Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Texting Sound

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Changing Texting Sound

How do you change that gosh awful sound they have for your incoming text messages.  Can I use my music I have on my phone??

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Master

Re: Changing Texting Sound

Open the messaging app, Tap "Menu>Settings>Notification Sound", Have you checkde out ChompSMS or Handcent SMS from the market, THe are much better messaging apps then the stock one.

Journeyman

well the Handcent SMS or Chomp SMS doesnt have anything to do with changing the sound that your phone makes when an incoming text comes in, it only has something to do with adding features to your outgoing texts.

Master

I answered your question, And offered a couple of alternative apps that are more preferred by the mass over the stock app, They are more customizable.

Journeyman

Dont want to argue about it, but NO you didnt answer my original question which is .... asking you or anyone how you change the text sound and I wanted to know if I could use the music I have on my phone.  You said to change it via sound profile on my phone.  Guess you havent heard those sounds, they suck.  So I guess it is not possible to change the sound to some other different type using music instead of a dumbass ding or click.  Thanks anyways

Wizard

You are right. All the stock sounds are awful.

But if you follow loni49201 advice and install Handcent, you can have more choices using Handcent selection.

I turn the notification sound off.

Master

YES you can use your own sounds for it. Plug your phone in to your pc and create a folder named "Notifications" and drag/drop your sound files into it. (create a ringtone folder for ringtones, alarm folder for alarm sounds)

Download "Zedge" from the market and you can get sound files from it.

Here are some sites where you can get/upload/create your own ringtones/notifications/alarm sounds.

http://www.myxer.com/
http://www.funformobile.com/
http://www.zedge.net/
http://makeownringtone.com/
http://mobilereelz.com/

Journeyman

Thank you, you are a big help, but the procedure for connecting my phone to my PC is another problem in itself.  I have downloaded the new version to sync my phone to my computer , turned off my virus protection and installed it but keep getting an error message telling me that it wasnt installed correctly, unplug USB and try again, same results.  But I have been able to install my music to my phone using windows media, can I do the same with installing this new folder.  If so, after I get this folder on my phone, how do I change the texting sounds?  Or will this App Zedge do it for me without installing a folder?

Journeyman

Try "Ringdroid" from the Android Market.. it's free, and comes highly recommended from a number of online tech websites.

I actually had not used it until now (most of my ringtones I've already clipped and just transfered them off my old phone)  I was doing some online searching because there didn't seem to be a way to specify a notification sound other than what's listed, nor is there a way to copy a new .MP3 file into the notifications audio folder on the phone's system memory.

When you open Ringdroid, just select the file you want to use, trim if you need to, then save it.  You get the option to save as Music, Alarm, Notification, or Ringtone.  I saved my audio clip as a Notification, and it asked me if I would like to set it as my default notification.  Open up your Message App options though, as it did not have my new Notification sound selected, but it does show up in the list of sounds.  From there, just tap on your newly created Notification sound!

Have not tested but I'm going to assume it works... someone just needs to send me a text, and I have to say I'm pretty anxious to get my next one so I can hear my custom sound!

Hope this helps!

Journeyman

actually just doing a bit more research and putting faith into a few other suggestions, just creating a "Notifications" folder on your SD card works just fine... i'm kinda dumbfounded that it was THAT easy, but hey i shouldn't complain

on a side note, i found this thread again by posting my original post into Google Search... yeah, so within a few minutes of posting my response, Google had already indexed it... even more Google magic!

Journeyman

How do you create a Notifications folder on your SD Card?  I have my contacts from my PC on that card and I have no clue how to open it and download it to my phone let alone put a tone on it

Journeyman

OH Sorry Thanks for the help the Ringdroid App works great

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat