cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO earpiece sound quality sounds like a blown speaker!

Highlighted
Patron

EVO earpiece sound quality sounds like a blown speaker!

My EVO just started doing the harsh-treble, blown speaker sounding earpiece thing.  After searching the internet, it seems I'm not the only one with this issue.  It's almost impossible to understand anyone who calls me unless the volume is jacked up.  When I turn the volume down, it's almost impossible to even hear anyone -almost as if there is no bass or midrange output anymore - all tinny, crackling treble.  Truly awful.  I've tried everything in Setup to see if anything was set wrong, and it's all correct.  HTC apparently did not spec a robust enough earpiece speaker.  My wife keeps reminding me "shoulda got an iPhone..."  I'm very frustrated!

Yet, when I stream Pandora, or play some music, the sound is great.  Which leads me to believe it's either a hardware/software problem, or the EVO has one speaker for playing music and for going on speakerphone mode, and another absolutely weak and inferior earpiece speaker for conventional phone usage.

I'm not happy, and I will be marching into my local Sprint store and demand a fresh one - I don't care if I have to reload everything - this is unacceptable.....What is the sense of having a phone that can't even perform it's most fundamental duty?  Might as well use two soup cans and a piece of string to make my calls.

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

yea wen my phone rang with the volume up the speaker soundd like it was going to burst but other than that my sound quality is beautiful yur phone inparticular must have a speaker problem .....srry mehn i feel yur pain :(

jokermtb wrote:

My EVO just started doing the harsh-treble, blown speaker sounding earpiece thing.  After searching the internet, it seems I'm not the only one with this issue.  It's almost impossible to understand anyone who calls me unless the volume is jacked up.  When I turn the volume down, it's almost impossible to even hear anyone -almost as if there is no bass or midrange output anymore - all tinny, crackling treble.  Truly awful.  I've tried everything in Setup to see if anything was set wrong, and it's all correct.  HTC apparently did not spec a robust enough earpiece speaker.  My wife keeps reminding me "shoulda got an iPhone..."  I'm very frustrated!

Yet, when I stream Pandora, or play some music, the sound is great.  Which leads me to believe it's either a hardware/software problem, or the EVO has one speaker for playing music and for going on speakerphone mode, and another absolutely weak and inferior earpiece speaker for conventional phone usage.

I'm not happy, and I will be marching into my local Sprint store and demand a fresh one - I don't care if I have to reload everything - this is unacceptable.....What is the sense of having a phone that can't even perform it's most fundamental duty?  Might as well use two soup cans and a piece of string to make my calls.

Wizard

Re: EVO earpiece sound quality sounds like a blown speaker!

Yes, there are two speakers.  It is possible that some application over-drove the speaker and damaged it, or it could have somehow been physically damaged, or there could have been some defect in the speaker that took some time to produce symptoms.

Do you usually begin conversations with marching and demanding?  Perhaps you will get better service, and a more pleasant experience, by calmly walking into the store and requesting a replacement.

Patron

Well, Sprint replaced my EVO with the blown earpiece speaker - said it was a motherboard issue and the phone would need to be sent back to the mothership for repair.  Sprint replaced it with a new EVO - took about 2 weeks to get a fresh one.

Now, two months later, the earpiece speaker is blown again.  Got a call from a friend who uses an iPhone, and they must have had the mic volume on their phone pegged, because when I answered the call, it was loud and instantly fuzzed out the earpiece speaker on my phone.   The EVO apparently lacks a volume limit buffer for incoming calls to protect the earpiece speaker.

Back to the Sprint store for a new EVO....Can you tell I'm excited that I get to re-load all the crap I finally got on my existing phone?  I'm beginning to think this EVO is in need of further EVO-loution...

I'm starting to look for the door.....

Wizard

yeah, this just happened to me and I just got the new one.  We will see if it happens again.....I'll keep returning them, over and over.  This phone is too ideal for me to give up because they can't put a decent speaker in there. 

Patron

aside from the abysmal battery life, I quite enjoy the phone.  Just not looking forward to downloading everything all over again when they give me a new one.....PITA~!

Patron

Took the EVO to the Sprint Store.  The Tech said the earpiece speaker was indeed "blown".  Instead of having to send it back to Sprint/HTC for repair, and giving me a brand new EVO replacement, the Tech swapped out the earpiece speaker in-store.  It took about a 1/2 hour for him to do the surgery.  Apparently the earpiece speaker problem is a lot more widespread than publicized, and Sprint/HTC has authorized it's in-store Techs to do the surgery in-store, instead of sending the phone back and providing a fresh one to the customer.

I anticipate my earpiece speaker will blow up again, but at least it's a quick fix in the store, instead of a 2 week wait for a fresh EVO.

Journeyman

My first Evo had a blown speaker (on the front for phone calls, not the speakerphone speaker) and now my second one has gone bad. I had the same problem with at least one HTC Hero.

My guess is that in certain conditions, the Evo can overdrive its own speaker, perhaps when unjacking from a sound system and the sound volume is turned up . That is a design flaw. The speaker should be upgraded to handle any power that is directed to it. Music should never come out of that speaker anyway.

At the time of the first problem, the local Sprint tech said the Evo speakers were not in-store reparable, but the model was new and that may have been because there were no repair parts in the pipeline.

I love Android 2.2. I love using a large screen. I have no complaints with Sprint. But at this point, I really am not very thrilled with the quality of HTC phones. I bought the Evo without a contract, and after this one is repaired, I may look at other options (carrier and hardware) if HTC can't do better than this.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Just curious -- I had that problem on my Epic, and it was because I got a drop of water on the speaker.  Just one tiny drop.

10 minutes in a box of hot rice dried it right out and it worked fine. (fill microwave safe dish with dry rice, nuke for 45 seconds, slip phone into rice)

Something to try - especially if you've been using the phone after a workout (sweat).

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

No, this appears to be an HTC issue. If you google blown speaker and Evo or HTC, you will find many posts with very similar complaints. There are "how tos" for replacing speakers on other HTC phones, but not the Evo. Again, I believe this is either a design flaw on the part of HTC, or a quality control issue with HTC or their suppliers. A (new) phone should not be able to destroy any part of itself through normal use.

Journeyman

I bought mine on launch day, and it had a blown ear speaker out of the box.  I read reviews about poor call quality and chalked it up to that.  I didn't realize it was an actual defect, so I am out of my 30 days to replace it.

Sprint refuses to do anything about it.  It is such a known and widespread issue.  I cannot believe Sprint will hold this product out as their flagship and then refuse to stand behind it.  I have been a sprint customer since 1999.  This is the last straw for me.  Sprint keeps telling me I should have bought insurance.  Insurance is for accidents, not manufacturer defects.  Sprint also tells me to go to HTC.  Going to HTC means I have to be without a phone for 2-3 weeks, and risk HTC somehow turning it around on me as if it is my fault. This basically makes HTC's warranty a non-option.

Not only does my phone have the speaker problem, it also has cracks by the power button and volume button, which is another widespread problem.  My phone has never been dropped, has a protective case and screen protector.

Why do I have to be a sucker to buy a product with so many inherent defects, and sit here while Sprint doesn't want to do anything about it.  You want an iPhone competitor, then stand behind your product like Apple does.  I understand that Sprint and HTC are two different companies, but with Apple, you have the option of walking into a store.  I can't walk into an HTC store to have my defective phone replaced.  My phone has a Sprint logo on it.  Sprint is where I go.  Sprint can easily handle the process with HTC on behalf of its customers, so we don't have to go 3 weeks without a phone we are paying probably $100 a month for.

This really is the last straw for me.  I am going to switch to Verizon and go with the iPhone.  I love Android and like my phone outside of the defects, but I cannot sit here and be taken advantage of.  I thought Sprint's customer service was improving, but apparently I was wrong.

Journeyman

My brother bought an EVO a week ago and I bought one yesterday both of these phones have this problem out of the box.Worst quality sound I have ever heard in a cell phone.I called it tin can quality sound with a crackle at the end of every word.Both of these phones are going back.I just spoke to a sprint rep this evening and asked if there has been any complaints about this problem and she told me she saw nothing on it.I did a web search and now here I am in sprints site seeing this. I'm going to give them one more chance on this phone if the replacement is the same I'm going back to my old reliable Samsung phone and will never buy another HTC product.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat