cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't download apps from web.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can't download apps from web.

Just got my new Evo and already I'm frustrated.  I dont like the browser, and I want to install Opera. So I go to the Opera site and click the download link. Instead of my download I get a page telling me to set up a Google account. Annoying, but OK, I have a Google account already. I'll just use that. But no! I enter my login info and I'm told my user name & password dont match. Did I forget my PW?  Just in case, I go to Google.com and reset the password. I can definitely log in. So I go back to Opera, click the download link, and it's the same thing all over again. Same thing if I try to download apps from any other non-Google, non-Sprint site: I cant get past the Google login page.  I have changed my settings to allow downloads from other sites, and I've rechecked that setting, so that's not the problem (unless it only seems to be allowed but really isn't).    So how can I get past that redirect to the Google log-in?  Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: Can't download apps from web.

Does it allow you to download from the market? Opera Mini is available in the market. Have you heard of the browser Dolphin HD? IT is what most of us are using.

As far as the Google issue, I believe it is asking you to set up/sign up with your Google Checkout account, It makes getting apps easier if you have an account set up.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=sierra&continue=https://checkout.google.com/mai...

Journeyman

I would suggest using the Android Market to search for and install Opera.

Journeyman

Thanks for the help.  I think my problem was that I was using the wrong Google account--I have a couple.  You get a new device and think all kinds of things are wrong with it, and mostly it's your own mistakes. ;0)

I'm still a little annoyed that Android makes me register with Google in order to download somebody else's app, but c'est la vie.

I did get Opera off of the Market, thanks.  Haven't tried Dolphin, but the reviewers I've read seem to like Opera better.  I'll try Dolphin out eventually.  Thanks again.

Message was edited by: jim.crutchfield

Journeyman

For the record, I tried Opera Mini 5 and didn't like it almost immediately because the multi-touch zooming was really clutzy.  Dolphin costs $$ (well, ¢¢¢, anyway), so haven't tried it.   Opera doesn't support iFrames, which is a very minor gripe (Android's browser doesn't either), but iPhone's browser does.

Master

Dolphin HD is FREE, They do have where you can purchase a license for $4.99, But it is just a "donation" to support the Dev. and is not required.

Journeyman

The best ways to download an app for your phone is directly "over the air" (OTA) to the phone, using the already-installed Android Market app, or the App Brain app if you have that installed (let's say you have just a stock EVO and haven't downloaded anything yet - in that case, use the Android Market from your phone.

In either Android Market or App Brain, you can search for an app with a known name by using the search feature - click on the magnifying glass icon, and type in the app name in the little box at the top of the screen, a list of similarly-named apps will appear.

If you are browsing with your computer, and you see a funny-looking square pattern (which is a kind of bar code) and you have a bar code scanner app installed (from the market . . . ), you can uise the bar code app to read the bar code with your phone, and it will open a page in the android market or elsewhere, from which the app can be downloaded straight OTA directly to your phone.

There are other methods of getting apps to the phone, but these are the easiest.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat