cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellular Repeater/Signal Strength

SOLVED
Journeyman

Cellular Repeater/Signal Strength

Does anyone know of a cellular repeater that operates on Sprint's frequency band that doesn't cost a fortune? My house is right on the edge of the Sprint network and holding calls can be difficult. Also open to any other ideas or suggestions.

11 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Cellular Repeater/Signal Strength

Call Sprint and get an Airave from them. I went from no bars to 4 bars,it works great

Message was edited by: 654mac

Highlighted
Journeyman

To clarify the first reply. Sprint is giving the Airaves away to customers with poor signal at their homes. Call soon.

Journeyman

I called Sprint and they have none available. I even tried going to a store and they had none either. Apparently they are not currently selling them. Customer service said that she had just got an email while we were talking that they no longer had any available.

Master

From what I have been told,

Effective: 9/10/10

• Sprint AIRAVE™ devices will be unavailable for purchase in all sales channels until 2011 and should not be offered as a solution to improve coverage.
Journeyman

That's good information to know. Has anyone heard of a spefic month they will be available again or why they are not carrying them until 2011. Usually they only shut supply off when a big change is coming or due to supply shortages.

Journeyman

My guess (hope?) is that they're planning to roll out a WiMax repeater in Q1 2011.  I've seen other people quoting pricing of $5 /mo to add the 3G repeaters to their homes. I can't attest to the accuracy or veracity of that information.  To my understanding, what I'm looking for here is a Sprint 4G WiMax repeater. So far as I know anything not authorized and installed by Sprint or Clearwire is most likely illegal and/or non functional.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I can't talk about specifications or release dates, but it's not WiMax, it's EVDO and it's not a repeater, it's a Femtocell.

Basically it acts like a mini cell tower in your house providing great coverage for about 50'.  It uses your existing high speed internet connection as backhaul to the Sprint phone network.

Journeyman

Not only are there several repeaters out there, most of them are not made or distributed by sprint or other cell carriers.That does not make them illegal or ineffective. I do know that you just have to make sure whatever repeater you buy matches up with the frequency of your carrier. The bad thing about these types of repeaters is the fact that they are usually expensive and they actually repeat signal. So, if you don't have any signal where you are, a repeater will not work for your application. The repeaters that Sprint and other carriers use piggybacks off of a wifi signal and require no cell tower to be in range.

Journeyman

Well then it's worthless to me, since:  1) My voice reception is already fine.  2) I have no wired internet access, that's why I need internet from my phone!  Honestly, this seems like a no-brainer, Denver already has some 4G coverage. Coverage could be expanded more rapidly (and with more customer satisfaction) if 4G repeaters were more readily available.