cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO update broke streaming audio DEMAND FOR RESPONSE

Journeyman

EVO update broke streaming audio DEMAND FOR RESPONSE

Despite the fact that the main thread REPEATEDLY brings up the fact that the update broke something which should work (namely apps like Sirius XM Online) there has been no official response in this forum.

So I ask the Sprint employees, WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED? I consider my phone to be non-functioning so long as this is an issue.

Tags (2)
46 REPLIES 46
Journeyman

Re: EVO update broke streaming audio DEMAND FOR RESPONSE

Is 24 hours not enough time to respond to a simple question?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Of all the channels there are to take, you've chosen the one you are least likely to get an official response from Sprint using... well besides standing in your closest and aimlessly asking your shoes "When?"

If you want it fixed you probably should try tech support, your local store, etc...  Much more productive than demanding an answer in a forum where your message MIGHT get read... and if it does get read by someone at Sprint who could escalate it and get you a response, odds are they won't... It's a public forum, not a support call center.

I'd suggest backing up and punt and running the ball down the center...  The forum is most likely never going to get you this answer until AFTER it's fixed.

Journeyman

Respectfully...

Tech support reports it is a known issue and gives a number for HTC (1 866 449 8358) where they take your complaint and "send it up." I can only presume that "send it up" means sacrifice it to the false gods of bureaucracy.

Sprint stores are worthless places. The only Sprint Repair Center I've had a good experience with was a 3rd party dealer, and I'm fairly certain they don't approve firmware updates or are otherwise able to help.

Finally, I've had better experiences on this board as far as getting INFORMATION than anywhere else. Which makes being ignored really suck.

I've never been tempted to leave Sprint until they approved this crappy update with apparently no testing. I just want my phone to WORK, and it isn't working so long as I can't listen to music...

Sprint Product Ambassador

vinniemac274 wrote:

Despite the fact that the main thread REPEATEDLY brings up the fact that the update broke something which should work (namely apps like Sirius XM Online) there has been no official response in this forum.

So I ask the Sprint employees, WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED? I consider my phone to be non-functioning so long as this is an issue.

Hi!

Sprint doesn't use this as an official support channel.  It's primarily designed for user-to-user support and help.  We have some folks out here who contribute as they are able, and admins to moderate discussion. 

Now, I haven't read the original thread.  What specific issue, error or problem are you having?  I'm listening to AOnline Radio streaming app (Shoutcast based) as I type.  Works fine.  I don't doubt you are having issues with your app, but more information would help other users to help you identify a solution or workaround.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, for formal support from Sprint or HTC, you can contact us via phone or email from http://sprint.com/contactus

Thanks for the post!

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Sprint support, as I stated in a response, simply called it a "known issue" and referred to HTC where a guy said he had heard similar problems and would "send it up." Useless.The update should have been pulled at the first sign of a problem and repaired in hours.

The problem is with many apps.Mine is Sirius XM Online. Based on others' coments, we have rdio, thumbplay, retro radio, XiiaLiv, aor player, winamp, antplayer, and others all not working. Note that the problem is not present over WiFi, but only over Sprint's 3G or 4G network.

Ah - thank you for the update. There sounds like there is another thread discussing this? 

I tested on 3G and got 'buffering - stopped' on AOnline Radio.  Not surprised here - I'm at -106db or lower signal where I'm working today.

Is that the experience everyone else is seeing?  I found a thread on Android Central talking about poor sound quality.

If you can point me to the main thread where problem reports are showing up I'll get our product manager engaged and see what we can find out.  It's not going to be immediate, especially with the holidays, but we'll see what can be sorted.

Thanks again!

Will

Journeyman

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/53772?tstart=0

This thread has almost 200 replies, but SOME of them are about the audio problems. For your convenience, here are two of the posts....

"When using these streaming apps, WiFi will work, it's 3G that isn't  working.  Make sure you test on 3G/4G.  Also, on XiiaLive's forum, it's  been found that MPEG streams are having a problem, but AAC+ streams  work.

Of course, the one I need, an emergency scanner doesn't stream since the update." at http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/242549#242549

and..

"I have the same problem here. AAC+ streams play the same as they did before the update. When you try a mp3 stream it just buffers for a few seconds and stops. I have tried both 3g and 4g and mp3 will only stream on Wifi now, Need a fix for this quickly, I use my streaming app everyday driving to and from work." at http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/242644#242644

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/49285-siriusxm-app-broken-after-update-anyone-else.html

This thread started out about Sirius XM, but other apps are mentioned.

Journeyman

Since I purchased a subscription from Sirius|XM for use with my EVO, and it was Sprint that released software that damaged my ability to enjoy that subscription, I intend to ask for a $5.00 credit for the inconvenience.   Provided this gets resolved quickly.

Thanks for the pointer!

Journeyman

My Sirius app doesn't work either after the update unless on wifi.  I intend to ask for a full month of credit of my Sprint bill if this isn't fixed soon.  If I don't get it, then I'll vote with my wallet and go somewhere else.  My number is portable and there is nothing holding me to Sprint.  The Evo has a high enough resale value to pay for the EFT.  It's bad enough I cannot remove all the Sprint bloatware like blockbuster, nova, football, nascar, Sprint TV, etc.  They should let those apps be uninstalled for apps that people really want.  The phone has limited space as it is.  Not all apps support the SD card. 

Journeyman

From another site (edited to fix typo by original poster):

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2458474&postcount=123

Apparently the update changed the settings below to something that disrupts streamin. Whether it is because Sprint wants to redirect this traffic  to a  proxy server or someone just goofed on the settings, who knows.  But I checked the settings against a Moment and the Moment has different  settings.

Here's the fix:

1) Dial ##3282#
2) Choose Edit Mode
3) Enter MSL
4) Choose Advanced
5) Change HTTP PD Proxy Port to: 0
6) Change HTTP PD Proxy Address to: 0.0.0.0

Successfully tested on both 3G and 4G with NPR News app (which  consistently errored out within seconds of starting before this change).

Message was edited by: vinniemac274

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat