cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearwire Stabs Sprint in the Back with it's own HTC Android 4G Cell Phone

Journeyman

Clearwire Stabs Sprint in the Back with it's own HTC Android 4G Cell Phone

Now an even better reason for Sprint to release the Evo ASAP!!!! Looks like there is another HTC 4G phone going to be released soon on Clearwire -- not on Sprint -- wow - talk about competition!!

Looks to me like HTC really likes to "play the field."

(I also posted this on the HTC Evo Rumors and Buzz Thread)

From interview with Clearwire CEO Bill Morrow (5/7/10):

"There's been some talk about a 4G phone for Clearwire's network. Can you provide any more details?
We will be launching phones later this year from HTC and Samsung. And there will be others in 2011. The Samsung phone will be one of first to be designed for video communications. It will leverage the benefits of our low-latency network to offer better-quality video that can be used for video conferencing and other video applications. We're really excited about it. Both phones will be Google Android-based. So they'll have the same easy user interface and access to the Android Market for apps."

Click here for the article.

(I did change the name of this thread to better reflect what happened)

Message was edited by: cityw4

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Clearwire Stabs Sprint in the Back with it's own HTC Android 4G Cell Phone

One nice thing about the article mentioned above is that Clear is announcing that it will likely run both WiMax and LTE at the same time in the future so that the Evo and others will not brick on us when Clear switches to LTE.

But talk about backstabbing!  Sprint invests millions in Clearwire, leases use of their 4G network, comes out with the first HTC 4G phone, and before it is even released, Clearwire announces that Clear will have its own HTC Android 4G phone that will directly compete with Sprint!

Clear is out-Sprinting Sprint! Sprint got duped into creating their own competition, and HTC was more than happy to play both sides of the fence. And right before Clearwire spreads their network across the entire country.  Looks like we are seeing the birth of a new cellular service provider named Clear(and the first 4g).  No wonder Clearwire stock is worth double Sprint's.

This business is rough!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, I read that, too.

Sprint wins either way.  They own 51% of ClearWire.

Journeyman

As pointed out, Clearwire is half owned by Sprint and the 3G usage will be on Sprint's network...  It'll be like any other wholesale provider....

Journeyman

Interesting! I didn't know Sprint was majority shareholder of Clearwire.  Hmmmm.  That makes me wonder even more if Clear's HTC Android 4G phone will simply be the Evo?  Also, what does it say about the Evo that Clear's Samsung Android Phone will be the first specifically designed for video communication? Does that mean the Evo will not be so good at video conferencing despite the forward facing camera that is presumably designed for this purpose? This raises a lot of questions.

Journeyman

Looks like Comcast is tied up with Sprint and Clearwire as well.

Journeyman

All of these companies are in the same bed sharing each other's innards.

Sprint, Comcast, Intel, Time Warner, Google and BrightHouse.

Journeyman

I am glad to see that Google is a "partner" of Clearwire -- because I am hoping that means they will be invested in Android updates to 4G phones ... such as Android 2.2 for the Evo?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat