cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo Built-in Alarm App really buggy!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Evo Built-in Alarm App really buggy!

Do the Sprint folks monitor these discussion, or Is there a website or email to notify HTC/Sprint of bugs in the built-in apps?

I really like the Evo so far, but I have grown accustomed to using my cell for Alarms over the years, and so far, the Alarm app with the Evo is very buggy for me:

1. Twice, I've had an alarm go off, I do slide-to-dismiss thing, but it just goes back to the home screen with the alarm still sounding. Only way to stop the alarm once this happens (that I've found) is to power off the phone.

2. One of the settings in the alarm app is "Side Button Behavior." I've set it to "dismiss"; however when the alarm goes off, hitting the side button does not dismiss the alarm...it doesnt have any affect at all, actually.

3. I have an alarm set for Monday-Friday, and a separate alarm set for Sat & Sunday...this morning was clearly a Saturday, yet the M-F alarm went off.

It would be REALLY nice to see these bugs worked out!

Message was edited by: DWS44

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Evo Built-in Alarm App really buggy!

I've been using my alarm since day one and haven't once experienced any of the issues you describe. No bugs.

Journeyman

I have no problems either. I have one M-F alarm and I've pressed snooze and dismissed it on various occasions with no problems. It definitely did not go off on Saturday because I woke up wondering why there was no alarm and realized later I had only configured it for M-F.  My wife also has an Evo and her alarm is set to go off half an hour after mine and it always does its thing correctly as well.

I wonder what else could be causing the problem.  What time zone are you in?  Also, the time is broadcast from the local cell tower.  Do you ever notice the time on your Evo to be incorrect?  I could see how the clock malfunctioning on the tower might trip up the alarm problem.  I am not sure what else could cause it.  What else is usually running in the background?  I've only been using Android for a short time so I don't know if a background process draining resources could make the display misbehave.

Journeyman

my alarm at the beginning was a ok for a few day, then went all haywire... sometimes it would go off other times it wouldnt ... then i realized i had my advanced task killer killing the clock app which was the cause of all the issues.. once i tagged that app as never killed by the task killer everything was perfectly normal again..

hope this helps

Journeyman

i have had the same exact problems...and when I dismiss the alarm, which I have to do by sliding the touchscreen down because the side buttons won't work, the alarm is completely deactivated.

Journeyman

I have been experiencing the same issue. I found on the HTC forum examples of users like myself that used some version of App Task manager. It certainly explained the randomness in my case.

If App Killer happened to kill the clock app just before the scheduled alarm time, then I was out of luck. I added the "Clock" app to the ignore list and so far so good.

Journeyman

Oh thanks I was wondering why sometimes my alarm would go off and sometimes it wouldnt. Just incase anyone else has this problem to stop it you:

Open your Taskiller and hold down the clock until the menu pops up and hit the ignore button anything blue in your task killer is ignored. Thanks again

Journeyman

HTC EVO Froyo 2.2 (not rooted) just to get that out of the way.  No task killer in use other than the built in EVO memory manager thing.

I have a similar issue. Although I thought it was caused by the "In Case Of Emergency (ICE)" program initially.  The one that will display your ICE contacts and other relevant info on the Lock Screen so Emergency Service people can help you. Anyway, I disabled it from taking over the Lock Screen, but still have the same issue.  It wasn't this program causing the issue.

To add another layer, I was using the Kaloer Clock app which is awesome for a nightstand clock replacement. I thought it was causing the issue too.  Nope.

SO I switched back to the basic HTC EVO clock and disabled the ICE app.  No good. The alarm will always go off ... but I can't silence it without turning the phone completely off.

This is so annoying and like everyone else, I hope Sprint sees this thread at some point.

Journeyman

This is an old thread, but this happened to me two times today, on two different phones.  I just recently got the phones about a week ago.  The phones have froyo 2.2 with the latest updates.

Anyways, my wife's alarm came on and she moved her hand over to swipe it.  I swear I heard it stop for a few seconds and then it came right back on.  My wife tried to stop it, but It just kept going on.  She couldn't stop it, and when I glanced over (which was only like 5 seconds later) it was already on the screen prompting for the PIN.  She entered her pin and got in, but the alarm kept going.  I couldn't stop it either so I had to press the power button and hold it down.

Just about 10 mins later, I was already up and my alarm came on.  Just a split second before that happened though, I had turned on my phone and swiped downwards and got prompted for my PIN.  A split second later the alarm came on.  By the time I realized it, it was too late and the alarm animation was gone.  I got into my phone after entering my PIN, but just like before I couldn't stop the alarm, and I had to do a hard shut down of the phone.

I kept playing with the phone to see what was causing it.  I am finally able to reproduce it now.

Basically, if you are on the PIN screen when the alarm comes on, the alarm animation and buttons do not take priority over the PIN screen, so you never see the alarm screen and therefore you never get a chance to turn off the alarm.

To reproduce this annoying issue (WARNING: BE PREPARED TO SHUT DOWN YOUR PHONE), simply do the following (assuming you have set up a PIN already to bring the phone back from standby):

1) Go into Menu > Settings > Lock phone after > and then select the option for "Immediately"

2) Next, set the alarm to 1 min from now.

3) Put the phone into standby mode by simply pressing the power button once and letting go.

4) Once the screen goes black, Immediately turn on the power button and drag the screen down so you see the PIN screen.  Leave the screen here.  Play with it, do whatever to keep the screen here.  Do not actually enter the pin yet though.

5) When the time is up, you will understand the pain.

I think what may have happened to my wife was she may have hit snooze on the first alarm.  She may have had a 2nd alarm set coincidentally 10 mins after the first one.  When the snooze came back on, she must have hit it quick enough to get the PIN screen up, and then the 2nd alarm kicked in.  At least that's my theory.

Anyways, I hope sprint fixes this soon because it's frikken annoying.

Journeyman

This is EXACTLY my problem.

Journeyman

To all...

I'm not sure how mine got fixed, but I no longer have this issue. Since I posted the issue in this forum, I've done multiple updates and switched to all kinds of different clock apps.

After testing all the various Clock apps, PIN screen settings, Lock Screen settings, etc... (about a 3 week span of time) ... I went back to the original app I loved called "Kaloer Clock".  Being 3 weeks later, the app went through a few updates to include using it's own alarm clock and not the system alarm clock (via the apps settings). I have not had the issue since.

To add, the developer is very responsive to questions. He answered my questions and followed up with me.  Best of all... it's a free app.  I added the link below.  Check out the screenshots too. It has many skins to choose from and I use the one that literally looks like a normal digital alarm clock. You can disable notification sounds between certain hours, setup multiple alarms, control the brightness of the screen so it doesn't blind you in the middle of the night, and a cool thing I like... I have it set so when I plug it in to the charger between 10pm and 8am ... the clock automatically starts so you don't have to go into the app or menu to launch it.

I'm not into selling other people's apps ... this this is an awesome app.

http://www.kaloer.com/

I hope this helps.

-ZenTsang

Journeyman

Thank you so very much! I needed this for power outages and NO ONE could help me. I am giving this a try. Thanks again!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat