cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO won't connect to home wifi network

Journeyman

Hello,

I'm having problems connecting my EVO to my wifi network at my house.  My roommates Hero (2.1 android) connects just fine.  My phone detects the network, but when it goes to obtain IP address, it just cycles through.  Phone connects to my work wifi network and everyone else I have tried.  Can anyone help?

Info:

Evo build number:  3.30.651.2 (android 2.2)

wirless router:  Belkin N1 wireless router

model no.   F5D8231-4

22 REPLIES
Master

Re: EVO won't connect to home wifi network

Turning Wi-Fi On and Connecting to a Wireless Network 1. Press and tap . 2. Select the check box to turn Wi-Fi on. The device will scan for available wireless networks. 3. Tap Wi-Fi settings. The network names and security settings (Open network or Secured with WEP) of detected Wi-Fi networks are displayed in the Wi-Fi networks section. 4. Tap a Wi-Fi network to connect. If you selected an open network, you will be automatically connected to the network. If you selected a network that is secured with WEP, enter the key, and tap Connect.

Depending on the network type and its security settings, you may also need to enter more information or choose a security certificate. When your device is connected to a wireless network, the Wi-Fi icon ( ) appears in the status bar and tells you the approximate signal strength (number of bands that light up). If Network notification in Wi-Fi settings is enabled, this icon ( ) appears in the status bar whenever the device detects an available wireless network within range. If this steps dont help.perform hardreset and then check.Hope this info helps.

Journeyman

Hey Abe2020, thanks for the reply.  Tried won't you suggested, but didn't help.  I've tried changing the router type (g, b, n), changing security (wpa, wep, none), wirless channel, unplugging and restarting.  Still nothing.  My laptop, xbox 360, and roommates Hero, connect to my wirless network just fine.  Evo connects to every other wifi i've tried, just not my home one.  It scans, detects, connects then goes to obtain IP address, then disconnects. It will keep repeating this cycle.  Any other help for me?  Thanks

Master

Here is a report where a user was having issues with a Belkin Router;

It was the SSID of my home router.

My network SSID was two words with a space between them which apparently the EVO 4G can't work with. At least it wouldn't on my Belkin N router.

I'm thinking it was a phone issue though because now that I think about it the Wireless Tether app for Root does not broadcast if you try to set an SSID with a space in it. For example the default SSID is AndroidTether. If you try to change it to Android Tether, it simply won't work.

Anyhoo I removed the space from my home routers SSID and poof, it started to work as soon as I hit connect.

- - - -

Also you might want to check that your router has the latest firmware, Another user reported this fixed his issue.

http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1975/session/L3NpZC9zUVJsdEplaw%3D%3D/kw/F5D...

Highlighted
Journeyman

My ssid is only one word, and I just updated the router.  Still getting same results.  Thanks for tips.

Journeyman

I am having the EXACT same problem at home with my Belkin N1 router.  My friend also had an EVO and no luck.  Every wireless device in the house works perfectly (PS3, Laptops...)

If anyone finds out what the problem is... please share.

Journeyman

After doing a bit of testing and investigation.

Do you have an ip phone such as OOMA or Vonage device between the router and the Modem?

If so, your best bet is to set your router as an Access Point... and you will be up and running and your EVO able to connect!!

The problem with that approach is that by doing that you don't have any security/encription in place.  Essentially you will have an open network,

Hope this helps!!

Rick

Journeyman

Worked for me. 

Journeyman

I was having the same issue as well. This is what I did to resolve it:

In Wireless and networks, under Wi-Fi settings, I scrolled to the very bottom and clicked on Add Wi-Fi network and manually added my home wi-fi (Network SSID, security, password, etc.). It connected instantly. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Master

With my understanding EVO is not compatible with N networks at 40 Mhz, go under your router's settings and change it from AUTO to 20 mhz. I think you won't have any problems after that. Good Luck .

I come here trying to help people and not because I'm employed from Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Journeyman

Bingo! Thank you so much for this answer. I have been struggling for this for months (sometimes I guess it 'picked' 40Mhz on auto, so it wasn't like it never worked, it did at times, but drove me nuts when it didn't). I hadn't been able to get it to connect all morning, but as soon as I changed from the 40 to 20, it connected instantly.  A huge Thanks DJ!

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!