Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO Questions

Journeyman

EVO Questions

I have been following this phone since it was rumored to be the HTC Supersonic (Although I really think it wasn't). I have a few questions about some of the features:

1. Hotspot capabilities: I know it costs $10-$20 to enable the feature. I live outside a soon to be 4G area. My question is if I pay for this, will I be able to use 3G? Or will it only be 4G enabled for hotspot.

2. More of a 4G question: Boston is the area I live in. With 4G coming to the area, I was wondering how far the coverage would span outside of Boston. I believe clearwire has stated they are building towers to extend 1.5-2miles for non line of site (NLOS) signal.

3. The better question: When are we going to hear more news on this phone? Theres a lot of rumors around about the release date and possible pre-orders. Sprint, you seem to be losing steam with this phone. I'm wondering what Verizon's presales will be live in the next few days. Also, with the rumored iPhone 4G (HD, 3G2) I'm sure you would want to lock people in ASAP into new contracts. I just keep seeing repeat information released, but a lot more rumors. WHEN WILL WE SEE MORE?!?!

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

This is a 3G/4G phone.

If you don't have 4G, you can use 3G.

There will be a 4G widget, so you can turn it on and off.

With it on, it'll search for a 4G signal, and of course default to 3G if there is none.

Go here for more info and check out Dan Hesse's Buzz Zone interview.

http://daily.ctia.org/wireless2010/

Journeyman

Thank you seanba for your response. I understand it is a 4g/3g phone. That wasn't my question. I see marketing for the hotspot capability as 3g/4g in some places, and see just 4g in others. I was wondering if, living in a non-4g area, I can still take advantage of the hotspot capabilities of the phone.

Thanks again for your responses!

Journeyman

I have a question about the EVO, is it going to be available to Nextel customers?

I was a Sprint customer that was moved to a Nextel account by Sprint due to coverage problems. If you have 3 seconds, because that is all it will take look at the phones that we have to pick from.

I'm really tired of being treaed like the unwanted family  member at the reunion. We pay our bills just like everyone else. Why can't we have access to an android system phone?

Lester

Journeyman

So, will there be an additional cost to use the 4G if I live in Boston for the EVO?  If there is, I may think twice about purchasing it and go back to the 3G Hero instead.

Master

The EVO wont be available for Nextel, But they have announced an Android phone that will, It is the Motorola i1.

http://now.sprint.com/nextel/index.html?pid=9&Id12=MA:MS:20091010:ANDROID

Journeyman

Entcnu79, From what I've read, there will not be any additional cost to use 4G. There IS however, an additional cost to use the hotspot capabilities. So using the phone itself will not cost extra on 4g.

Wizard

bgreenwoood wrote:

Entcnu79, From what I've read, there will not be any additional cost to use 4G. There IS however, an additional cost to use the hotspot capabilities. So using the phone itself will not cost extra on 4g.

Do you actually have a press release from Sprint or from an actual verified Sprint employee (not just someone saying they work for Sprint) saying that the hotspot functionality will be $10 - 20 more a month?

To my knowledge this is absolutely a rumor and should be stated as such.  Just because it shows up on random Android forums doesn't mean that it is true, there are a lot of rumors that don't pan out.

I do hope that they release more information about this phone ASAP.  The Droid Incredible is soaking up a lot of attention now and soon the new iphone will be getting attention.  Sprint would be wise to get this phone out sooner than later so they capitalize on the excitement.

Journeyman

Like I said, its from "what I've read". I see posts from forum vets like wjackson, and articles on engadget and gizmodo which all say the same thing. So until Sprint release some sort of information, thats what I am believing until otherwise told. Sprint hasn't countered it with any comments to contradict it. Like they have been saying, this makes sense as clearwire and Dan Hess have stated in the past that it is less cost to them to have everyone on 4g (see CTIA keynotes and interviews). Sprint already charges for tethering, so having an HTC specific package for this would make sense.

So yes, this is a rumor. But one grounded in some sound facts.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat