Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerns with EVO and Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Concerns with EVO and Sprint

First of all - Greetings

I am a current Blackberry owner who will be making a move to Android (and Sprint) as I pre-ordered the EVO 4G at RS a few days ago.

While I am excited about what the EVO can do, I also have concerns about Sprint and their plans regarding the EVO.

While this has been discussed so much already and there is probably no reason to discuss it further in this post - I must say that right off the bat I am leary of Sprints intentions regarding the $10 "premium data" charge. I live in a non 4G area and will probably never see 4G during the lifetime of this phone.  Now that this is out of the way... my real concerns:

Future Updates:

Sprint is charging $30 for the mobile hotspot feature.  Android 2.2 (Froyo) is reported to have mobile hotspot capability built in.  If 2.2 is counter-lucrative for Sprint, which it looks like it will be - do any of you feel that Sprint might actually work to keep a 2.2 update from coming to the EVO?  I hope I'm only being paranoid, but it would be a shame to miss out on the benefits of FroYo because it might circumvent their $30 charge.

Rooting / ROMS:

I know that one shortcut to OS updates and wifi tethering is to gain root access and install custom roms of newer OS versions.  Since rooting would open up the ability to tether, would Sprint take extra measures to block the ability to root?  Would the EVO be harder to produce custom roms for because of its features that arent prevalent on other android phones or because of it's WiMax capabilities?  I really am a newbie when it comes to this, so please don't bash if I sound uneducated in this area.

I really hope that I don't come off as Sprint / EVO bashing, as I have pre-ordered and the Evo IS my future phone and Sprint IS my future provider.  These are just a couple things that have been on my mind and I would like some other customer's opinions.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to being a part of this community!

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Concerns with EVO and Sprint

I see no activity on this thread... has this not been on anyone else's mind?  I value everyone's opinion on this.

Highlighted
Wizard

The view count tells you how many time your discussion was opened.

May be your concerns are discussed in other threads

The $10 charges is to remove the 5GB data cap and make unlimited on 3G/4G

$30 for the mobile hotspot feature: business as usual, Sprint need to recoup the development cost, I think

Just my 2 cents

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the input M.Marcus!  Someone else posted a thread about a rep telling them that a new email says $10 might cover the hotspot feature as well.  To be honest, I would be pretty surprised if that came to pass (I would be very happy though).  This could be a way for Sprint to better justify the mandatory $10 charge and defuse any future problem with an update unlocking the hotspot capability.

Just throwing out thoughts there but I do appreciate the input.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If/when  the Android ROM community is able to root this device, you will almost certainly be seeing the ability to tether without purchasing the $30 add-on. But if you do so, and use large amounts of data, Sprint will definitely catch onto this and warn you/shut off your service/etc.

Android 2.2 is a different issue. Even though the new version of the operating system will have tethering enabled by default, Sprint will be able to deactivate this for their devices (look at how much customization/restriction AT&T does to their Android devices). So there will be no issues, aside from development/customiztion by Sprint, with having the new version of Android on this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think that if Sprint wants to make a big impact on the market and grab some market share from AT&T and the iPhone, they should offer the Simply Everything to include, simply everything.  The $10 add-on still makes it the best deal out there and with the hot spot feature, well that ices the cake now doesn't it?  What are AT&T and Verizon going to do with that? 

Make the offer good for 90 days from release as Sprint will have exclusivity with the Evo 4G for that long at least. 

What do you think?

Highlighted
Journeyman

That would be really nice if they did that. But as of now, the hotspot is $29.99/month for up to eight devices.  We can cross our fingers, though, to have some sort of deal for the first X months of that add-on.

Journeyman

Future Updates:

Sprint is charging $30 for the mobile hotspot feature.  Android 2.2 (Froyo) is reported to have mobile hotspot capability built in.  If 2.2 is counter-lucrative for Sprint, which it looks like it will be - do any of you feel that Sprint might actually work to keep a 2.2 update from coming to the EVO?  I hope I'm only being paranoid, but it would be a shame to miss out on the benefits of FroYo because it might circumvent their $30 charge.

THERE IS NO NETWORK... that will offer that feature for free. It wouldnt make any sense what so ever. The only reason the hotspot is free on VZW is because its only on ONE PHONE the Palm Pre... And the only reason they were giving that, was because Palm was on the brink of going out of business and the Pre was basically on a Fire Sale EVERYWHERE... and they wanted to make sure they SOLD and didn't just sit there.

Any new ANdroid phone that has FROYO will either have that feature disabled by the network on a phone by phone basis, or they will charge you for it just like Sprint is doing. It would be too much of a load on their networks for absolutely nothing in return.

Highlighted
Wizard

I am sure they are reading all of our comments here and will come up with something

Highlighted
Journeyman

These are the kinds of comments I was looking for when starting this.  I actually *HOPE* that Sprint would release Froyo modified to suppress free tethering before they would try to suppress Froyo all together.  I am not looking for a way to circumbent their $30 charge because tethering isn't that big a deal to me.  I just want to make sure OS updates continue to come to the phone.  Keep in mind, I have never dealt with Sprint before.

Also, I suppose that if it came to it - yes, rooting is always an option as long as there are devs out there willing to put in work on custom roms for this phone.

I believe this phone is going to be a tech marvel and I just don't want to see it crippled over anything silly.

Highlighted
Wizard

I used many Sprint phones over the years and never had a problem doing what I want with my phone.

They usually don't cripple the phone.

It's too early to worry about Froyo

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree. I'm guessing all they would do is put on the HTC Sense interface and turn off the tethering unless you buy the plan. I wouldn't call that crippling at all given everything else you will be able to do compared to most phones with a much more closed operating system.

M.Marcus wrote:

I used many Sprint phones over the years and never had a problem doing what I want with my phone.

They usually don't cripple the phone.

It's too early to worry about Froyo

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat