cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO 4G Keeps Turning off and on..OR just won't turn back on

Highlighted
Patron

EVO 4G Keeps Turning off and on..OR just won't turn back on

I have been having this problem for about a few months. Phone just decides to turn off and then on, then off, and on...over and over. Then lately, it decides it just won't turn on for awhile. I am a business person and my phone is my LIFE...I can't afford to have it doing this constantly. I have already gone to the repair Center and they did the clear storage, it helped for about a week and I am right back to the same crap...and now worse. Thing is, I even stopped downloading programs and only have ONE email account on it, as I thought it must have been overloaded. This is ridiculous!! Can anyone help me figure this out or am I just gonna have to get a new phone, which in turn will cost ME money...ugh...not happy...

7 REPLIES 7
Wizard

Re: EVO 4G Keeps Turning off and on..OR just won't turn back on

MELHOP03,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues. When you went into a repair store, do you know if it was a corporate repair location? I know we have a known issue related to a small group of EVO 4G's power cycling under heavy CPU activity/loads, but in order to find out if your device is being effected by this issue we have to run a test in a corporate repair location. If a hard reset or clear storage was performed on it normally that rules out the possibility of it being software related. After the clear storage was performed did you install ANY new application or software, I know you stated you stopped downloading programs but was that after the restarting issue started occurring again? If you didn't add any new software or make any changes that's a good indication it may be hardware or battery related, if you have total equipment protection we can definitely look into getting your device replaced as long as it meets the criteria i.e. no liquid damage etc.

Journeyman

I updated the PRL on my phone. After I restarted my phone.It turns on to the white screen that says HTC Evo 4G..Then it goes to the Sprint now 4G screen stays there for a few seconds then shuts off and does it again. Thats all it does, I can't even get to the home screen.

Journeyman

I'm having the exact same problem.  Did you ever get this resolved?

Journeyman

Yes, since I could't get to my home screen.I took the phone in to a corp Sprint location and they proformed a hard restart for me. Just take the battery out for a few seconds,put it back in, then hold down the Power button and the UP Volume button until a menu screen pops up. Use the Volume button to scroll down,highlight CLEAR STORAGE ,and use the power button to select it. It will cycle and restart and fix your problem.. 

Journeyman

Will this delete all the data saved on the phone, sd card, or both?  I have contacts backed up on lookout, but not my calendar, which is the second most important thing to me on the phone!

Journeyman

This will delete anything you have saved on your phone,Not your SD card.... I have all my contacts and calender events stored on my gmail account..So once my phone reset and I synced it back up to my gmail everything was restored.. Also with google play app store even though all apps were removed from your phone.after your phone has restarted. Go to Google play under "My apps" Scroll over to the right and it will have the history of every app you've ever installed on your phone before. Just select the ones you want to reinstall.

Patron

This has happened to me too!! Today it really almost made me go drop my phone off at a Sprint store and say "take it and screw". I went to a store I've never been to and charged it the whole way. I was getting out of my car and it shut off. I couldn't get it back on!!! I had a time limit because I had to get my 8 year old off the school bus. So I didn't have clock and had to keep asking people the time. I figured if I put it on the charger it would go back on for the gps to get me home. Well, I was wrong I plugged it in, took out the battery....nothing. I had no idea how to get home and no way to call anyone to ask for directions or to ask someone to get my daughter. I had to ask for directions and find a pay phone to call my 80 year old grandmother to get my daughter. I can't buy a phone for $500 and a quick "fix" isn't an option for me. I really need to figure out what to do!! Getting stuck with no phone in a place I don't know isn't something I want to happen again!!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat