cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your phone freeze when you try to delete long text conversations?

Highlighted
Patron

Does your phone freeze when you try to delete long text conversations?

Whenever I try to delete a thread thats really long it looks like my phone is taking the time to delete it (about 5 minutes literally or more) and in the end it just ends up force closing usually or I'll just get impatient and restart my phone.  And sometimes, if I'm lucky, I have to restart it again because none of my texts show up in my inbox, even though they are there, so I have to yet again restart it so they appear.  So I just want to know if anyone else has this same problem or if there is an easier way of deleting my threads.  Please keep in mind that the threads are probably 500+, I text a lot,

four days into the billing cycle and I'm almost at 2,500 texts.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Does your phone freeze when you try to delete long text conversations?

I have not had this problem on the EVO, however I have had this problem on other android handsets.  With conversations over 1K texts it would look like the system would lock, and sometimes, yes, it would force close.  They will eventually delete.  Using a 3rd party application may fix the issue though I've never really tested it.

Patron

Unfortunatly my Evo is having this problem.  I understand that it will take a little longer to delete a long thread of text messages but even on my previous phone (HTC Touch Diamond) it took less than a minute.  The idea of a using an application doesn't sound so bad either, so if anyone knows of any can you please let me know? Thanks.

Journeyman

Handcent seems to be the most popular, but you can check whatever else is out there and read user reviews.  Let us know if that helps.

Journeyman

Yeah my Hero does that, I can't ever delete these messages unless I wanted to do one at a time. (2300+) < one contact

Haven't had that many texts on my Evo to try yet, but it's obviously having problems alocating memory to perform the operation.

They should just loop a single delete and go from oldest to new, if they interupt it wouldn't ruin any current conversations at hand with the same contact.

Journeyman

YESSS!!! My HTC EVO has been doing that since forever - I keep hoping an update will fix, but it hasn't. I have text message threads in my phone from  the launch date. This phone, and the Palm Pre both burned me because I hate them so much for a multitude of small reasons that outweigh how the phone performs over all.

Journeyman

That's cause it's trying to allocate enough memory to dump them all together.

The simple fix is to loop it deleting single texts, but aparently that's too hard.

Anyone who's tried to open very large text documents on a computer and was told "Cannot allocate memory" knows what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately you could only delete them one at a time for the time being, provided that you want to keep the rest of your inbox SMS messages.

Journeyman

Dont know if you figured it out yet or not, but i downloaded Handcent and clicked on Force Delete and it deleted the thread text by text. I had the same problem as you, and im currently running the APP now. 

Journeyman

i thought i had the same problem so i just left my phone alone. after about 1 full hour it was finally done. i belive it was like 6000 messages. now i just limit it to delete anything over 20 messages in one convo.

I am not too familiar with any third party apps as well but I find that if you were to delete a thread once you get to about a 100 to 150, it will not freeze up instead of waiting when you have alot in the thread.

Master

There's an app in the Market, "Delete Old Messages" by JADS Limited. It will delete your old messages without locking up the phone.

Journeyman

hello what was the 3rd party application that would help?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat