cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO Battery life and temp

Highlighted
Journeyman

EVO Battery life and temp

Ok so I have been on the android forums and quite frankly I am not patient enough to go through pages of complaints without answers, or trying to decipher where the answers are, so I figured I would post here. So ever sense I have owned my evo, to have it last longer than 6 hours on any day is amazing. I am not using data, all the facebook updates are turned off, I hardly go on the internet (except to look at my facebook every couple of hours since I turned autosync and notifiactions off), I maybe talk for a grand total of 30-45 mins during this time, and send a dozen texts. I have 4g off, bluetooth off, wifi off, location off and my fully charged battery is dead by 2 in the afternoon. Usually I am on the phone in my car connected to my car charger because otherwise I won't make it to lunch with a charge. I am running the app killer program to, to help conserve battery...answers???

I addition to all of that my phone gets hot...not warm but hot...when it is plugged in, either the computer, the wall, or the car. When I talk on it, when it is in my pocket, pretty much all of the time. I took it back to the store and they keep trying to tell me it is because I put the body protector on it(the clear thin one to stop scratches...). They say well maybe it can't breathe...whatever...so finally I found someone very helpful who ordered a new phone for me, but of course they are on back order. Well in the mean time is there anything I can do to save my battery?

Does anyone else have a problem with their phone randomly resetting, is there anything to stop it from happening?

Message was edited by: jimgissy

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: EVO Battery life and temp

jimgissy

If you find a resolution, please inform me.  Other than the getting hot situation, my

phone has the same symptoms and usage situations, and it's more than irritating, specially

when I only had to charge my BB every other day.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The solution was to bring the phone back. That is exactly what I did, and they gave me a new one. If they don't you can just return it, you have 30 days. The new one works perfect...only get about 16 hrs before a charge is necessary but I live in an area that is not 3G most of the time and my phone is always roaming, so I imagine that it would last a bit longer than that in a 3G network...much better performance though with the new one. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

You get 16hrs? I unplug mine at 9am and it is practically dead by 12pm. I have done everything to try and save battery, but nothing seems to have much of a difference.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been running some battery life tests on mine so far, and with moderate usage (checking e-mails on an interval of 15 minutes, 1 - 2 short calls per hour, replying to text messages) and some small tweaks, (google talk logged out of, a task killer that kills all but the ignored apps on screen timeout, 4g, wifi, GPS, bluetooth off) I consistently get 10 - 15 hours of charge time out of it.  Of course those with higher usage will probably run down the battery faster, but if you aren't getting 8 hours out of it, then you are probably running everything at the stock settings.

My battery also gets pretty hot during charging,  my other android phones by HTC did similar,  I don't think that is really a major issue.  I guess it depends on your definition of warm and hot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I suggest returning your phone if it has terrible battery life.  That is what I am going to do today with my wife's EVO.  Both my wife and I have the EVO and she has complained about battery life since day 1.  My phone on the other hand easily lasts all day.  I installed App killer on her phone and optimized all of her settings based on the tips.  Our phones are now nearly identical.  Last night I did a test.  Both phones were fully charged, I killed all the apps on both phones, turned off all the radios, and let both of them sit over night.  By morning my battery had barely drained at all, and her phone was completely dead.  (This was after we had switched our batteries, so I know it is not a battery issue).  Clearly there is something going on with her phone that is draining the battery even during sleep modes, and even with all of the tips I have read about battery life, I can't make it operate at the same standards my phone is.

There has to be some kind of bug that only effects some of the phones, so if you are having very poor battery life, I suggest getting your phone replaced.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure if it applies to anyone here but I was suddenly experiencing EXTREMELY poor battery life and the device getting really really hot.   Phone battery was complete dead within 4 hours.    After 3-4 days of this I finally found the problem..  During the course of "playing" with the phone I had taken a video that I was attempting to email to someone.    Since the email never went through, I never thought about it again.    Then finally after turning off 3G for a period of time on the phone and a couple of reboots with 3G off I finally got an error message that the email couldn't be sent.   So for several days, 24/7 my phone was attempting to send this large email and obviously failing but wasn't erroring.     Sounds like poor error handling on the part of Android 2.1.    Check if your 3G arrows are lit up continuously even if you aren't browsing the internet.   They should only be on periodically for a couple of seconds as it sync mail and etc.     If the 3G arrows stay lit up for long periods then you probably are experiencing a similar issue as I did so turn off the 3G network for a while (using only the phone mode), reboot it a couple of times and that should hopefully break the connection to whatever should have errored but didn't.    Please note...  I had rebooted my phone a number of times over the course of the 3-4 days, even leaving it off for a while and that didn't fix my issue.  It wasn't until I turned off the 3G network that it finally fixed it.    Now, my battery lasts all day without a recharge even with me checking personal and work email and facebook.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How do you turn off the 3G?  I have the arrows on fully all the time and I think that is the issue...help!

Highlighted
Master

If your data arrows are continuously blinking that is wherre your problem probably is. The solution isn't turning off 3G, the solution is to find out what is causing the continuous data usage (like the email that wasn't sending for the other person). You can try turning off the Mobile Network and seeing if you get an error from an app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I actually turned my phone off and back on and now the 3g arrows are off.  I hope that is my problem.  We have been having serious battery issues and I hope this is why....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, you do have to find out what is causing it if data is continuously on, in my case the only way to determine that was to turn off the 3G for a period of time to allow the app to error and then clear it.   

To turn off 3G you go to Menu, Settings, Wireless and Networks, and Uncheck Mobile Network.    This can also help troubleshoot for those having the battery issues whether it is something with the internet connection causing the issue.     There are some dud Evo's out there I have no doubt as a certain percentage of every manufactured product has that issue.    Others are a victum of playing around with the nifty cool wow features only to have one cause an issue and blaming the whole phone for it.   I am hoping Android 2.2 fixes some of the error handling.

Highlighted
Journeyman

well my evo today i have a task killer and there was nothing that wasnt neccesary running and my phone just got hott in my pocket and just destroyed the batter life within about an hour.... i have no idea why didnt happen during the first week of ownership now just started happening...tried taking off htc live background to improve the batter helped a little bit but still keeps getting hot not sure why..

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat