cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO becomes unresponsive when 4g is turned on!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: EVO becomes unresponsive when 4g is turned on!

I'm in the DC area.  As the others state, it's not the quality of the 4g that's the issue.  The issue is that when you turn 4g on on the EVO, the entire phone becomes sluggish to the point of non-usable.  Turning off 4g doesn't solve the issue.  You must reboot the entire phone.

Journeyman

dshoem01,

As others have just stated, our issue is not with the speed of 4G.  We are not pleased with our phone becoming very unresponsive when we enable the 4G radio.  Strong 4G signal, weak 4G signal, no 4G signal doesn't matter; the phone is affected the same.

For the sake of your reply, I'm located in the Sacramento, CA area.  We just got 4G enabled and this is why I noticed this issue with the EVO.  Still have this "lag" issue when I enable 4G on my phone.

As a Sprint Admin, can you help us out?  Can you escalate this issue to your tech support dept or make an inquiry with HTC?  There's enough of us with the same exact problem to warrent some investigation.  As I've said before, this appears to be purely a software issue; it should be easy enough to make a patch to correct this problem and issue it OTA.

Thanks.

Journeyman

it's unbelievable that a Sprint administrator couldn't even understand the question.....

in any case, I'm in NY and my phone's system slows to a crawl when 4g is turned on, although it doesn't matter what city I'm in since the problem doesn't pertain to the service area, it's the phone's crappy operating system trying to work with the crappy 4g programing....

I agree with others that Sprint is ignoring the issue, come on Sprint, FIX IT!

Journeyman

I am an EVO owner and have been experiencing all kinds of issues the past couple of months.  In June when I bought the phone everything was great then in September an update started causing the phone to lag.  Then in October something happened to turn Sprints network into pure garbage that results in terrible data speeds often rendering the phone useless.

I have called sprint dozens of times and explained to countless people getting a variety of responses from not knowing what is going on, blaming me for the problem, adivsing to take my phone in for diagnostics, phone resets, to flat out hanging up on me.  To sum up my experience with Sprint and their customer service would be to say that I think its a combination of gross incompetence and lack of caring.  Since were under contract Sprint dosnt give a rats rear if we are having problems plus 99.99% of the people you talk to are too stupid to know whats going on.  They had me take my phone to a store where in person I showed them the problems.  The took it, ran diagnostics, came back to me and said nothing was wrong and it was my fault because of apps I downloaded.  I did a factory reset in front of their eyes and reproduced the problem (lagging phone, horrid data speed <10kbps with 4g) and they literally shrugged their shoulders at me and said they did not know what the problem was.

To anwer your question about the unresponsive phone:

This is a bug introduced when they did a September update, although no one at Sprint will confirm this or even remotely act like they know what your talking about.  I have noticed this is happening most often when your signal is weak or when your signal drops and then the phone reconnects.  The bug is likely that the service searching for 4g does not stop searching even when a connection is refound after a drop which then the service hits a continual loop maxing out your processors resources.

Fix:

While restarting your phone is a viable option it sucks because it takes forever.  You could also not turn on the 4g radio but that sucks because then you cant use the service.

What I do is: Download System Panel Lite.  This program shows your processor, memory, RAM usage while also gives you the ability to kill applications.  When ever my phone starts lagging really bad I open System Panel Lite and see my processor at 100% usage.  I hit the "End All" button which kills all apps running except for android operating system apps.  This then results in whatever hidden service that is sucking up my processor resources to close.  My phone is now back to running like normal and 4g service is still running.

Until that bug is acknowledged by Sprint I will keep doing this because it seems to work pretty well.

As for the "4g" service ever since October my data speed has often been <20kps when on 4g and it used to be 6-10Mbps!!!  Something is wrong with Sprints network and they have instructed their people(on the phone and in store) not to talk about it or even acknowledge it.  I did manage to get one Sprint technical rep to admit something was wrong and issue me a credit for my 4g for the month of November but he did say that the problem had not been isolated and there was no ETA on a fix.  Other than that one person the 50 other people I have talked to will not acknowledge anything and the Sprint "Admins" on this forum wont comment on it either, they just play stupid and ask you to post more detailed information and when you do they never respond back.

