cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Sprint: Listen to your base! Drop $10/month charge

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear Sprint: Listen to your base! Drop $10/month charge

Dear sprint reps that are reading this, please pass the word up your management structure that you are pissing off your customer base by introducing a $10 a month charge just to use the HTC Evo. As far as I have been told, the charge is to upgrade the entire network to 4G. If that is the case, why is it that only Evo users get hit with the charge? Shouldn't the charge be network wide and added to the cost of the plan? That would make sense though!

It's a shame, Sprint was actually starting going to keep me with the Evo and the promise of 4G, but an extra $10 a month makes it unaffordable to me (The $10 really turns into $13.73 with Federal, State, and Local taxes factored in).

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: Dear Sprint: Listen to your base! Drop $10/month charge

chrhas wrote:

Dear sprint reps that are reading this, please pass the word up your management structure that you are ..... your customer base by introducing a $10 a month charge just to use the HTC Evo. As far as I have been told, the charge is to upgrade the entire network to 4G. If that is the case, why is it that only Evo users get hit with the charge? Shouldn't the charge be network wide and added to the cost of the plan? That would make sense though!

It's a shame, Sprint was actually starting going to keep me with the Evo and the promise of 4G, but an extra $10 a month makes it unaffordable to me (The $10 really turns into $13.73 with Federal, State, and Local taxes factored in).

Please explain how, if Sprint were to do as you suggest and add the fee network-wide, it would be affordable for you when it would not be if the same fee were EVO-specific?  And if the fee makes it unaffordable to you, where will you get smart phone service for less money?

Journeyman

sprint would be stupid to charge everyone a fee to build up there 4g network because that would be a change in contract and everyone that was fed up with sprint and there service could leave early without having to pay the etf.  that being said i think it is stupid to have to pay extra $10 a month for the right to use your phone because all of the stuff they are saying provide a rich media and data experience has to due with the hardware. does a 4.3" screen require data usage nope, does a 1ghz snapdragon processor require data usage nope, does a camera nope.  so sprint is just trying to bleed more money out of customers.  just wait soon they will start doing it to all smart phones.

Journeyman

Pretty sure that since it is a fee and not part of the plan that sprint could get away with it. But that's besides the point. I want equality, not biased charges for a service I won't get to use any time soon

Journeyman

If the "Premium Data" charge is not for the 3G nor 4G network access and  the charge is for the phone features, why is it that all of the "Premium Data" features are listed as technical specifications of the HTC EVO 4G phone?  If I were to take this phone to a non-Sprint area, such as the south pole, would those "Premium Data" features work, such as the 4.3" screen, HD Camera/Camcorder, faster processor, and even kickstand?  Would I be able to use these features in Airplane mode?  If I can use those in a non-Sprint area or in Airplane mode, why must I pay $10 a month to use this "add-on" when I'm not using Sprint's data network?

http://explainthefee.com

Message was edited by: briangiglio

Journeyman

Never said it would be more affordable, but at the very least it would be fairer.

Wizard

chrhas wrote:

Pretty sure that since it is a fee and not part of the plan that sprint could get away with it. But that's besides the point. I want equality, not biased charges for a service I won't get to use any time soon

So when you said that "an extra $10 a month makes it unaffordable to me" what you really meant was "I don't think it is being charged equally, it isn't fair, and I just don't want to pay it unless EVERYBODY has to"?

If you kept your old phone and service and Sprint raised your rates (and everybody else's) by $10, I suppose you would have no complaint, right?

Journeyman

They change our fees already (See http://text.dslreports.com/shownews/Sprint-Increases-Several-Fees-105928)

If I have to pay $79.99 + taxes and fees, I will not get the phone and will probably switch to a cheaper service that will give me unlimited everything for $40 a month. That aside, I would be much happier if the fee were spread out and not limited to Evo users. What constitutes "Premium Data" anyway? All data is is 1's and 0's.

Wizard

chrhas wrote:

They change our fees already (See http://text.dslreports.com/shownews/Sprint-Increases-Several-Fees-105928)

If I have to pay $79.99 + taxes and fees, I will not get the phone and will probably switch to a cheaper service that will give me unlimited everything for $40 a month. That aside, I would be much happier if the fee were spread out and not limited to Evo users. What constitutes "Premium Data" anyway? All data is is 1's and 0's.

You do realize that you linked a post from December of last year, regarding a 20 cents per month increase?

Please tell all of us where we can get unlimited everything for $40 per month.

Journeyman

Yes, I know when it was posted and I know how much it was. It was just to show that fees are increased. If you spread the cost of upgrades out across your entire user base you can make the same amount of money and charge each user less per month.

And you can get unlimited everything for $40/month including taxes/fees from Metro PCS.

Message was edited by: IzzyKS

Wizard

chrhas wrote:

Yes, I know when it was posted and I know how much it was. It was just to show that fees are increased. If you spread the cost of upgrades out across your entire user base you can make the same amount of money and charge each user less per month.

And you can get unlimited everything for $40/month including taxes/fees from Metro PCS.

You had me interested in your $40 unlimited everything plan, until I spent a couple minutes checking it out.  First, Metro PCS has no coverage at all in my area, a major metropolitan area.  Their coverage is ridiculously sparse.  Second, the Metro PCS devices available are very few...they have two smartphones, one of which runs a proprietary OS and does not even have EVDO rev A.  The other runs Windows Mobile 6.1 and I didn't even look at its specs.  Third, the smartphone plans are $50 per month, and $.19 per minute for roaming calls...and as I said, the coverage map is terrible.  Wait a minute...they charge $10 more per month for smartphones!  How could you POSSIBLY recommend such an illegal and immoral company?  Did you demand a justification for the extra charge?  What did they tell you to attempt to justify this outrageous fee?

Message was edited by: IzzyKS

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat