cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO on 3G

Highlighted
Wizard

EVO on 3G

EVO on 3G is still going to be better than existing Android phones on 3G.  The screen size and resolution, the cameras, the processor, and the internal memory...

But, without 4G, the phone is not really "super" (taking from the prefix of its old moniker 'supersonic'). Of course, without first hand experience, the following is only speculation from information gathered up to this point when the phone is not on WiMAX:

- no simultaneous data and voice usage
- no video conferencing(?)
- no phone calls during hotspot usage (or tethering)
- no HQ streaming (I wouldn't want to do it on 3G)
- no 3-6Mbps down, 1Mbps up max (average download, I hope, have a feeling it would be less but that's just being negative)
- ???

That's all, I think. So it's just not as exciting on 3G, but definitely better than existing Android phones on 3G. Still worth upgrading?  Hmm...personally, leaning toward 'yes', as the additional monthly fee is a bit put-off, because without 4G the phone is hampered.  I'm going to have to see how well it functions on 3G for the final decision.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

You are still able to make video calls when only using 3G.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You kidding me?  The 720p HD recording and HDMI-out alone makes it worth buying and using, even on 3G.  Then on top of it you add a 1GHz processor to play some really great 3D games on the large, bright screen?

I'm thankful that Cleveland will be getting 4G "soon", but even if we weren't to get it until next year, I'd still switch over to Sprint for this phone.  T-Mobile has nothing close to it (Android-wise), and I refuse to overpay for AT&T or VZW.

Highlighted
Wizard

jakegilson wrote:

You are still able to make video calls when only using 3G.

I don't see how that can be.  That means data and voice simultaneously, right?  Can't do that on 3G, not even on this phone.

Highlighted
Wizard

OneUpDave wrote:

You kidding me?  The 720p HD recording and HDMI-out alone makes it worth buying and using, even on 3G.  Then on top of it you add a 1GHz processor to play some really great 3D games on the large, bright screen?

I'm thankful that Cleveland will be getting 4G "soon", but even if we weren't to get it until next year, I'd still switch over to Sprint for this phone.  T-Mobile has nothing close to it (Android-wise), and I refuse to overpay for AT&T or VZW.

I agree, the phone is a monster even on 3G, but the Instinct HD is the same with 720p HD recording and HDMI-out.  The EVO will be better with it because of the Snapdragon.  I'm just saying that the phone on 3G is hampered, not to its full potential.  The simultaneous data/voice is, to me, a huge step up for all CDMA phones, but alas, only on 4G.  Hence, the hesitancy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not so sure it can't do calls and data at the same time. EvDO Rev. A was designed with QoS flags to use with VoIP and it isn't a huge technical hurdle for Sprint to implement it on this phone, since it uses a 4GV VOCODER and has to already use VoIP while on WiMAX.

Highlighted
Wizard

mutiny32 wrote:

I'm not so sure it can't do calls and data at the same time. EvDO Rev. A was designed with QoS flags to use with VoIP and it isn't a huge technical hurdle for Sprint to implement it on this phone, since it uses a 4GV VOCODER and has to already use VoIP while on WiMAX.

well, if this phone can do both voice and data on 3G, then it's definitely worth to be called "premium" for the extra monthly fee.  but, i have not seen any confirmation from anyone indicating that it could.  looking forward to the 4th.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not premium, considering Rev.A was intended to eliminate the need to drop to 1xRTT to make voice calls, but none of the carriers implemented VoIP as it was intended. The closest thing was QChat, but that was ditched.

It's actually cheaper to go the VoIP route because there is no spectrum strain from using 1xRTT as well as the lesser need for bandwidth because of more effiicient 4GV codecs.

Highlighted
Wizard

found a thread where someone had recent first hand test run with the phone.  informal report from a real user of sprint htc hero.  not so good things to say about 4G coverage or download average speed. even though his house was shown as within the full 4G coverage, he couldn't get a good reception, also, 4G is just not good on the move.  the battery is going to be an issue due to the constant switching between 3G and 4G.  yes, turn off 4G, but...

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/80405-just-got-play-evo-few-hours-2.html

the phone does function well under 3G.  looking forward to more real user reviews.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat