - added the restart vs. powering off

Journeyman

That is correct.  I just found an addition though.  If you reset with the "Restart" the icons change. If you instead "Power Off" then turn back on, the icons do not change.  Hope someone is collecting this data to find a fix.  Thanks in advance

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat