cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Sense constantly being reloading when hitting back/home button (2.3.3)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bug: Sense constantly being reloading when hitting back/home button (2.3.3)

I wan't to get this bug some more attention, if you're experiencing it too please post here and make sue you contact sprint directly about the issue.

This is easily the most annoying bug in the release IMHO and even though it seems more isolated than some of the others it really needs to be fixed in the next maintanance update.

What happens is you're in an app like the browser, market, a game, just about anything and when you go back to your home screen Sense has to reload. You get the White screen with the green htc logo and then it starts reloading your home screens, icons and widgets, it also has to reload apps from the sd card into your app drawer.

What's even worse is I've read that this affects not only sense but other home screen launchers like ADW and Launcher Pro.

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Wizard

I see it on one of my device but it does not annoy me yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Affirmative -- I'm having the exact same problem... it even happens when I'm pushing buttons on my Google Voice Settings Widget... so every time i press "new message", RELOAD!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i noticed it happens alot more for me while using vlingo for a longer duration(driving a half hour home from work). some other apps do it but only here and there. games mostly. never while exiting any of the main things i use like texting. once while getting off a call and trying to make another call right after. not the greatest if you have an emergency call you have to make and you gotta wait for it to reboot before you can call 911.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

My HTC EVO finally crashed and burned yesterday - I tried something  (see below) that I thought was increasing my Sense problems - decided to  reboot - and it could not reboot successfully - got part way through  and started over ... and over ... and over ...

So - I did a "clear all data" reboot - started rebuilding my  phone - and it's been pretty damn good for 24 hours - which isn't long -  and will probably end now that I've said it ...

But, in case this helps anyone else: I had been running a widget  called No Lock for a long time with no problems. It allows you to  eliminate the lock screen - and the swipe to bring it up - entirely:  when you hit the power button, you go directly to the home screen, or  whatever app you were running. I use it when I am home, or in some other  safe environment. And I would enable the lock when away from home,

Anyway, I started to get an idea it might be the cause of the  Sense problems - I tried another similar widget - seemed better at first  - then not - flipped back and forth between the two  ... and finally  the phone died on the reboot.

When I was rebuilding the phone, I decided not to use either of  the Unlock widgets - and, like I said, it has been stable for 24 hours. I did leave out a bunch of other apps that I did not really use either. I don't necessarily blame the Widgets, since it happened with both - but maybe not going through the initial swipe, and sometimes the unlock, was tieing up Sense resources ...

In  the week or two before the crash, after the 2.3 update, I had also  un-installed a bunch of apps I had hanging around, to free up memory. (I  have to admit, I don't understand the different CATEGORIES of memory  that Android has ...) And over the year or so I had the phone, I  installed a LOT of apps - and unstalled many - so maybe the fresh  rebuild just cleaned a bunch of other stuff out, and made for a more  stable system ...

If anyone wants to try this, and is interested in my experience,  and possible hints, on the phone rebuild process, let me know. It wasn't  bad - just unexpected, suddenly needing to do it Sunday night at 9PM. BTW, this was the first time I ever did this rebuild.

Dan

Highlighted
Journeyman

The reason for the fc is the new app management program built in to gingerbread, it is killing sense while it is pushed into the background when you use another app. Sprint and HTC had nothing to do with that one, Google made gingerbread that way. Sprint and HTC just put sense into the mix and GB cant seperate it from the regular apps, and since sense is tied into the radio recieving program, you loose connectivity.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well as you say Sprint and HTC put Sense into the mix, then it makes no sense that Srint and HTC put Sense into a mix that doesn't work.  In fact I would speculate that in was HTC that failed to use any sense and make sure its Sense program was working appropriately with Google's GB before they put us all in this sensless mess with its Sense program that does not work.

Try this thread:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/311456

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have been having this problem with Sense reloading ( white screen and green HTC) it is getting quite annoying. I thought it was the app killer that I have installed (to save battery) but when i go into the setting for that Sense is not even available for selecting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

TWISTED29 wrote:

I too have been having this problem with Sense reloading ( white screen and green HTC) it is getting quite annoying. I thought it was the app killer that I have installed (to save battery) but when i go into the setting for that Sense is not even available for selecting.

First, uninstall the app killer. It's a cancer on your phone and is doing the exact opposite of saving battery. If you have apps that are TRULY eating up extra juice, they're poorly coed and should be removed individually. Using another app to fix a poorly coded app just compounds the issue. All those other apps you see listed as runing that you never use or don't start yourself are just cached to memory, they're not eating up extra power, that is until you start closing them constantly with an app killer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm also having this issue on my EVO Shift as is my wife.  Totally frustrated with this phone now.  Worst thing I ever did was update it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been having this same problem on my Evo shift since the Gingerbread update.  You can see all the things I tried without improvement on the consolidation thread (link above).  Last night , I was fed up and installed Go Launcher EX (free app), which is essentially an alternative to Sense.  When I pressed the Home key after installing, it asked me what program I wanted to use for this action.  Instead of choosing Sense, I chose Go Launcher and selected the box below to make it my default choice.  I did have to completely redo the screens because I was starting from scratch.  You also can't use the HTC widgets with it (Android only).  But otherwise, I'm back to almost the same functionality as before the upgrade, just without Sense.  No more HTC splash screen and Sense reloading.  I did notice that things were slow and so I adjusted my Auto Memory Manager (free app) settings to those suggested by someone in the consolidation thread, restarted the phone, and it's been like having my old phone again.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am getting the same thing.  I hit the home or back key and it either goes to the HTC white/green screen or "is loading".  It is driving me insane.  It takes litterally 15 to 20 seconds to come back on.  GET THIS FIXED!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat