cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Class 6 32GB Micro SD card exist?

SOLVED
Journeyman

Re: Does a Class 6 32GB Micro SD card exist?

i was a radio shack today and they had a 16 gig card for 60 bucks... cheapest you gonna find at a retailer

Journeyman

Go big or go home, right? I figure if i'm going to sink $200 bucks initially and then 80 more dollars of my hard earned money every month into this thing, i'm going to get the best possible experience out of it that i can.

Journeyman

I called Sandisk and they told me they were only going to produce class 2 32gb microSD cards, at this time. The person I spoke to stated that they would evaluate the market demand in the future to see about offering the 32gb microSD card in a faster class. But, no, they are NOT making a faster one at this time. He also stated to watch the Sandisk website for updates.

BTW, Samsung is ALSO working on the 32gb microSD card. They announced it back in January. Once it is available then the Sandisk ones may drop enough in price for me to pick one up.

Journeyman

The reason for a class 6 card on the Evo is HD Video recording.  Video is choppy on my stock class 2 8gb microsd card that came with the device, because it cant handle the bitrate the hd video is writing to it.  bought a 16 gb class 6 off of new egg (transcend) for 62 bucks and it is smooth as silk now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I asked this question myself with HTC and got a very quick response.  My main concern was whether the phone would work with a higher class so I asked which classes of card it supports (2/4/6/10).  I have pasted their reply below.

In my opinion, class 6/10 are only really required if you're shooting high speed SLR or high definition video at 60+ frames per second.  Since the bit rate of the cameras on the Evo is so low, a class 4 would probably be fine.  The only other time you'll notice a difference is if you're loading the thing up to capacity with music or whatever.  The playback experience on the device will be the same with a class2 vs class 10, the difference would be how long you'd be twiddling your fingers waiting while you load the card.  For my money, class 4 is a decent compromise for this application, so their recommendation sounds reasonable to me.

Edit:  I just read the last post and I suppose I stand corrected.  Perhaps the bit rate is high enough to make a difference.  I'm curious to hear more from folks that have successfully used a class 6/10 including the make & model of card you used, how long you've been using it, and crashes/instability, etc..

<<< Email from HTC representative follows >>>

HTC_logo_tag.gif

Dear [name removed],

I understand you want to know which speed is the best for your device as far as SD card is concerned. We have tested the devices on a class 4 speed. I could not recommend anything higher than that. The phone may be capable of running a higher-class speed, but we have only tested it on a class 4.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number [removed].

Sincerely,

Nicole

HTC

Message was edited by: Trogdor

Message was edited by: Trogdor

Journeyman

I purchased a 32GB Sandisk Class 2 and it does NOT work well with my EVO. It keep getting SD card errors. It does mount and it does work but has regular intermittent problem to where it is not usable. Not sure if it is a problem with this particular disk or not. I put the original 8GB card back in and everything works again.

Journeyman

You should get better performance on your class 2 card than that. Test it on your PC with this tool. Are you sure it is genuine? There are a lot of fakes on the market.

Journeyman

When I got my Hero, I replaced the 2gb Class 2 with a Trancend 8gb class 6.  Worked fine.  I moved that over to the EVO in leiu of the Class 2 that came stock.

I'm sure both would have worked fine.  I'm not having any problems with my c6.

Journeyman

I tried 3 different 32gb class 2* cards and got the same results, LOTS OF DATA CORRUPTION. Called  HTC and they said in there tests that the HTC EVO didn't support 32gb SDHC card and they also had corruption.

Today I plan to try a 16gb class 4 and see how that works.

So far the class 4 16gb card is working fine, have not tried to add a lot of files (that's where the 32gb stats corrupting files)

* 2 Kingston and one Sandisk.

Message was edited by: 0cdonjenkins

Journeyman

Are these authentic 32gb cards you are using? Maybe that is why they are not working. Where did you get them? Kingston does not even list a 32gb card on their site.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.