cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO Headphone jack is defective, should be recall worthy

Highlighted
Journeyman

EVO Headphone jack is defective, should be recall worthy

Many EVO owners (including myself) are experiencing the issue detailed below, when I called HTC, they claimed to know nothing of it, yet a cursory search of the internet revealed hundreds of users experiencing this issue.  Sprint also denied knowledge of it.  Both my wife and I are having this problem and we both have HTC EVO's that were purchased the 1st or 2nd week after launch.

This issue is this:  When headphones or AUX cables are plugged into the 3.5mm jack, and an attempt is made to listen to music, the music starts jumping all over the place, fast forwarding, skipping to another song, launching and DIALING voice dial!!...etc.  This does not happen when the phone is laying still on a desk, but if you attempt to go for a jog (which is when many people listen to music) it goes awry.  Or if you try to listen to it in the car with an AUX cable, it happens too.  The problem has been isolated to a faulty jack, when the cable or plug moves ever so slightly (in the car, jogging, exercising) the connection to the jack shorts and causes a malfunction.

Some users report that using a microphone/headset instead of standard headphones prevents this problem, if this is the case, Sprint or HTC should issue microphone headsets to all EVO owners as any other headphones will not work, I've tried many brands, Sony, KOSS, generic, Sennheiser, panasonic, all have same problem.

Sprint, HTC, somebody, please correct this issue!   I have an order in for an exchange for another EVO, but I'm skeptical that it will fix the issue. 

Sprint: will this be fixed? 

Reference to the Android Forums and another thread in this forum, there are many many others, but for the sake of brevity, I'll only cite 3:

• http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/98937-all-music-apps-3-5mm-jack-wonky-playback.html
  • http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/98880-fixed-microphone-jack-problem.html
  • http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/34059  

Message was edited by: robertlo99

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have the same problem. I tried a manual fix but it comes back every once in a while. This is a huge problem if you go running with the phone or even in the car. I was told by HTC to return the phone since it's a hardware issue most likely.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They suggested the same thing to me, to return it to Sprint for a swap out, which is what I'm trying, I'm doubtful that it will fix it, given how many people are experiencing the problem, sounds more like a hardware bug that screams recall.  I would like a Sprint Admin to please chime in and answer this question.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is this merely an issue with using headphones instead of a headset?  The EVO supports a stereo headset and the issue being it has extra pickup points on the plug to connect to the mic as well as L and R audio output.  While I haven't tried both combinations it sounds as though you are using headphones with only L and R connectivity and shorting it back into the phone because it's also making contact to the mic contact.

IF this is the case, and only IF, this is not a defect.  This product is a phone that plays music, not a music player that has a phone.  Try a standard stereo headset (not headphone) and see if that "fixes" your issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That should not be acceptable to you or anyone who purchased this phone, this phone is advertised as a multi-media phone and music player, most individuals have AUX ports in their vehicles these days, and this defect effectively causes that feature to be un-usable.  All other phones that have music players (not just iPhones) allow the use of headphones as well as headsets, this is most definitely a defect.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had MANY phones that play MP3's...  Blackberry, LG's, etc.  NONE of them came with a headphone jack, only a headset jack.  The definition of defect is something designed one way but works another or not at all.  This apparently was designed to work with a headset and works with a headset.  Who wants to finagle with headphones when the phone rings?  Forcing to unplug and answer when a headset has a mic built in and you can just answer.

I'm not defending the design, I'm just saying I believe it works as designed, nothing more.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand your point of view, but I disagree as this phone is designed to be a multi-media device.  In talking to HTC, they agreed that if I was experiencing this issue (even if they've not heard of it before) that it's a defect and to take it to Sprint for an exchange, as a result, I think one can reasonably infer that they are conceding that the issue, as described in detail is in fact a product defect.

Highlighted
Journeyman

robertlo99, I certainly won't complain if they want to replace my phone with one that uses a standard headphone jack as well as a headset jack but IF this is truly the issue, then a replacement phone will only replicate your current results as it will have the same output jack.  If you exchange, PLEASE update and let the forum know what the results are.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will do, I've heard mixed results thus far, some have claimed 100% fixed as others have complained that the problem persists.  I'll report back with my own experience as it occurs.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can a Sprint rep please chime in? Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just discovered a big problem related to this. My FM Radio has nothing but static. If I pull up on the plug just before the point it thinks it's unplugged, the FM signal comes in 100% clear. There is something definitely wrong with these jacks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would contact Sprint if you are within 30 days and exchage the phone ASAP.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat