cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help

Master

Re: EVO 4G charging port broken with TEP but no help

Yes, we all can agree that the charging port on the HTC EVO original may not be as "robust" as other phones, but many EVO owners are using their phones just fine without charging port issues.  Larry mentioned an ebay repair alternative earlier in this post and there's also switching to a stand-alone battery charger.  We sell the EVO battery charger for only $14.99 and amazon.com sells batteries compatible with HTC devices for less than $10. 

Tom

Journeyman

Come to the sprint store in temecula....

They have the best techs...  they would of replaced you phone for no charge and they have the power to order you a brand new one minus the battery... and they let me hold onto the old phone and trade the phone in when the phone came into the store for pick up!!

Those other sprint stores.. are probobly trying to save the company money because there store doesnt get enough customers... Here in temecula Ca the sprint stores always busy...

Sprint Employee

Hello Rahstyles, I'm glad that you are pleased by the service in the Temecula, CA store. It is important to point out that every store will evaluate, repair, and replace phones on a case by case basis, and may not replace/repair every phone that comes into the store for varied reasons.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, it's nice to see Sprint Reps towing the line for the company rather than the customer. Basically two of you state that it's the customer's fault for the faulty USB port. Yet at the same time you acknowledge the problem but offer nothing to offset the cost. What keeps Sprint from telling it's technicians that anytime an EVO phone comes in with this problem, you will look at the phone and inform said customer that the phone is unrepairable and you will have to come out of pocket to pay a deductible for a replacement phone. Just how is this technician going to determine that it's the customer's fault and not a faulty problem with the phone itself. Once again Sprint gives yet another shining example of that it doesn't want it's customers. First Sprint lies about the 4G WiMax coverage in when it would be available, so that they can sell 4G phones to customers, knowing the 4G was NOT going to be avialable in that area. Now Sprint comes out with a Network Vision Plan introducing 4G LTE, which the coverage for will be in the same areas it's 4G WiMax coverage. And the excuse that is used, it's not cost effective to provide 4G LTE to all of our customers, so those of you that won't be getting any type of 4G network, just need to suck it up. And now Sprint shows it's "#1 in Customer Service" by blaming it's customers for a known fault in the mini USB port in the EVO phones. My contract with you guys couldn't end soon enough. Sprint customers do NOT get the service that we pay for.

Sprint Employee

I feel that you may missed the point of my responses. I was reminding people that there are two very different situations here.  The first being the very well known, and documented manufacturing error which affected a very minute portion of all Evo 4g, which the store is able to consider as an "in warranty replacement" provided no physical damage exists. The second being port is bent / separated from board, and not showing signs of manufacturing error, which will be considered physical damage. These two distinct problems are readily apparent upon inspection. Thank you, Chris

Journeyman

The sprint employee didn't even look at the [...]phone and I had the same issue. He blamed it on me and said it was my fault it separated. The employee then told me to make a claim.[..]. If a customer service employee doesn't help me here within the next few days I am done with Sprint and it's horrible laggy service with poor customer support

Message was edited by: mapesy

Sprint Employee

Please send me a private message, I will gladly help you.

Journeyman

I am currently having the same issue.  My phone has not been dropped or damaged yet my charging port has malfunctioned.  I took it to my Sprint Store, after I had called them and they said it is a very common issue with the Evo 4G and it will be repaiared or replaced at no cost to me because I do carry the insurance, only to have them take two seconds to look at my phone and say "There is nothing we can do, you have to file a claim and pay the deductible." I even went as far as beginning a claim and was told by Asurion that Sprint Repair Center can take care of this issue and there is no need for me to go through them.  How can the repair center even know if it can be fixed or not without looking inside the phone at the board, etc?

Journeyman

How can the customer be held liable for physical damage to the USB port or charging port if it is bent or separated from the board, or if it simply stops taking a charge? How could this said "damage" possibly be the fault of the owner? I have spent the last hour reading numerous reports about the same exact issue with the EVO 4G and you are claiming that it's some sort of coincidence and couldn't possibly be a defect with the construction or design of this phone? That, in my opinion is an absurd claim.