I have noticed that in off "peak" hours (in my area before 8am and after 4pm) I usually get really good speed with very few occassions of slow down.  I have also noticed that my data speeds can vary greatly going from one tower to another. (I tested this because where I work is sandwiched in between two 4g towers and I go for walks.  The north side is the crappy tower and south good.  On a walk I can stream youtube and gamespot videos when on the south side of building and when I walk to north side of building it stops as soon as I swith over to another 4g tower).  If you talk with Clearwire (the company Sprint gets their 4g from) it appears than many of the towers are being overloaded because of the unexpectedly high demand for 4g services.  Clearwires network was largely built out before Sprint decided to rent out their towers for 4g service(at least in the DFW area it was) and I think its likely that the additional load Sprint customers place on these towers is stressing the network.

Anyways the past couple of months have taught me a few good lessons.  While Verizon is very expensive and made me leave because of it, there is a very steep price you pay when moving to a cheaper provider like Sprint.  Quality of network and customer service are piss poor at Sprint and as soon a I can get off contract I will leave and never come back.  An extra 20-30 per month is well worth it!!!!

Journeyman

Or you could do a hard reset like i did and it fixed that 4G laggy processor issues i waw having.

Journeyman

I am having the same issue as the original poster.  When I turn on the 4G (either using the widget or doing it through "settings") my phone will lag afterwards.  I am in a 4G city, Columbus, OH, but can't get 4G everywhere.  After I try and get a 4G signal and turn of the 4G setting, my phone will have a significant lag that can only be fixed by rebooting the phone.

Journeyman

IAmSixNine,

Could you provide details of how you do a "hard" reset?

I understand that you reinstall all of your apps from the market after doing the reset.

I just don't know what sequence of buttons or settings selection you use for the reset part.

Thanks!

Journeyman

To the admin that posted in this thread it has nothing to do with cities or the signal. It's a software related issue like the 150kbps cap upload cap that was on the Samsung Epic 4G.

Im in New York City in my area 2 out of 3 bars of 4G service. Whenever I leave 4G on for a extended period of time the phone becomes extremely slow. Not data speed slow buy physical response to touch input. There is very serious lag like 4-6 seconds before the phone responds to your input. And the only thing that remedies this is a phone reboot. This has been going on for over a month and no update has come to fix it. Theres users on HTC's site that have complained about this. Hopefully this gets fixed soon and Sprint doesn't go back and forth saying its the netrok or your location blah blah etc like they did with the upload problem with the Epic. All that does is slow down the process.

Journeyman

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC EVO 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Press and release the Power button
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

Journeyman

My Evo has had this issue since the day I got it. It's maddening to say the least. I have been on the phone with Sprint three times before I just gave up. I am convinced they have absolutely no idea what is going on or how to deal with it (or even care). The service is provided by Clear, so they seem to just throw up their arms and say "I don't know". The last suggestion I got was to just turn 4G off altogether (the phone works great as long as 4G is off)... Oh, good, that's helpful. And we get to pay extra to be their beta testers?

I'm not sure how the "4G" service is in other regions, but here in Las Vegas, "spotty" would be a overly optomistic way of describing it. If you happen to be outside somewhere where there is coverage, it is fast, very fast. Indoors, almost everywhere I have tried it, the signal is so weak, it just constantly switches back and forth between 4G and 3G. Even in my car on the way to work, it would go from full strength to nothing, to weak signal, to off probably about 10 times... The phone gets so confused, sometimes it is showing 4G and 3G at the same time (and neither is really working). A reboot will solve the problems (usually) for about 24 hours. Sometimes its till the next time 4G is turned on...

I have been a Sprint PCS customer for 11 years now, and this is the first time I fear Sprint is in serious, serious doo doo. If this is the future of their data service, they are in trouble... Wimax is awful, and unreliable at best. Everyone I know that has tried Clear got rid of it in DAYS... Why do you think they are in such trouble? I wouldn't be surprised to see Sprint have to make a complete 180 regarding it if it doesn't end up taking them down too...

It's too bad, otherwise the EVO is a great phone (well, aside from the 8 hour battery life).

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.