cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVO wont connect to Win7 via USB

Journeyman

EVO wont connect to Win7 via USB

New EVO and Win7 Pro 64bit.  When attempting to connectmy new EVO to PC via USB, it receive the New Device Found sound, the android phone icon appears briefly in the devices panel, then within seconds I get a Device Disconnnect sound and the device dissappears from the device screen. The phone shows charging for the 3-4 seconds it connects, then goes out as well.  Appears it looses any conneciton to the PC.  Unplug and plug back in the the symptoms repeat. Cant find any errors in system or applicaiton logs on PC.  Can connect phone to another Win7 Pro laptop that is 32 bit.

Anybody seen this issue: or more important, anybody know how to resolve?

18 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: EVO wont connect to Win7 via USB

An educated guess but it sounds as if you have hardware issues.  Either bad USB port on the PC or the phone or a bad cable.  You're phone should charge regardless if the system recognizes the device or not.  Try changine your default setting to charge only when plugged in and see if the phone will still charge even if Windows doesn't see it.

Just for info, I have Windows 7 Ultimate and it worked out of the box.  I have since reinstalled and, as expected, works on the reinstall too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Assuming you're using the same cable on both machines, if you're able to connect it to another computer, it sounds like maybe you have a bad USB port on your computer.

I'm using the EVO with Win7 Ultimate 64-bit and it connects just fine in Disk Drive and HTC Sync modes.

Journeyman

AS for the cable, it works on my laptop, but not my desktop which is my main system.  For the charging.  The charge light comes on briefly when the system is recognized, then goes out as soon as the device is removed.  Looking at the "devices and printers" it breifly says android phone, then goes away.  Doesn't matter on which setting i have the phone on: charge only, disk drive, or sync.  Frustraiting.  Nothing shows in the system logs to indicated there was a problem with a device or system problem.  Will keep on digging!

Wizard

I had similar issue. To resolve it, you need to download and run the 'HTC Sync'.

Here is the link http://www.htc.com/us/support/evo-sprint/downloads/

Journeyman

Downloaded it and installed.  The first time I attempted to connect, it did show longer in the "Devices and Printers" window, but again disappeared after a few seconds.  When it disconnects, the charge light on the phone goes out.  However, something new, after installing the Sync software, I powered off the phone to reboot and "Wha-La" the charge light came on while the phone was off.  as soon as I powered the phone back on, the charge light went back out.  Still get the double ding and charge light when plugging it in and then the dong after a couple seconds and the charge light goes out. "Arrrggggg!"

Journeyman

I had a similiar issue with a usb device and a laptop.  Would come on for a few seconds and then back off.  It was a usb gps antenna.  The problem turned out to be the usb port.  Have you tried plugging in another USB device and/or using a usb hub?

Journeyman

OK, not resolved but here is an update.  If I power off the phone and reboot the Win7 Pro 64 machine (it has to be fresh booted), wait and log into the PC, then turn on the phone it will connect.

Note: As soon as you power off the phone and while the phone remains off, the charge light on the phone comes on.  As soon as you interupt the USB power connection to the phone, you loose the connection and the charging light stays off until you power off the phone.  If you power the phone back on without rebooing the PC, as soon as the phone is half way through booting the phone is recognized and then dropped.  Unplugging the phone and plugging it back in without powering down both the phone and the PC results in a failed connection.  Not sure where this is leading but hope it sparks a light for someone......

Master

Sounds to me like a hardware issue, but not necessarily. Have you tried plugging the EVO into another computer to make sure it isn't the computer that is the issue?

Also make sure that you have debugging mode turned off in Settings > Applications > Development just to make sure. What you explain shouldn't be caused by it, but there's always a chance.

Journeyman

I had the exact same problem -- I have Windows 7 64-bit and it did turn out to be a hardware problem, but not what you may think.  I replaced the stock samsung 8GB microSD card with a SanDisk 32 GB microSD card and all of a sudden, all of my connection problems were resolved.

When I say I had the exact same problem - I mean exact same - you describe all the goofy things my computer was doing in trying to connect.

I don't know if it will work for you, but if you have a spare microSD card, try it out.  I was on the phone with Sprint customer service for 2 hours trying to fix this issue to no avail, and then I figured it out myself.  Out of 500,000 Evos, some are going to have bad miroSD cards.

Journeyman

Thought you had something there.  Replaced the factory 8GB card with a 2GB card from my old PPC restarted the phone without rebooting the PC and it came right up the first time.  I browsed and deleted all the old files off the card, as soon as unplugged the USB and pluged it back in, same now i see you now i dont......

Journeyman

sorry to hear that didn't work.  When I originaly had my similar problem, I was searching on the HTC website forums and they had some suggestions for windows 7 64-bit users who had trouble syncing.  Might be worth trying there.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.