I am having this issue with my phone, to no fault of mine, and I am getting nowhere with these so called "customer service" people because my warranty has expired. This is also extremely ridiculous because  a) I have had issues with this piece of crap phone pretty much since day one, and b) it seems as though this phone is essentially built to break conveniently just after warranty expires. This whole set up seems like a scam to me. The fact that I am having multiple software issues (which my boyfriend recently got his phone replaced for free of charge) seems to be irrelevant to every person I have spoken to because of this so called "physical damage" that is the charge port.

I am at my wits end at this point and the answers that the sprint rep gives on this forum are useless and ridiculous. I feel like I am being robbed blind by sprint because I paid an obscene amount of money for this phone and pay a large phone bill every month, including insurance, yet I am somehow unable to have my phone replaced without paying a $100 deductible. Bottom line, I hate sprint and this stupid phone!!

Journeyman

EDIT: I just noticed this was under the EVO 4G section, but being that its talking about the port on the phone, and I had the same issue, but different model of phone, am not sure if this would be considered posted in the wrong section, if it is please move accordingly, or notify me and I will repost in appropriate location

I had a similar situation with the charger port on my EVO 3d. I went to the Junction City, KS store, spoke with a younger lady there, I find it hard to believe that she actually worked there. she didn't even bother listening to me completely, looked at the phone insulted my intelligence by asking me if I plugged the charger in backwards, when I told her no, she told me to file a claim, I repeated the part I just told her that I just got my phone back after filling a claim for a lost phone. (I had an excellent phone with no issues, got a refurbished one back, the port was a little off center but I didn't think much of it, figured if it was sent by asurion, it must be ok cause surely they wouldn't send junk out to people.) she shrugged her shoulders and repeated "File a claim" I looked at her for a second, being dumbfounded by this complete lack of customer service. she picked up on that part at least and then went and asked a tech in the repair section "If a charger port is physically damaged they need to file a claim right?" tech replies back (again with out looking at phone or hearing situation, while in the middle of working on someone else's phone im sure he didnt want to stop in the middle of a job to listen which I can relate to and understand) Yes, they need to file a claim. she walks back up to me, and stares, keeping my phone down by her side. I look at her and said "Ok" in a neutral voice doing my best to hide my aggravation at this point. stand there a second where she still has my phone in her hand at her side. I actually had to reach for my phone, at which point she jerked her hand back, I slung my hand forward faster to catch my phone, and had to literally PULL it from her hand. If the store wont fix a mess up in the phone the least they could do is just give the phone back I shouldn't have to both literally and figuratively fight for my phone. I called Asurion, and after explaining the situation, and waiting forever to get a hold of a supervisor, Finally have a phone on its way to me, replace my junk phone.

TO SPRINT SUPPORT PERSONNEL/EMPLOYEES...

Is there anywhere I can file anything like a customer comment card or anything to let whoever is in charge of that store know of the poor customer service? I was stationed at Ft. Riley and went there many times in the past and was amazed and in disbelief of the amazing customer service there. even if I was told no, I was expecting to be politely told no instead of basically slapped in the face?

aside from this issue, Sprint has been an outstanding service provider to me and I have managed to convince others to switch from their providers to sprint. but if this is the new course sprint is going, I may be looking to go elsewhere. I guess only time will tell

Sprint Employee

Hello Will_H1234, I’m sorry to read about the ordeal you’ve endured, I agree it would have been best handled by asking that you contact Asurion because they handle the 1 year warranty for devices that they send out. I will gladly pass along your feedback about how you were treated in the store, please send me a private message. Thank you, Chris.

Sprint Employee

Generally speaking they would only be able to make this determination if the port exhibits signs of physical damage such as the port is bent, or misshapen, also if the liquid damage indicators have been activated, or phone shows other signs of physical damage this will prevent the store tech from replacing/repairing the phone under warranty.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat